All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:26 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Going through the new source books
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really? So Vault Warden's can be used in any dwarven force now, and Eorl the Young could ride out to battle with Aragorn?
It sounds like there will be some major fluff-abuse here.... :? :o

Then again, now I can use the Eorl profile and model as another 3rd age Rohan captain, such as Elfhelm. Yay finally a non-Gandalf hero who can keep up with my Sons of Eorl.

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
What would be more cool is if Angmar had options for Barbarians of Carn Dum and Ghosts in SBG.

There is that, yeah, I'm really disappointed the ghosts didn't make it in there. There's some other WotR stuff I'd like to have seen too. I want a Mordor Uruk shaman

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't really care about snuff abuse, i don't play tornuaments so all my games are friendly and we always play themed armies.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I prefer themed games as well. You can make up a really good story sometimes, but there's even a limit to that.

Can anyone answer my previous question about the siege ladders? ;)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I believe in the main rules in the Seige section, it says you can take as many as you want. The rationale being that you probably won't take more than you need because you're tying up models carrying them. Don't have my rules here though, just going from memory
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Is it true that there's only one Faramir profile now?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yup. they left out the profile from WD mag for his post WOTR incarnation.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks Whafrog. I've always loved this scenario.

Why did they leave out profiles like that? What if someone wanted to, for example, use Famamir before he rides out to retake Osgiliath?
(I presume that's what is represented in this profile right?) Are there any other profiles that were dropped?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wah Wing wrote:
Thanks Whafrog. I've always loved this scenario.

Why did they leave out profiles like that? What if someone wanted to, for example, use Famamir before he rides out to retake Osgiliath?
(I presume that's what is represented in this profile right?) Are there any other profiles that were dropped?

Unless your going to a tourney, house rule his old profile and everyone wins. It's not like someone can accuse you of rigging it :P
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I had a question about the new warbands system. Within a faction list, are there limits to what warriors can be in which heroes' warbands? And can you have different types of warriors in the same warband? On the Games Workshop site, a sample army had Thoeden mounted with 3 Royal Guard, and then a separate group with a mounted Captain and 6 Riders of Rohan. Is it necessary to put these different types of warriors in different warbands, or could they be combined into Thoeden's warband?

Also, there are no restrictions on how close individual models in warbands must be to each other, right? Not like the unit system in 40k where the entire group must stay together?

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No as soon as the unit is deployed they are free to move wherever they please. Also yes you can mix and match troops in a warband as long as they all come from the same army within the sourcebook...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks! And the bow limit is by the small army lists (Rohan, Gondor, Fiefdoms), not the overall army book (Kingdoms of Men, Free Peoples,etc.), correct?

If I wanted more than 12 Woses, I would need another unrelated hero from the Wanderers in the Wild list right? After Ghan-Buri-Ghan fills up his warband?

Forth Eorlingas!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

correct and correct...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking through the posts, it seems that basic Riders and Warriors of Rohan as well as Warriors of Minas Tirith have all been outclassed by EVEN MORE! Your average Warrior of Rohan now sports seemingly the lowliest human profile on the game, save perhaps the little-used Ruffians. WoMT are only saved by their heavy armour. So much for men of the west... :roll:

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lord Hurin wrote:
Looking through the posts, it seems that basic Riders and Warriors of Rohan as well as Warriors of Minas Tirith have all been outclassed by EVEN MORE! Your average Warrior of Rohan now sports seemingly the lowliest human profile on the game, save perhaps the little-used Ruffians. WoMT are only saved by their heavy armour. So much for men of the west... :roll:

Yeah, it baffles me. It's not that the game isn't balanced, on the whole, but the flavour is lost.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ChristsSoldier wrote:
Really? So Vault Warden's can be used in any dwarven force now, and Eorl the Young could ride out to battle with Aragorn?
It sounds like there will be some major fluff-abuse here.... :? :o

Then again, now I can use the Eorl profile and model as another 3rd age Rohan captain, such as Elfhelm. Yay finally a non-Gandalf hero who can keep up with my Sons of Eorl.

On the one hand, its a good thing for those who care about and respect the Fluff, because now you have access to a wider range of Official Profiles to use as alternative named Characters (Counts as) without having to houserule or obtain permission from your opponent. For example, I just ordered Duinhir yesterday (for £7.20 and in metal :D ) and I intend to use him as a Mid- Third Age Dunedain character alongside Arvedui and Malbeth, counting him as Halbarad.

In that respect, I'm very happy that all Dwarves have access to Vault Wardens now. I don't have Dwarves but would like to one day, and I want to base it on an Underground theme, with Vault Wardens, Iron and Khazad Guard, Dwarven Kings etc. I always found it silly that the old LOME Khazad Dum list only had one choice for a Dwarf King- Durin - and no access to the generic Dwarf King for those who want to make their own characters. (See Feanor's terrain Dwarf Mine terrain board on the TLA site, under Terrain>Of Rocks and Mithril, for an idea of what I mean by Underground theme ;) ).

But on the other hand, there will be lots of people who just completely disregard the fluff, by pulling shenanigans like fielding Aragorn alongside King Elendil and/or Isildur without even trying to create an original character and backstory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whafrog wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:

Yeah, it baffles me. It's not that the game isn't balanced, on the whole, but the flavour is lost.

Two words: House Rules. For my group, Rohan throwing spears also count as War Spears, so they can be thrown or you can support with them, but not inthe same turn. For Gondor, all the models gain +1 to their courage rolls when broken. Numenor, all models gain +1 courage when charging a terror causing model. Just these simple changes makes Rohan actually winnable and Gondor and Numenor slightly better, enough that they can actually compete with at least some of the other armies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
whafrog wrote:

Two words: House Rules. For my group, Rohan throwing spears also count as War Spears, so they can be thrown or you can support with them, but not inthe same turn. For Gondor, all the models gain +1 to their courage rolls when broken. Numenor, all models gain +1 courage when charging a terror causing model. Just these simple changes makes Rohan actually winnable and Gondor and Numenor slightly better, enough that they can actually compete with at least some of the other armies.

Are you altering the point cost of the profiles?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

No, that's why I didn't straight up give them another point of courage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Is there really a game balance issue with Gondor? Granted Rohan is weak, and Numenor is ridiculous, but Gondor is able to win regularly.

That said, I like your rules for Gondor/Numenor, they're thematic.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next