All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW release LOTR models
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

theavenger001 wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Also, the haradrim example army has 50% bows, though the Mordor army says the Great Beast counts as only one model in terms of bow limit. The Haradrim are ALSO 7 pts now.

Where are you getting this info, the WD?

The getting started sections of each of the 5 factions has a sample army list. See for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Also WotR has been moved to the "Expansions" section under LotR.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Telchar wrote:
On some of the pics, the Watcher has this weird sloping back, while on others it is round. Which is correct?!?

If you go to the GW website, you can see a 360 view of the model. It's difficult to explain, but the model as a whole looks very awkward.
Here's a link straight to the Watcher: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat750002a&prodId=prod1460123a
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
theavenger001 wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Also, the haradrim example army has 50% bows, though the Mordor army says the Great Beast counts as only one model in terms of bow limit. The Haradrim are ALSO 7 pts now.

Where are you getting this info, the WD?

The getting started sections of each of the 5 factions has a sample army list. See for yourself.

A theory we came up with today is that the Mûmak's crew count towards the bow limit even though they don't show on the list. That would take the total count to 22 models, thus making the 6 archers feasible. Makes sense when you think about it, it's just weird that they are not in the army list...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Jamros wrote:
Telchar wrote:
On some of the pics, the Watcher has this weird sloping back, while on others it is round. Which is correct?!?

If you go to the GW website, you can see a 360 view of the model. It's difficult to explain, but the model as a whole looks very awkward.
Here's a link straight to the Watcher: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat750002a&prodId=prod1460123a

Has a certain thickness to it until that kink, and then it both thins out and sags. I don't dislike how it looks. If something like that tried climbing out of the water I'd imagine it to look that sort of awkward.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Zogash wrote:
A theory we came up with today is that the Mûmak's crew count towards the bow limit even though they don't show on the list. That would take the total count to 22 models, thus making the 6 archers feasible. Makes sense when you think about it, it's just weird that they are not in the army list...

The picture only shows 12 Haradrim.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Zogash wrote:

Are we seeing different pictures? Oo I count The Betrayer, 12 Haradrim on foot, the Mûmak, and 8 Haradrim on the howdah. 22 in total.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=cat750022a&section=&pIndex=1&aId=20400011a&start=2&multiPageMode=true

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Starting to like the new models more and more . . . time to take out a second mortgage.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
Starting to like the new models more and more . . . time to take out a second mortgage.

I've been ebaying all sorts since I found out they were releasing new stuff - £30 more and I've got the lot covered :D oh except the books but i guess i don't really need them at this point.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
Zogash wrote:

I think it says in WD somewhere that they can have more bows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dezartfox wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Zogash wrote:

I think it says in WD somewhere that they can have more bows.

Scorpion's Sting special rule.... the cynic in me thinks this special rule was invented because the Haradrim warrior sprue is 50/50 spears and bows.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's what I figure. All of the sample armies contain a single (or 2) sprue of plastics, regardless of bow limit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Zogash wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Zogash wrote:

Are we seeing different pictures? Oo I count The Betrayer, 12 Haradrim on foot, the Mûmak, and 8 Haradrim on the howdah. 22 in total.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=cat750022a&section=&pIndex=1&aId=20400011a&start=2&multiPageMode=true

Oops, didn't see the 8 in the Howdah. It looks like those 8 come as part of the price of the Mumak.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

*Blows dust off of Dragon model* Looks like it is time for me to get back into LotR! Good thing I have two unpainted boxes of 24 Goblins!

Hmmm, that Watcher in the Water looks mighty tempting... I always need more monsters in my ranks!

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not bad timing. I was just thinking of breaking my self-imposed GW embargo and buying a monster of some sort (because I'm sadly lacking in anything larger than a Cave Troll) and now I have an additional 3 to choose from. I actually like them and think that they do fit in Middle Earth's imagery. The (front half of) Watcher looks like it does in the film, and as a biologist I can actually believe it's anatomy. Warhammery for me means a bit unrealistic in both imagery and proportions which this doesn't. The mini Balrog thing I had some trouble with initially but when compared to Gulhavar it's not that bad and it could fit in ME without too much trouble. I still think I'd go with one of the other monsters but at least I'm considering it which is a massive step up. The new command models are also lovely, particularly the Knight of the White Tower. It's just that I don't want to buy everything else in the box for one model. Maybe ebay. The only models I have issues with is the Goblin King and the three Goblins on Warg which is a shame as I collect and love Goblins (though disliked the Gundabads as well). They have no straps and I don't know how they're all staying on, particularly when both hands are busy with weapons and the Warg is leaping like that.

