All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:15 am

Post subject: Re: Supporting Attacks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Supporting a transfixed model does nothing.

".. he rolls one dice regardless of how many attacks he normally has."

He only gets to roll one die regardless of the number of attacks. Adding another attack on top doesn't change this.

about the rest:
- He can be shot at by an enemy model without fear of the shooter 'shooting into combat'
as long as the combat isn't in the way of the shot then yes

- He can be compelled away from the fight
Yes he can be compelled freely. He is NOT in the fight, remenber that.

- A combat does not get the benefit of a banner's re-roll if only the supporting spearman is in range of the banner
Yup, you need a model in the fight within range and the spearman isn't in the fight

- The spearman has to test for courage for force being broken even if he was supporting a warrior in combat at the beginning of his move phase.
Yup, once again he's not in the fight so that exception doesn't apply

- The spearman does not get knocked over by a charging cavalry model if he was only supporting the model being charged
Yes, he's not part of the fight.

- While supporting a model with his spear, if a banner-bearer in base contact is killed, he can stop supporting the other model, drop all his gear, and pick up the banner.
Well yes. If you had already resolved the fight where he gave support then yay, if not, looks like someone is gonna have a harder turn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks! That clarifies heaps! :D
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or in one sentence. A supporting model is never counted as part of the Fight. As it says in the rule book :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hithero wrote:
Or in one sentence. A supporting model is never counted as part of the Fight. As it says in the rule book :)

Curse your simplicity! :-X

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Regarding transfixed models- that is how I have always done it as well- wich does make sense. My apologies about the troll- mine tends to see a small reflection of himself in a little puddle, and promptly do a face plant, thereby drowning- it is a most embarrasing situation. While the easterling next to him surfs across on his shield. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Valamir wrote:
Regarding transfixed models- that is how I have always done it as well- wich does make sense.

I agree. Being transfixed reduces the models attacks to one, but the supporting attack from the spearman isn't technically the transfixed model's attack - it is a bonus attack granted by the spear support. Therefore the transfixed model would still add one attack from the supporting spear. It also makes sense logically because the spearman himself isn't transfixed and could still help the transfixed model win the fight. However even if the spearman helps the transfixed model to win the fight, the transfixed model doesn't strike blows even with the spear support because his transfixed states prevents him from striking blows and, presumably, he also blocks the spearman from striking a blow as well.

It is the same, as I see it, as a charging cavalry model that gets transfixed. When a cavalry model charges and is transfixed, it is the rider himself who is transfixed - not the horse. Therefore, the charging horse would still grant an extra attack + knock down because the transfix spell hasn't stopped the impetus of the horse. Due to the rider being transfixed, however, no blows are struck if the fight is won. A problem with this theory arises if the mount is a warg. One might presume that the warg could still strike, even if the rider is transfixed. If this were the case, would the warg only have one attack from charging instead of two because the rider is transfixed? I am inclined to think that this is reading too much into the rules at this point and would rule that the warg does not strike because the transfixed rider is too dazed to spur it on.

I'm not 100% sure I am right here - it is merely my interpretation of what seems a grey area. I guess it's one of those things best agreed upon by players before the game starts.

Valamir wrote:
My apologies about the troll- mine tends to see a small reflection of himself in a little puddle, and promptly do a face plant, thereby drowning- it is a most embarrasing situation. While the easterling next to him surfs across on his shield. Go figure.

I empathise. My trolls seem to be affected by the same spontaneous syndrome. I have also come to the conclusion that orc archers are really elf archer spies in disguise. When shooting at Good troops they 'miss', blaming it on the shoddiness of their bows and squintiness of their eyes and all that. But when shooting at a good target partially blocked by an evil model, they show their true colours, hitting my own model with perfect aim and deadly force.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just suddenly realised Valamir that you may not have been agreeing with me but with Lonely Knight. Apologies if I have misconstrued your statement.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Transfixed models only get 1 Attack, regardless of support.
1) Spears. "The supported model gets one extra Attack for that combat" 1+1=2 Atacks
2) Transfixed. "...and he rolls one dice regardless of how many attacks he normally has" =1A. The rules does not say that his Attack stat is reduced to 1 but the number of attacks he has is reduced.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I can agree with that.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:10 pm 
Does the support attack bonus also apply to rolls for wound or just to the "who wins melee" roll? In a recent game, one side felt that the support attack bonus was to represent morale boost from having support, but should not be included for actually physically striking to inflict wound. Thank you in advance for clarification.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, it contributes to wounding as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 pm 
Thank you Draugluin for the clarification.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@oredds- Actually, I do believe that I was agreeing with you. At least, if your position was that the model that is transfixed and supported gets two attacks but does not strike blows if he wins. And seeing as I usually try to kill what I transfix, I have yet to find that interpretation to be a problem! Also, my orc archers are most similar- though they are one of the deadliest sets of evil archers I have (surpassed only by my uruks- I haven't figured out what's wrong with my evil men- but the orcs- woe betide you if you are a friend and in the way! Particularly if you are a high-defense friend, such as a wraith. They love their normal Ringwraiths. Go figure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

*Q. Can a model which has been transfixed/immobilized/commanded/compelled shield or be spear supported.
*A. Technically, yes, either of those options could be used. However, in any case, the model will only be able to roll 1 dice regardless of the number of attacks or extra dice that are imparted because of the shielding or spear support.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Say a foot WoM is in combat with 1 sword-armed Mordor Orc. The Orc is supported by 1 spear-armed and 1 pike-armed -- the supports are not in base contact with each other, just in contact with the sword-armed Orc. The spear-armed then is supported by a pike-armed as well. How many attacks does the Orc get?

Is it? :roll:
Possible answer A: 1 normal + 1 pike support + 1 spear support + 1 more pike support behind the spear = 4
Possible answer B. 1 normal + 1 pike/spear support + 1 pike support behind the spear = 3

Thanks for any replies.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You only gain an advantage for one spear model that's in base contact. So you only get 3 at most for an orc warrior, whereas Aragorn can have 5.

On a side note, can the Golden King be supported?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for your reply to my question.

Golden King of Abrakhan. I am not sure, but I donot think that a warrior who decides to use a 2-handed weapon in combat can be supported by spear/pike. I thought I read that somewhere, but I am not sure of the exact source -- book, page number... Perhaps someone else may help answer this question for us. Sorry, I am a beginner with less than 5 gaming experience.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If the Golden King elects to use a hand weapon, then he could be supported by a modles whose bases is equla size or large than his, normal spearmen could not support him, whereas Cave Trolls and Isengard Trolls could.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:21 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

His base is the same size as anyone elses, he just has 2 of them. In any case, his 4 attacks are more than enough, I was just wondering.
What about if he gets knocked over? I figure he just stands back up the next turn as normal, it just looks weird having him laying there like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Good question! The Golden King carries a two handed (but does not suffer the -1 penalty) therefore most people wouldn't chose to use a hand weapon instead, use the 4 attacks with +1 to wound, but you could in theory support it.

Also it says it cannot be attacked or wounded separately, therefore if they are knocked to the ground, lie all models on the ground.

"The Golden King and his bearers are represented by a single model with the combined profile shown above"