All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:34 pm

Post subject: Converting Isengarders and Goblisn into Mordor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello I've got a bunch of Goblins and a Cave Troll from Mines of Moria and about 12 Uruk-Hai from a friend and I would like to know how I can convert the following models.
Goblins = Mordor Orcs
Isengard Uruk-Hai = Mordor Uruks
Cave Troll = Mordor Troll

I am very limited on green stuff and other hobby supplies so basic steps please. If possible I can repaint them into Mordor-style and just call it that.

Post subject: Re: Converting Isengarders and Goblisn into Mordor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do you have any other models? If you got the plastic Troll set then you could use the spare armour from that kit to give the Cave Troll a bit more of a Mordorish look.

I use Goblins in my Mordor force as they are; they say a bunch of times in the films and books that Sauron was drawing all evil to him. Nothing to suggest Goblins would've ignored that call. Having said that, a different paint scheme might be all that it takes to set them apart a bit more. Most schemes have them green skinned, maybe do them yellow, or red instead?

I'd be very, very interested to see what anyone else has to say about the Uruk conversions. The Mordor Uruks have a heap of cloth on them, and not so much armour like the Isengard ones do, so if you were to convert them with green stuff you might just want to add folds of cloth over their bodies and paint them accordingly.
A more involved conversion job would probably look better though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

1) I only have the Cave Troll from MoM nothing else. I'm thinking of just adding random bits of cloth and metal pieces here and there to make the Troll look like a scavenger so it seems Mordor-ish.

2)I'll probably just paint the goblins in a different scheme like you said

3) This is the toughest one, I have no clue how to do this. I have 12 Isengarders and I have only barely enough green stuff to make 3 of em' look like Mordor Uruks probably just gona go caveman-style and carve out the armor with a knife and paint it over brown so it looks like rags.

also I'm attempting to convert Glorfindel into a Nazgul, the Shadowlord of be specific lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

PippinMeatShield wrote:
also I'm attempting to convert Glorfindel into a Nazgul, the Shadowlord of be specific lol

This seems to be a crime against nature.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PippinMeatShield wrote:
IsleStaggerholm wrote:
This seems to be a crime against nature.
It may be, but I've got to say it has a certain evil humor to it.

Cave Troll -> Mordor Troll: If you want to field it according to the rules, this can't be done. The Mordor Troll uses a bigger base & is a much larger model than the cave troll. That said, I personally have 2 cave trolls for use as such in a 2nd Age Mordor host. 8)

Goblins -> Mordor Orcs: Here, (at the moment) I can't help you. I'll take a look at one of my spare sprues when I get the time, but I'd say your best bet is to just do like you said last post. Seems to me that gobbos would make great scouts for the rocky terrain of the Mountains of Mordor.

Isengard Uruk -> Mordor Uruk: Here I can be of more use. Here's what you'll need:
1) Isengard Uruk Hai
2) Hobby knife
3) paper
4) green stuff
5) pictures of Mordor Uruk Hai - easily found through google
6) superglue

First of all: Don't use the Green Stuff for the main conversion! You said you don't have much, so you can't afford to use it too early.
The main thing about M. Uruks is that they basically look like they've covered over their Isengard armor with leather & cloth. So, most of the work is going to be cutting pieces of paper into shapes you like & gluing them onto the Uruks.
However, first you need to prep the orcs themselves. Take your knife and cut the fans off all the Uruk helmets. Then cut the sword blades so they look like the guy on the right. Further trim the shields to that they have a shape that is more appropriately Mordor - or at least something you're satisfied with.

I'm assuming that this group contains pikemen, so I'll include extra instructions for them: Cut off the pike shaft a bit above the left hand. It's hard to give you an exact distance to measure, but this is the only place you'll actually need any Green Stuff: That extra bit is going to be built up into 2-handed weapons. For the guys thrusting their pikes forward, you can snip the material between the hands away and do a bit of repositioning so they're closer together. When the glue has dried from that, you just sculpt something onto the plastic rod so that it looks appropriately club-like. You might choose to save one of the guys holding his pike upright for a banner, but remember to cut off at least part of the pike-head so that it looks more Mordor-ish.

