All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 6:29 am

Post subject: New WOTR player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all,

Well as the subject says I'm just starting off with WOTR and I'm struggling to put an army together from my sbg models. I've got the following:

Balin
Gimli
Dwarf captain
Dwarf with banner

16 x DW's with shields
16 x DW's with 2HW
16 x DW's with bows
16 x khazad guard

So I have a game tomorrow and was wondering if someone could construct a list for me? The main things Im having trouble with are what sized formations I should make, where to put heroes and which formations should I put the banner and captain in.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Post subject: Re: New WOTR player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Stephen,

What points total is this for? My main comment is that what you have is very troop-light by WOTR standards but 'needs must' etc. FWIW, I've seen smallish armies do pretty well at low points totals (ie 500-750ish points) by using a big hero to 'pour on' the Might and be proactive rather than just slug it out.

Ideally, I think you want any defense 6(8) formation (or even 5(7) ) to be at least 24 models (ie three coy) strong and any defense 6 (incl shield) or below formation to be 5 coy at the minimum. Those are targets and probably wont fit your collection now though. Personally, I would put the Captain in the largest and toughest (ie high defense) unit and have that in the middle of the battle. The Captain's might would be used to generate heroic fights (all formation in that fight take part in this, and all can re-charge if they win) teamed up with other units. I wouldn't bother with a banner unless you are padding points.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, for starters probably divide the archers up to pad out the shield and the 2HW formations so you have 24 in each.

I think I would also try putting Gimli in with one of the 2HW guys (either warriors or khazad guard). Trust Dwarvish defense to keep them around long enough and use Epic Rampage, with the 2HW maximizing the number of hits his company can make.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just a small clarification, since he's new to WOTR, to be clear: Epics in the game are a flexible resource and what FL is saying is that the combo of Gimli's rampage with the best to-hit numbers you can get is very effective, which it is. So put them together to get a good hit(s) in on the enemy.

However, one thing I have found very useful is to keep my Epics always moving about the battlefield, based on where they will be most useful each turn. This has a couple of advantages: It is obviously more efficient but also has the useful effect of making your gameplan less clear to your opponent - because that Epic could be leading an attack from multiple angles in any given turn. I think this element of WOTR is quite important to doing well (and Good players have to fight smarter to beat some of the Evil lists out there) and definitely adds to the fun and involvement in each turn.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well thanks for the advice everyone,

Played the game there last Thursday and got a victory for the dwarves! We played 550pts, I had 3 coy 2HW with gimli, 3 coy shields and 2 coy of khazad guard with a captain. My opponent had 7 coy of goblins with shields and durburz and a drum and 3 coy of goblins with bows and 2 cave trolls.

Mixing in the archers into bolstering my two formations turned out to be a great idea as they were far more effective. We played a simple, he who doesn't die wins, game. Gimli and the 2HW charged the big formation with durburz, the shields managed to get the charge on the trolls and because of some bad deployment on my part the khazad guard spent the game chasing after his archers before finally catching them 4 turns later and then getting tied up in the ensuing combat for another 2.

The shields were great killing both trolls in 3 turns, not letting them charge me was a big advantage, and gimlis formation done well but it was a game of attrition getting through 7 coy of goblins. Not sure we got the rules right on panic. What exactly happens after you lose a fight? Oh and how do you take courage tests?

All in all was a really enjoyable game, definitely going to play a lot more WOTR now, focussing on expanding both my dwarf armies and mordor to WOTR size now. Not looking forward to buying all the metals mordor needs.. Anyone have any helpful tips on saving money when collecting mordor? I quite like mordor uruks, maybe Uruk scouts would be a good substitute??

Cheers,
Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

After a fight you separate the formations, total up the casualties on each side, and all the formations on the side with the most casualties rolls a die on the Panic table and applies the results.

For a courage test, you just roll two dice, and add your Courage (C) value and if its more than 10 you pass.

That is, if I get it right myself, and haven't forgotten anything :)

:puppy:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah, cheers!

What are your thoughts on Balin vs gimli? Is goblin bane worth it against goblins?

Cheers,
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Balin's Goblinbane special rule DOES NOT transfer to his formation, and sas such the special rule is useless and its only purpose is for fluff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually is useful when you roll his dice against an enemy 8)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hilbert wrote:
Actually is useful when you roll his dice against an enemy 8)

No it isn't because Special rules like Goblinbane never transfer to Balin's formation or company. The special rule has no effect. Check the FAQ if you don't believe me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf is right about the FAQ. I know, because I checked for Ringwraith's Spirits Grasp (that would OP them further than they are already).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well I didn't mean that... I meant that in a company who strikes Balin does one of the eight attacks... ISo the rule only is used for this dice but I don't know if it is right either :roll:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi Hilbert, Balin isn't one of those attacks in a rules-sense. He is just another model on the tray. Instead, that coy benefits from his fight value and likely gets some extra attacks that way. :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok, so let me get this right..Balin < gimli?

Fielded gimli the other day and had great fun with epic rampage, I found that without it Balin just couldn't get through those big ass companies of black shields like gimli could. Come to think of it that's what lost me the game.

Cheers,
Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dain, Dain is the hero you want. Balin is then a good secondary hero but equally I could see the argument of another spellcaster that can also keep recharging his might via Epic renewal or Counsellor. That becomes very costly though. Gimli is a kind of "poor man's Dain."

Cheers