All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW release LOTR models
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't think the price of the new commands is too bad, they were £15.50 before so about £5 per model. At £20.50 that is still about £5 per model.

Annoying though that they only contain 1 new model if you already have the command boxes. Glad I didn't run out and buy the Isengard one at the last minute now.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

WTF is up with the legs on that Watcher?! :roll: I thought it looked okay until I saw the insectoid back half. Looking at the sideshow weta model below, I can't see any legs, nor do I recall Tolkien writing that it had legs. More GW made up blurb. :-X

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's a right model... :D :D :D
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

that weta model looks better for sure!
wow I really like the new command box sets, 4 is quite a good idea- one elite, one hornblower, 1 captain and 1 banner bearer in each is a pretty nice mix too. £20 isn't such a good idea but I will probably chuck some stuff on ebay to fund buying one- probably the elves command set as i love the new model, however the rohan new figure with a bow looks appealing, as does the old captain of rohan, not to sure on the dwarf command though. I think the gondor set will be most popular due to it already having those three great models.

We should start a new thread with just the new models in them when they come out- then we can see what they are like out there box and it is likely we will have all the new releases between us so can make a february new release community painting page!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ukfreddybear wrote:
WTF is up with the legs on that Watcher?! :roll: I thought it looked okay until I saw the insectoid back half. Looking at the sideshow weta model below, I can't see any legs, nor do I recall Tolkien writing that it had legs. More GW made up blurb. :-X

There are no legs in the movie or on the Weta model because the rest of the body is underwater...

Remember the Tolkien estate are very picky- every last model GW produce has to be approved before it can be made.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh and a heads-up. Popped into a GW earlier this morning and was told that an email went round saying the WD price for the new books is wrong and they're £15 each, not £12.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I wonder how many things are priced wrong in White Dwarf. I've contacted GW but no reply yet.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Are there any statistics or even just names of unrealesed miniatures in new rulebooks, that may appear in future (as it was in LoME)?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All i know is that i cant buy and i dont want it anyway. Why? First GW doesnt deliver to my coutry ( THANK YOU GW FOR BEEING SUCH A .....****::p*) And second, it is realy expensive :) anyway all im interested is the easterlings...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Chris wrote:
All i know is that i cant buy and i dont want it anyway. Why? First GW doesnt deliver to my coutry ( THANK YOU GW FOR BEEING SUCH A .....****::p*) And second, it is realy expensive :) anyway all im interested is the easterlings...

Hey other online stores ships to Portugal, for example wayland games. They even sell GW products for a slightly cheaper price, as well. Check them out!

I probably won't buy any of the new minis, but the new books are a must!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

orc-archer wrote:
Chris wrote:

Hey other online stores ships to Portugal, for example wayland games. They even sell GW products for a slightly cheaper price, as well. Check them out!

I probably won't buy any of the new minis, but the new books are a must!

Thanks! i will check that website now 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just got email back from GW to say the prices in White Dwarf are all correct except for the warrior boxed sets (the ones reduced from 24 to 12 models). So that means the books should be £12, I guess we'll have to see later how much they actually are.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well the Gorgoroth Beast would be the only model I would get if it wasn't in finecast at the ridiculous price they charge. From the WD picture shown of the top, I guess you can exclude the howdah and then make your own Grond or whatever else you want to have the Beast pull. Plastic Kataphraks with command is good (for plastic lovers, not me but I don't care anymore). Love the new horn blowers & Knight of the White Tower except finecast/price/& combined with old models. The rest are meh or just outright outrageous.

Has anybody noticed or even discuss the trend that when GW releases a rulebook like LOME or WOTR they have rules for non-existing future releases of models, but they never end up making them and have entirely different models instead not found in the past books? Have they given up on the idea of Werewolves, barbarians and the Wardens: Keys/Carrock? I guess they do whatever makes them feel good at the moment and never follow up on previous plans. The KotWT (Knight of the White Tower) would have made for a good prelude model for Hurin & his Wardens.

Thanks I'm an Ent & others for the info and pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It depends what approach they take, if they release the stats through WD then the rules end up scattered, but then people HAVE to buy the WD.

If they put the rules in the books, but then no models, we complain :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Has anybody noticed or even discuss the trend that when GW releases a rulebook like LOME or WOTR they have rules for non-existing future releases of models, but they never end up making them and have entirely different models instead not found in the past books? Have they given up on the idea of Werewolves, barbarians and the Wardens: Keys/Carrock? I guess they do whatever makes them feel good at the moment and never follow up on previous plans. The KotWT (Knight of the White Tower) would have made for a good prelude model for Hurin & his Wardens.

I was thinking exactly the same.

Also, does anyone know if any of the monsters & cheesy goblins will get any WotR rules?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It looks like the Kataphrakt boxed set has 2 identical frames, each 3 models and options to upgrade them to captain, banner or horn. The set also includes 2 dead Easterlings.

While the dead Easterlings are quite cool, surely they are also a missed opportunity to include foot models for when the horses get shot.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lorizael wrote:
There are no legs in the movie or on the Weta model because the rest of the body is underwater...

That is BS and you know it. :P The "body" GW have added would clearly be visible behind the head of the Weta model - but it isn't because it doesn't exist!

We both know that GW didn't think this model would sell well enough if it was restricted to just water based scenarios, so they've come up with the idea to give it legs so that it can also be used as a land based monster for all the power gamers out there. I can't imagine Tolkien ever pictured the Watcher scuttling across the plains of Rohan, or besieging the walls of Minas Tirith, but now it will happen. Why can't you admit it? It is solely a financially driven marketing plan.

Kind of ironic that the back half of GW's Watcher is a Weta bug.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It doesn't appeal to me... I love the watcher in the water because I love animals but I don't lke it having legs... Maybe cut them down :idea:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Have they given up on the idea of Werewolves, barbarians and the Wardens: Keys/Carrock?

For what ever reason, GW still has not produced things they promoted in the 80's. I learned awhile back I don't need to wait on them. There are lots of products out there to substitute for Werewolves, barbarians and the Wardens.
I am a Middle Earth fan not a GW fan.I am not going to limit myself to the GW hobby.

I don't like fine cast but I like some of the new models enough to buy them.Like I said I am ME fan. The finecast are no worse than some of the Heritage LOTR figures from the 70's. Before some of you fan boys go berserk that was hyperbole.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ukfreddybear wrote:
We both know that GW didn't think this model would sell well enough if it was restricted to just water based scenarios

Thats it right there !!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next