All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:18 pm

Post subject: Re: Warg Maraduer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Official answer from where? Mine comes from the UKGT rules.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree with hithero throughout this discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Uh, the rulebook?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 pm 
I interpret the volley fire "in base contact" statement as the shooting figures themselves and not the mount's base, hence neither a chain of 5/10 marauder wargs nor 10 Best of Gorgaroth will meet the required condition. I do not claim to be an expert and this is my opinion only. I am interested in what others think or have I missed an explicite statement in the rulebook.

Regards,

Grey Company

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Maruder will as the riders are not independent and counts as 1 model that can shoot twice.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm 
Thank you Hithero for the clarification. I am a beginner and was told by a local GW staff at The Bunker that bow armed cavalry figures cannot volley fire, therefore, warg marauders and riders on beast of Gorgorath will not be able to volley fire. Being a beginner, I though he should know what he is selling so I believed him. Thank you again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The rules for volley fire require the participants to be on foot, don't they? I don't have my book on me (dang friends haven't returned it yet).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
The rules for volley fire require the participants to be on foot, don't they? I don't have my book on me (dang friends haven't returned it yet).

Nope, no such rule, the group doesn't even have to have the same base size - just the same weapon.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm 
"Any group of ten or more ow-armed models... in base contact..." (US book, page 45, Bows - Volley Fire, Wargear section). So no need to be on foot and cavalry may volley fire.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:20 pm 
Rule 1: "All models in the firing group that are within range of the target roll a dice." (US rulebook page 45, Volley Fire section) So a 1 warg marauder may contribute only 1 D6 when volley firing.
Rule 2: "Any group of 10 or bow bow-armed models (not crossbows...) in base contact with each other" (US rulebook page 45, Volley Fire section) If a warg marauder is considered 1 model, then 10 are needed to be in base contact to volley fire and only 10 D6 according to rule 1.

Deadly Shot: "... Legoas is allowed to shoot his bow 3 times in the Shhot phase instead of one..." (US rulebook page 107, Legoas)
Legolas. If he is in base contact with enough Good models to volley fire, he contributes only 1 D6 due to rule 1. However in my opinion, he should be able to shoot 2 more times by himself after volley firing if he has not choosen to use the "automatic hit" during the volley fire because the Deadly Shot rule states 3 times and not 3 shots.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood the wordings of the rules. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd be willing to accept that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

hithero would disagree with your legolas bit.

anyways something we can agree on For the marauder to volley there must be 9 ohter bow armed models in base contact.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

cereal_theif wrote:
hithero would disagree with your legolas bit.

anyways something we can agree on For the marauder to volley there must be 9 ohter bow armed models in base contact.

LOL yeah, I've given up on this one, evidently somebody elses reading of the rules is better than the UK LOTR GT events team and one of the rule writers I was playing against :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Grey Company wrote:
Rule 1: "All models in the firing group that are within range of the target roll a dice." (US rulebook page 45, Volley Fire section) So a 1 warg marauder may contribute only 1 D6 when volley firing.
Rule 2: "Any group of 10 or bow bow-armed models (not crossbows...) in base contact with each other" (US rulebook page 45, Volley Fire section) If a warg marauder is considered 1 model, then 10 are needed to be in base contact to volley fire and only 10 D6 according to rule 1.

Deadly Shot: "... Legoas is allowed to shoot his bow 3 times in the Shhot phase instead of one..." (US rulebook page 107, Legoas)
Legolas. If he is in base contact with enough Good models to volley fire, he contributes only 1 D6 due to rule 1. However in my opinion, he should be able to shoot 2 more times by himself after volley firing if he has not choosen to use the "automatic hit" during the volley fire because the Deadly Shot rule states 3 times and not 3 shots.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood the wordings of the rules. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

People keep quoting this Legolas rule but not reading it properly. People's lack of English skills is rather frustrating at times.

It says Legolas can shoot 3 time instead on once.
Volley fire says each model shoots once.
Legolas special rule then kicks in saying "instead of once he will fire 3 times".
Like the mumak special rule this is specifically aimed at situations like this. if it excluded volley fire it would say so.
He classes as one model for volley firing but shoots three times. So you get one volley at 12 shots with him included.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jay170788 wrote:
Grey Company wrote:

People keep quoting this Legolas rule but not reading it properly. People's lack of English skills is rather frustrating at times.

Legolas special rule then kicks in saying "instead of once he will fire 3 times".
Like the mumak special rule this is specifically aimed at situations like this. if it excluded volley fire it would say so.
He classes as one model for volley firing but shoots three times. So you get one volley at 12 shots with him included.....

Now now there, Mister Anglocentric, let's not judge people on their knowledge of the english language. :P People are willing to do the effort of talking in english to be able to communicate with fellow hobbyists around the world. I don't know whether your native language is english or not, but I bet you wouldn't sound so confident when this forum suddenly changed to Swahili. ^^

Rueben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jay170788 wrote:

Seriously learn to be less patronising unless you are going to be correct.
I agree with hithero as to what the rules should be but please cast your gaze mr jay3246284623784 to the sentence regarding how many shots you get in volley fire.
Page 45 the section on volley fire, 5th paragraph
"All models in the firing group that wre within range of the target roll a dice"
No mention of "per shot" or "shoot once" or "contribute one shot per shot the model has" or "add as many dice as they have shots" etc etc
RAW goes against you I am afraid.
The sentence where Legolas' 3 shots are mentions only mentions straight shooting as it says they hit on a 3+ (unless you are going to argue that you get 3 shots that hit on 3s even when volleying...and that is madness.) Compare to the catapult which specifically mentions it hits on a 4+ but uses volley fire rules and fires twice if it has a troll. Much less to argue about there.

Hithero I would like to declare that I really do think your view (and that of the world of sense) SHOULD be right but that if we RAW then it is not correct.
I personally play he can shoot 3 times but if debating online I tend to argue RAW rather than RAI until an FAQ is out.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll stick this in the FAQ we are compiling for the new books. It matters not to me on how people want to play the rule and up until last year our group only shot once with Legolas in volley, but the reverse was ruled at the GT, so play by the GT rules or not - doesn't matter.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm with Grey.

The "Special Ability" relates to normal shooting. Volley fire is not a normal shot process. Also, as stated before, that Special Rule then (in the same sentence) states he will hit on a 3+, whereas the Volley Fire rule states all hits are on a 6.

As for going off any tourney host interpretation of any rule, regardless if that tourney is grand or not, is a mote point. For all my friends that I game with never went. So we are out of that "world of sense" interpretation loop. So I agree that RAI should wait to be FAQ'd; then can be used as the foundation to stand on.

-Scar

*new books? Is there a site rulebook or are we talking GW books?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

New books as in source books new this months