All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:27 am

Post subject: Favourite Monsters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sometimes when playing, it can be fun to change things up a bit and chuck in something larger and more menacing. What are your favourite monsters to play with or against? (Classifying monster here as troll and up)

Personally I haven't tried out many monsters, but I did give the Dragon a go. It was great until it got cut down by several powerful elf heroes. Thinking about trying out the Cave Drake soon if I can work out the profile (GW still delaying putting up the WD profiles online despite it being yonks ago). Oh and my friend got a Mumak recently which I'm itching to prove myself against. In my opinion, it's hard to beat one of the classic 'monsters' of the game. Though Gulhavar looks fun in terms of newer monsters.

So what have you enjoyed using or battling or are looking forward to battling in future?
 Post subject: Re: Favourite Monsters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When Cave drake is out on finecast I am planning getting one or two or even three... I just love those drakes :-D
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have a mordor troll which I usually play with, I prefer the old design of it. http://milsims.cdn.kept.com.au/sites/mi ... 004218.jpg I will probably buy the giant bats too, haven't checked out the stats for them though but the model is cracking so I'll buy them anyway.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fell Beasts do it for me. I have stopped at 10 models until I can justify...more :-)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Papa Hoth wrote:
Fell Beasts do it for me. I have stopped at 10 models until I can justify...more :-)

...10 Fell Beasts? That's probably about 1 more than you need :? ...unless you're just having fun making various conversions. :?:

The Mumuk is good in both games and probably one of the most impressive (if not THE most impressive) looking single model you can have on the table. I really enjoy using it though it's not always the most effective in the game.

I do enjoy Trolls and Ents a lot too but in each case you need to have multiples of them, or use the Hero versions, for them to have much possitive effect in WotR. In SBG it's a different story as a single Troll/Ent can often carry its weight against common troops (don't get surrounded! :no: ) or give you the punch needed to take out a major Hero.

A Dragon is a great model for either game system but I have so far only played against them.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mumakil are fun to use, but can be easily stopped. I guess the same applies to most monsters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mordor Trolls and Fell Beasts for me. They look awesome and imposing on the battlefield, and they manage to rip my opponents apart on a regular basis. Always fun!

Mumakil are close runners up too. Having two of them maraud over the Pelennor Fields is great; only bested once I get my third one painted up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fell beasts all the way, in terms of theme. For gameplay, the humble Isengard Troll Captain will take it, as it's the only monster (except for a dusty Cave Troll that came with MoM) that I actually own.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mumak are great, but they only have F4, so a good hero and alot of 2-handers, assuming they survived the trample attack, can take it out rather easily. Always make sure that you call a heroic move if needed. I adore the Balrog, though he's best as a one-on-one against heros. His lack of might is always his downfall, if you don't get a 6, he's going to lose to most any hero. I have used trolls (Cave and Isengard) to varying levels of success, usually having more with the Cave Troll. Because they are cheaper than the bigger monsters, I don't feel so bad when they die, and they also have an easier time earning their points back. Haven't tried any of the others. So basically, the Balrog backed up with a cave troll is my favorite combo, and it hasn't failed me yet. All of this is talking about SBG, by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Monsters monsters monsters. Imo all evil monsters are awesome. I particularly like the animalistic ones eg dragons, cave drakes, spider queens, mumakil and fell beasts. In game terms, i love buhrdur and gulavhar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dracula is still my favorite monster and vampire.
denver seo services