So now I just have to decide between the Watcher (I'm really tempted to use it in a Corsair army for nautical theme), the Gorgoroth Beast for a fledgling Mordor force or a Cave Drake...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really want to have that great beast of gorgoroth. Although my current financial situation won't allow me to have that anytime soon. I have never bought finecast before, but since I only buy off of ebay, is it worth the risk? Has anyone had major problems buying finecast of off ebay since you dont get a guarentee of a return if there is i a miscast? I'm also considering the watcher in the water just for that fellowship in the ring scenario, but would having just 1 model make the game boring? Or should I stick wih the 6 tentacles. Anyone know how much the beast of gorgoroth roughly costs?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
IsleStaggerholm wrote:

I've been ebaying all sorts since I found out they were releasing new stuff - £30 more and I've got the lot covered :D oh except the books but i guess i don't really need them at this point.

That's pretty impressive. Have you gotten below market value for the new models? I'm really trying to work magic with my hobby budget to get the boxes that I feel like I must have on opening day . . . probably not going to happen, but we'll see. Looking forward to seeing what you do with some of these new cool models. I still can't stand the Goblin King pose, but he seems easy enough to remove from that strange pillar and modify. I was hoping for a a bit more bulbous goblins than the ones in LOTR, that the Goblin King's army was always bigger in my mind. Not of fan of the 3 goblins per warg either. Wonder if this is a prelude to the PJ take . . . kind of hoping not. That all being said; extremely happy to see new LOTR materials.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh, forgot to ask but are people's perceptions of not being Middle Earthy (ish?) drawn just from the story or is it heavily biased from the movie? Because the Battle of Pelennor Fields is rather vague in the book, as is the Watcher's description and such and it just got me thinking is all about how strongly the movies influence our sense of canon. A fair bit understandably, but to the point where it has to match the movie's imagery to be acceptable?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well a lot of the younger generation that don't really know a world without the films I think might be heavily influenced, but I find myself often divergent with PJ vision. That's not to say that I don't appreciate what he brought to the table, but my mind is different, particularly with Lothlorian and the elves. I've read the books 20+ times over my life, probably have read the hobbit 40+ times. I'm very closely tied to my imagination for that book . . . going to have to put my wall up when I go see the films opening night. But I'm fairly good at creating the artistic disconnect and I am hoping to appreciate PJ vision--I just really hope the Goblins will be more industrious than they appeared in FotR and Moria. Time will tell, but the early releases from GW and their liscense leave me leary. That being said I will likely own two or more copies of each, because I am sick. I need one in original state and at least one to modify to my heart's content.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I usually criticise models for being generally poor (like a number of these new ones), but the ones I don't label as befitting of Middle-earth are usually because they seem to represent generic fantasy units that don't intrinsically evoke The Lord of the Rings. That is, you wouldn't look at them on their own and immediately think that they come from Middle-earth.

Having said that, it only really seems to apply to the more outlandish models. Looking at the Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth on my paint station here would possibly have the same problem, even though I think they fit nicely. It's a hard one.

The films certainly are a yard stick; perhaps not the only one but a very important one with which to judge GW's offerings. This might not be so essential if this system wasn't established around the films, but it is and so that factor dominates.
The Great Beast, for instance, is a model we see in the films. I think it sucks though, because it is being used in a manner contradictory (maybe not the right word) to that in which it was employed in The Return of the King. It's described by Tolkien as pulling Grond, it's shown in the film as pulling Grond, it's released by GW carrying Orcs. That doesn't line up for me.

To be honest though, I don't think many of these new models are particularly bad for not belonging in Middle-earth; certainly not so much as, say, Gulavhar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next