Uruk-hai 40%  40%  [ 17 ]
Goblins 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Orcs and Uruk-hai 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Orcs and Goblins 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Goblins and Uruk-hai 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
All the same 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
None 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: Orcs, Uruk-hai or Goblins?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

IMO, goblins look too uniform to be a horde army.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Orcs were the mainstay of evil forces in Tolkien's works. PJ gave us mass armies of Uruk Hai, but it was partly to simplify the complexity of the world as well as provide a higher level of tension. The hordes that assaulted Helms Deep were thousands of Orcs and wild Men, as well as the Fighting Uruk Hai. Mordor also had it's Uruk Hai, but it had an almost unlimited supply of orc as well.

In the game I really enjoy playing a strong compliment of Orcs and enforcing them with Uruk Hai Scouts (my favorite combo for Isengard) or Morannon Orc and Mordor Uruk Hai.

As for the Goblins...they are just a little too "same" for my liking as an army (same reason I may never get into Gondor) but are a fantastic horde force, cheap to field in both real money and points, quick to paint and the ultimate example of disposable evil troops. Having to start from scratch though, I just don't think I can do a decent force of them without loosing what little bit of sanity I pretend to still have.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Mordor also had it's Uruk Hai,

Can anyone provide a reference for this? I've looked in my copies of the books and all I can find is references to uruks in Mordor, not Uruk-hai.

I've always read it as Uruk is a name for large orks, while Uruk-hai, which I have only seen referenced as Sauruman's troops, were the "goblin-men" that Sauruman bred. Since I signed up for forums though I have seen several people mention that Mordor had Uruk-hai and I don't know where they are getting that idea.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Uruk Hai were the greater Orcs in Middle Earth. They were first used by Sauron, and then Saruman made his own version which looked different and may have even been an improvement (with regard to tolerance of light specifically and looking more like Men). I believe there are references in FotR when in Moria of the Orcs (goblins) there including larger Orcs of Mordor. Shagrat and others are described in later books as being these larger Orcs (though I think Gorbag was as well in the books).

Last spring I started yet another re-read of the books but set it down just after reaching TTT. I got back into it about a month ago and am just past Helms Deep so when I get into RotK I’ll try to remember to keep an eye out for some of the references for the Mordor Uruk Hai.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Both armies are awesome I believe... It's another thing we put them in an order considering our like...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ForgottenLore wrote:
Beowulf03809 wrote:

Can anyone provide a reference for this? I've looked in my copies of the books and all I can find is references to uruks in Mordor, not Uruk-hai.

I've always read it as Uruk is a name for large orks, while Uruk-hai, which I have only seen referenced as Sauruman's troops, were the "goblin-men" that Sauruman bred. Since I signed up for forums though I have seen several people mention that Mordor had Uruk-hai and I don't know where they are getting that idea.

They were mentioned in the FoTR during the Fellowship's flight through Moria, between the Chamber of Mazarbul and the run to the Bridge IIRC.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Beowulf03809 wrote:
As for the Goblins...they are just a little too "same" for my liking as an army.

That's what I said, they should all look different, like hordes should be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree, goblins is so much alike... :)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Elland wrote:
ForgottenLore wrote:
Beowulf03809 wrote:

They were mentioned in the FoTR during the Fellowship's flight through Moria, between the Chamber of Mazarbul and the run to the Bridge IIRC.

That passage describes "large and evil: black Uruks of Mordor", not Uruk-Hai just regular orcs of a large size. There are similar comments, I think, when Sam and Frodo are getting through Cirith Ungol, always just "Uruk" never "Uruk-Hai"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, and Uruks and Uruk-hai are the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No an Uruk-hai was imporvement of normal Uruk :no:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Yes, and Uruks and Uruk-hai are the same thing.

Based on what?

Like I said in my first post on this subject,

Quote:

And so far no one has been able to provide me with any evidence to the contrary, so I don't know where GW got the idea that Mordor should have Uruk-Hai

Other people have much greater knowledge of the source material than i do, especially the supplementary stuff, so I could well not have access to the information, but nowhere in the core 4 books can I find a reference to Mordor Uruk-Hai or any indication that "-Hai" does not refer to Sauruman's creations.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sorry this is in incredibly late response but Mordor did have Uruk-hai and Uruk is just the shortened form of Uruk-hai, you've even admitted that you don't have knowledge of the source material - its not GW that decided Mordor had Uruk-hjai, they got it from the movies who got it from the fiilms. And 'Hia is not a suffix to Saruman's creatuions because the word Olog-hai refers to a breed of Troll which is to normal trolls what uruks are to orcs, annd Olog-hai are found ONLY in the armies or Mordor and Dol Guldor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you've even admitted that you don't have knowledge of the source material

No, I said I don't have extensive knowledge of the supplemental material such as unfinished tales and the histories of middle earth, I am quite well versed in the core sources.

