All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:24 pm

Post subject: Mordor army needs a mighty hero?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am looking for a mighty hero to lead my Mordor army. I've looked at a few different opitions and I am not sure witch hero would work best in my force. This army list has been built from Barad-Dur list in legions of middle earth so I am not really spoiled for choice with hero's. My army currently contains 24 mordor orcs and 24 morannon orcs and a orc captain witch is about 400points. The heros I have to choose from are Sauron or the mouth of Sauron, I am not sure how ringwairths and the witch king work but I am assuming that they can be chosen in any of the Mordor lists. I only raise the question because they've not been included in any of the multiple Mordor lists in the legions of middle earth. But in the sample list of Barad-Dur included the witch king.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Mordor army needs a mighty hero?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know this wont help a whole lot, but LOTR SBG is about to get some rule changes which means you need a hero for every 12 or so soldiers.

That said, you might want to shy away from Sauron. He can go from the extreme of providing your opponant with a tough and challenging game, to making your opponant rather not play you.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

LOME is now obseletem, but if you look properly, in LOME, Nazgul are not in any of the Mordor Lists, thety have their own Nazgul list which only includes the different Ringwraiths. In your example the Witch-king was an ally.

Also, there atre other heroes in the Barad-dur list, Black Guard Captains and Kardush the Firecaller. The rules for both can be found on GW website as a pdf file, and will be released in the new Mordor source book on saturday 4th february.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd play vs sauron in most missions any day rather than a harad horde!!!
Saurom can be avoided easily... and killed every now n again. Most games end before he wins.

e.g. domination Capture objectives with heroes send men to die n cause break. roll a 1 or 2 and end the game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Aye, the new rules seem to be pointing in the direction of several lesser characters. I am looking forward to the new source books, hopefully there are plenty more models to come in subsequent releases. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, on the subject of mighty heroes from Mordor- personally, the Witch-king has always been a favorite- at least, when fully decked out with full stats to the Crown of Morgul and a horse, he, if used right, can be a suitably nasty foe. But, that being said...

More later, if I remember. Have to run!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:55 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well seeing as you most definitley need 1 hero and 0-12 warriors joining him. You're going to need a ton of heros; i would definetly sujest just using a few orc captins so you can kep as many other orcs as possible. Unless of course you're willing to cut down on orcs then i would sujest the shadow lord.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well....
My GF and I have got 5000points of Galadhrim between us, we've just started our Mordor army to counter that massive force of Galadhrim. So we are looking at putting in Sauron and possibly all of the nine Nazgul. We have an ass tone of orc captains but the models we haven't a character from the book are just looking at what would make the best addition to the models we have now and the army list that I posted before because that seems to work. If we add anymore orc captains to the list we find that the army starts to lose its advantage of numbers and becomes swamped by elves. We've tried a few games with four orc captains and the orc said orc models, but the orcs struggled to do what they do best and failed to swamp the elves into submission. Because with that list by the time the orcs get in combat the elf shooting has equaled to playing field. That why we opt for a single orc captain especially in lower point games but we want to add a decent named hero into the force just to try out some new combinations. In the end any models we buy will be going towards the finial 5000point Mordor army.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Have you heard of Gothmog, Kardush, Grishnakh, Gorbag, Shagat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shagrat warleader is awesome!
Gothmog...smeh
Kardush is good alongside wraiths
Gorbag n Grishnakh are cheap n might filled.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you for your recommendations they will be well considered. Marney is currently in NSW atm so I'll have to wait for her to get back before making any real decisions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

nazgul do fit nicely with any evil army best combo witch king and undying so much will and the undying uses will as fate and gains will from casted spells together if the witch king lives the undying will live up to his name. (all possible puns intended)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gorbag, grishnak. they don't seem much but the extra might can possibly decide whether or not you're going to win the battle. also they're so darn cheap and fun to paint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like the sound of the ring wraiths, I like the concept of being able to customise them and of course by that I mean weather or not you would like them to have a massive might store or little to no might. Gorbag and Grishnak also sound really good, I like to have a decent compilation of might so a few rings wairths and Gorbag and Grishnak will probably make it into the army.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So after much contemplation my girlfriend and I have decided to add Sauron and the nine to our mordor army. We decided that the models are to amazing to not own, and would make for a nasty force by themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes indeed, Firewolf, that they can. If you are not adverse to branching out into the siege equipment, I would advise a catapult or three- otherwise, as you know, the long-range fire is going to kill the evil army at that points level. Granted, catapults are not heroes, but Mordor Troll Chieftains are... Which is where, were I making a Mordor army of that size (and already possessing the Nine and Sauron) I would place my resources. And include definitely Shagrat the War Leader and Gothmog, who, so long as he's fighting a 'comfy' battle, should do just fine.

And the Mouth of Sauron is good to have around for a few extra transfixes. And while I'm singing the virtues of Mordor non-orc heroes, I would run with Black Numenorean Marshals and Mordor Uruk-hai Captains. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm not an expert in SBG, but I really liked the Black Guard Captain. He is a very strong captain.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use black numenorian catapult with a catapult captain, HE IS A HERO!! Wounding vs your courage means dwarves die like ants and ants die like dwarves.