All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:33 pm

Post subject: Warriors of Rohan into Khandish Warriors?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, I need (or did until GW killed WotR) a 6 company formation of Khandish warriors but am not insdane or rich enough to buy that many metal models for such a large cheap to field formation. I was thinking that, with a little work, it may be possible to converts some Warriors of Rohan with a bit of repositioning tro make the non-archers have two-handed weapons, make them some backbanners and modify slightly their armour as I think they is some remininiscent, the helmets look similat as does some of their armour. Ideas?

Post subject: Re: Warriors of Rohan into Khandish Warriors?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thats gonna be hard mate... couldnt you search ebay? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ebay had horsemen once, but have never found any cheap infantry on ebay though... :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I know a shop, where is 50-60 discount, and they have khandish warriors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

On foot? Where are they and what are they called?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Might be cheaper and easier to buy some Wargame Factory Ashigaru. They all hace 2 handed spears so will be a doddle to swop for axes or halbereds.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmm, it seems possible. The historical Varangians were descendants of Vikings who settled in the Baltic region and Byzantium. If the Variags of Khand are meant to reflect the Varangians of Byzantium, then perhaps the Rohirrim would look more like Tolkien's Variags than GW's interpretation. Personally I rather like GW's Khandish models--and if you want your companies to look something like those models, I think Rohirrim would be quite difficult to convert.

Some alternative suggestions:
Wargames Factory Rising Sun: http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/rising-sun
Perry Miniatures Choson Korean Army: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_39
Perry Miniatures Samurai Armies: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_38
eBob Miniatures Tribes of the East: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tribes.htm
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or, if you want them to be GW-allowed (ie. when you play in GW stores, like me), use Haradrim with brass rod&paper banners on their backs. A bit of green stuff to make the spears into halberds, and you're set!

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

hithero wrote:
Might be cheaper and easier to buy some Wargame Factory Ashigaru. They all hace 2 handed spears so will be a doddle to swop for axes or halbereds.

Firstly, they are not GW allowed, secondly, I do not like the helmets, or clothing style.

Jamros wrote:
Hmm, it seems possible. The historical Varangians were descendants of Vikings who settled in the Baltic region and Byzantium. If the Variags of Khand are meant to reflect the Varangians of Byzantium, then perhaps the Rohirrim would look more like Tolkien's Variags than GW's interpretation. Personally I rather like GW's Khandish models--and if you want your companies to look something like those models, I think Rohirrim would be quite difficult to convert.

Some alternative suggestions:
Wargames Factory Rising Sun: http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/rising-sun
Perry Miniatures Choson Korean Army: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_39
Perry Miniatures Samurai Armies: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_38
eBob Miniatures Tribes of the East: http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tribes.htm

As with above, not GW and helmets I dislike, although I cannot see the ebob ones properly but I assume they are similar.

Telchar wrote:
Or, if you want them to be GW-allowed (ie. when you play in GW stores, like me), use Haradrim with brass rod&paper banners on their backs. A bit of green stuff to make the spears into halberds, and you're set!

I do want them to be GW allowed, but Haradrim look nothing like Khandush, they have turbans.

The reason I sugested Rohan was because 1. they are GW legal, 2. they look like Khandish in that they have similar helmets, leather armour and their cloaks look not too disimilar. I am therefore still unsure of what to do. Any further ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I will send you the contact soon. There is a shop in Belgium, they try to sell their lord of the rings collections. They have a lot of Khandish. Boxes, blisters, captains. For the boxes they give 50%, for the blisters they give 60% discount.
Now, us Hungarians order a huge pack of figures. As we finished, I will tell you the infos. Now I try to deal a free shipping and I promised them that I will advertise them. I still waitinf for their answer.
They have a lot of metal figures from almost every army. They have a lot of old metal figures. I found some great things there.
One of us wanted khansish warriosrs, but now he have financial problems, so he wont order. So good news, you can get a lot of cheap and new figures.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rohan and Khand helmets look nothing like eash other :? one is a tight fitting helm and the other ormental and hanging wide down to the shoulders and none of the Rohan armour is even close - nope, sorry, you have no chance of making any other LOTR model look like a Khand, are there any WH models similar?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thank you Bastion.

Thanks hithero, and no WH models look similar either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gothmogthewerewolf wrote:
Telchar wrote:

I do want them to be GW allowed, but Haradrim look nothing like Khandush, they have turbans.

The reason I sugested Rohan was because 1. they are GW legal, 2. they look like Khandish in that they have similar helmets, leather armour and their cloaks look not too disimilar. I am therefore still unsure of what to do. Any further ideas?

Well, they don't look like Khandish, but neither do the Rohirrim (to my eye at least), and they do look very east-men-ish (If you get what I mean). For something that looks like Khandish, there is nothing but a lot of patience coupled with a lot of luck on ebay. (I know the feeling, try finding cheap Dwarves). Or just buy one blister every month.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You sure that these:

Cannot be made to look like these:

if I was to remove the horse bits on the helms, sculpt the sashes on, and give them backbanners, and paint their clothes black, their armour red, and their helmets red with gold rimming, that they don't look vaguely Khandish enough? The Haradrim look middle-esasty, but I also have six companies of haradrim Archers in the same army.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you want to try it, go for it--it would be interesting to see the results. While they share elements that are similar, such as the boots and lower tunic, converting the models from one to the other would be a pain, with, in my opinion, quite ugly results. The Rohirrim have cloaks, which would be difficult to sculpt backbanners over. They mostly have either chain or scale armor, rather than serrated plate armor. I suppose the models with layered leather armor would do okay.None of the models are in such a pose that you can arm them with a two-handed axe, and many of their positions would look awkward with the absence of a shield. The helmets really are very different--its funny that you said you didn't like Wargames Factory's Samurai, as they are very similar models, though Khandish Warriors wear a tunic over their armor (I understand "GW legality," I was just pointing that out). Rohirrim to Khand doesn't seem likely, and would possibly end poorly. Obviously, though, none of us have actually tried it, so no one can say for sure--just take caution and think about it before spending the money on the Rohirrim.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hum, that needs a lot of work, specially because of the cloack, the plastic rohan warriors have a huge cloack, you would have to remove it completly...front and back...after that, the worse problem, the helmet...well should be fun trying to do that :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As I see in the shop's list, there are aprox 16 warrior, 12 horseman, and 3-4 chief blister.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bastion.HUN wrote:
As I see in the shop's list, there are aprox 16 warrior, 12 horseman, and 3-4 chief blister.

I am only interested in the warriors, particularly those with 2-handed weapons.

@Chris, I would not remove the cloak if I did, as the Khndish Chiefs wear cloaks, I would just paint their cloak black.

Well, I'll try to gt more official ones, and perhaps pick up a box or 2 from GW on saturday if they have the old boxes left still, if the first model i attempt to convert fails, i could allways paint the rest up as Dunland allies to my Angmar lot instead. Though not 100% sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Bastion.HUN wrote:

I am only interested in the warriors, particularly those with 2-handed weapons.

@Chris, I would not remove the cloak if I did, as the Khndish Chiefs wear cloaks, I would just paint their cloak black.

Well, I'll try to gt more official ones, and perhaps pick up a box or 2 from GW on saturday if they have the old boxes left still, if the first model i attempt to convert fails, i could allways paint the rest up as Dunland allies to my Angmar lot instead. Though not 100% sure.

Please don't get offended...but do you own any Khandish models? The Chieftain doesn't have a cloak, just a longer tunic.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have 3 Khandish Chieftains on Foot, and he looks like he has a short cloak over the top of his armour an tunic.