I have, however, finally found something on my own that suggests it. In Cirith Ungol, one of the Orcs makes a reference to rebel Uruk-Hai. Not terribly likely that any of Sauruman's troops are lurking about on the borders of Mordor so I will take that as sufficient evidence of the existence of Mordor Uruk-Hai.

Its still a pretty obscure reference so I don't know why so many people were so sure, and I really don't know why NO ONE, on 3 different forums, in several different threads, over the course of about 2 years, EVER provided ANY evidence to support the statement.

But I am content now and shall be silent on the subject.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I picked Uruk-Hai, only because I will always despise the Orc and the Goblin for being my opposite number. Every game I play, I find myself most happy with fighting either of those two. Orcs and Goblins, in almost all settings, rely so heavily on their numbers overwhelming the enemy while my armies are almost always outnumbered 2 or 3 to 1 but slice through the enemy like a sword through cloth. Uruks (Uruk, Uruk-Hai, same difference) I have respect for on the field of battle. They are strong, they are well-armoured and they fight better than Orcs, Goblins or even Men. Therefore the Uruk-Hai is this poll's Deadliest Warrior. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Firstly, Hi WayUndertheMountain and welcome for your opinion, you missed this the first time round, IMO the only good uruk-hai are Mordor Uruk-hai

ForgottenLore wrote:
you've even admitted that you don't have knowledge of the source material

No, I said I don't have extensive knowledge of the supplemental material such as unfinished tales and the histories of middle earth, I am quite well versed in the core sources.

I have, however, finally found something on my own that suggests it. In Cirith Ungol, one of the Orcs makes a reference to rebel Uruk-Hai. Not terribly likely that any of Sauruman's troops are lurking about on the borders of Mordor so I will take that as sufficient evidence of the existence of Mordor Uruk-Hai.

Its still a pretty obscure reference so I don't know why so many people were so sure, and I really don't know why NO ONE, on 3 different forums, in several different threads, over the course of about 2 years, EVER provided ANY evidence to support the statement.

But I am content now and shall be silent on the subject.

I am glad you are content but there are more than just one obscure reference. If yo want to know Sauron employed Mordor Uruk-hai before Saruman was even evil

Quote:
However, the Uruk-hai did not remain exclusively in Sauron's service

Uruk-hai is Black Speech;
Quote:
The name given by Sauron...

AndI just want to bring a little attention =towards this battle, it suggest that Mordor Uruk-hai were not unbeatable, but shows they took part in a battle, in an army composed entirely or almost entirely of Mordor Uruk-hai (they also appeared in Cirith Ungol and at the Battle of Pelennor Fields):

Quote:
They first appeared in 2475 Third Age, when a strong force attacked the outposts of Ithilien and captured Osgiliath; this army was later drivn out by Boromir, son of Ruling Steward Denethor I

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Orcs since I prefer the way they have a more varied wargear, the skin colour is different too and these things make them funny to paint imo.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Uruk-hai of course :) a huge army of uruks looks awsome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Uruks are huge, violent and brilliant fighters, unquestionably loyal.

Orcs and Goblins are weak, cowardly, small, treacherous little things.

Guess what i chose...

:puppy:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Orcs and Goblins are the exact same thing in the book, the goblins are just the orcs that "went native" so to speak in the Misty Mountains while the orcs remained directly under the command of Sauron through the Nazgul. I like how GW represented the fact that they were more used to the caves of Moria by making them different in the ways they did. Uruk-hai (which Uruk is black speech for orc, Uruk-hai refers only to the Uruk-hai. However, most people just call orcs orcs and Uruk-hai uruks) were created by Sauron in the late 3rd Age to make a better orc, which based on the battle that Gothmog mentioned earlier, he did just that. Saruman then later got the "recipe" to make the Uruk-hai and added his own variation to it, making the "Fighting Uruk-hai", basically just better Uruk-hai. This is where the confusion over the different kinds of orcs comes from. Because they are the better orcs, I vote for the Uruk-hai. Shagrat is probably one of my favorite bad guys in the book, a loyal Uruk was something not seen in Mordor til he popped up. Obviously Ugluk and co were pretty loyal, but they were from Isengard.