As I said, the next stage is going to be the most work. However, it's pretty simple to describe. You just cut out pieces of paper to strips of varying width and length to be put onto your minis. Make sure that you know where you want each piece before you glue it on. You can also get the stuff a little wet - only a little, mind, or it'll tear when you work with it - and actually shape the paper so that it isn't just dangling there.
After you're happy with each strip, glue it on and spread a very little extra glue over the whole strip. Make sure that your eyes are several feet away while you're doing this, because superglue can react chemically with paper - something I found out the hard way - and can burn your eyes. If you can avoid that, though, the extra glue will strengthen the paper so that it's a hundred times better (in both shape and stability) for when you're ready to paint.

That's really all there is to it. Once everything's set and cured, you just paint it all how you want it to look.
And post some pix so we can see your new guys. :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:35 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@TOR
thnx mate

1) I guess I could glue the Troll onto a 60mm base I mean, in all honesty the Olog-Hai doesn't look that much bigger than the Cave Trolls in fact for a long time I thought CT looked slightly bigger in the movies but guess I was wrong

2) I will be doing what Necromancer said in that I'm not going to convert them just going to change the color scheme to fit Mordor

3) Thank you very much for the info on converting Uruk-Hai. I have only one question: by Paper you mean those standard A4 white printing papers? or something a bit more fancier? Also can I use PVA glue instead for gluing the paper

anyways thanks again for the advice I may post some pics just don't expect something great, I'm a terrible converter and painter :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

orcs are dirt cheap on ebay, dime a dozen. If money is an issue, go mow some lawns or something else and earn some coin. (would be about the same amount of time to make a conversion in the end.)

I'm personally not a big fan about representing something big with something small as there can be hurt feelings when an issue arises, but I understand your just trying to make due.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Parent don't give me money for doing chores, they expect me to it without asking so I have no way in getting lots of money.
oh well just doing what TheOneRider told me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PippinMeatShield wrote:
by Paper you mean those standard A4 white printing papers? or something a bit more fancier? Also can I use PVA glue instead for gluing the paper
Basic printer paper is what I would use, but that's mostly because it's what I've got. I expect that something like construction paper would work just as well - it's absolutely perfect for orc banners.
For the PVA glue, I don't see why it should be a real problem: PVA will break down over time, which is why any kindergarten projects you've still got have probably started turning brown. And, it'll be a bit trickier to shape because the glue's water based. However! That should remove the chemical reaction issue, which is a pretty good tradeoff. The main question is whether you can water the glue down enough to work with it easily, and whether it seems too much like working with paper mache.

Quote:
anyways thanks again for the advice I may post some pics just don't expect something great, I'm a terrible converter and painter
Don't ever let inexperience bother you. I'm nowhere near as good a painter as a lot of the guys here, but I'm much better than I was when I started. Just keep going when you can, and never be afraid to do things differently than the official instructions - I don't think there even are official instructions for this Uruk Hai conversion. Make sure that you learn (at least a little) from every project you do, and you'll be an expert before you know it. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A little late, but I have two points to chime in with.

1. Goblins archers make good Orc Trackers due to their smaller size and being easy to distinguish (unless the rest of your Orcs are Goblins :P). Gaming wise they're also a better choice than standard archers as they trade a defence for a shoot value for the same price. Sure, they'll die slightly quicker, but they're Orcs and going to die in droves anyway. At least you'll be hitting with half your shots instead of 2 thirds and makes them more likely to actually do something.

2. The talk of converting Isengard Uruks to Mordor Uruks has inspired me. I had a quick attempt at it last night on an old, savaged Uruk. Here's a shot if you're interested in seeing how it went:
Yeah I still need to work out colour scheme stuff and his arms have been scavenged for other projects. Anyway, the main things I did were to alter the helmet and the body. For the helmet I scraped off the crest and smoothed the area and got rid of the two protruding parts either side of the mouth which I felt were rather distinctive. The torso was just made by filing/scraping (I never actually use a file, I just scrape with the edge of my knife) away the plates and then using my knife to make creases which I hoped would look like folds. If I did use greenstuff, I'd probably add two spots to the sides of the legs to help cover them a bit as the Mordor Uruk models show far less of their legs.

Anyway, good luck and I hope my experiments might be of use to someone! 8)