All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Radagast vs Mumakil...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
It might have been mentioned on "Magic in Middle-Earth part 2" as well, but I am referring to a specific Tactica about Ringwraiths in both WotR and SBG, that was one of the arcticles removed from the GW site as a casualty, the item you are referring to may have the Radagast on it, but it was wrote by the same person (I think) who wrote theone with the mistake in.

In any case, lets just agree that Wraiths can resist it, I only mentioned that as something cerialthief said reminded me of that mistake, I was not trying to disclaim Mr Grumpy.

I don't give a flip what you're refering to, I'M refering to an article in WD. If you weren't trying to "disclaim" me, then why would you even bother bringing it up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't give anything about which article your referring to either, and I just said the reason I brought it up was cerial-theif's comment. Would you rather I made a new topic entitledf "GW's Undying mistake" or something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would prefer it if you didn't correct me on it, maybe you could just say something like "Do you mean this article that had a mistake in it?" Instead of "That article is wrong, even though I obviously am talking about something else."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I was not correcting you, and I was not meaning to appear rude, if that's what you think. Sorry if I have upset you. I did not intend to say "that article is wrong..." only take things GW right with a pinch of salt unless its in a rulebook or anf FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This argument doesnt solve anything.

According to the latest rules.

The Mumak can be affected by Panic Steed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin at no point has Gothmog done you a disservice. Please calm a llama down.

Anyways
Two sources are better than one (as we all know by adding ketchup to baked beans)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Phoenix1986 wrote:
This argument doesnt solve anything.

According to the latest rules.

The Mumak can be affected by Panic Steed

per your interpretation, not mine. - :puppy:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I agree with ScarpeIron... and cereal thief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well i guess its not really that important, GW will make an announcement eventually. I guess you need to sort this one out in your own group. Ours doesn't mind due to lack of anyone actually liking Radagast.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I asked Nick Bayton (and bearded ref) on Saturday, he said "well if it says it is a mount then it can be paniced, simple"
He isn't part of the design team so it isn't Rulebook official but he is a ref for LOTRs so for now I would use his ruling until else stated.

Nick said "if you take radagast and they don't have a mumak or great beast, then you don't have a sorcerors blast"
Which is a fair point. blasting the great beast would be just as useful
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If that's the case, we must use the highest authority available, Radagast works in Mumakil. (Obviously it works on the Great Beast though)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

cereal_theif wrote:
I asked Nick Bayton (and bearded ref) on Saturday, he said "well if it says it is a mount then it can be paniced, simple"
He isn't part of the design team so it isn't Rulebook official but he is a ref for LOTRs so for now I would use his ruling until else stated.

Nick said "if you take radagast and they don't have a mumak or great beast, then you don't have a sorcerors blast"
Which is a fair point. blasting the great beast would be just as useful

Not at all, only hitting with a str6 hit on a 4+ or 5+= not very reliable way of killing something, especially if that something has multiple wounds. Auto killing on a 2+=much better. Even if there isn't anything big to Panic, he has Renew, which can keep your uber-heros alive for quite awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Rozinante wrote:
Long ago on this forum, I asked if Radagast's "Panic Steed" would work on a Mumakil; all agreed "No...the Mumakil is not a mount." The new Warband rules now specifically state that the Mumakil is the Commander's mount. Bad news for the Mumakil?

again, I say, that the Mumak has always been "classified" as a mount. In ORB its clearly stated, this concept is not a new addition to SBG. So, if it was declared impossible that Panic Steed did not work then why the change? The Mumak has always been the "commanders mount."

The arguement is if Radagasts Panic Steed spell affects the Mumak by altering its normal movement ...or... his Panic Steed spell does not alter the Mumaks normal movement. The vagueness arises when you have those that read the wording only in black and white and see that it says, basically: The spell is cast and the mount is removed from battle ((as if it literally winks out of existence, without a dust mote to show it was there at all in the first place, and the hapless folks flailing about in midair till gravity remembers its role)).

As for me; I see that the Mumak is happily charging about in all his or hers glorious fury going about its business as usual when some white beard nutter pops up and goes !!!boogity-boogity-boo!!!, ableit very loudly and with a whole lot of bling! Attempting to ...panic... the Mumak which, according to some and me, would cause this hapless beast to go skittering into a 180* about-face and, panic stricken, rumble off the field of battle. Which to me feels as if the Mumak normal movement has been affected/altered/gone all bats**t bonkers and lost he/her damn fool mind. Which is a mind affecting spell, which seems to fall in the same category as those spells that are written out in the new journeybooks. So, I wholeheartedly disagree with the stance that the Mumk is affected by a Panic Steed spell.

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's because the wording of what spells affect it is different.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I had a quick scan at the discussion and haven't seen any references to the fairly new Harad sourcebook. The Mumak rules in that supersede the Mumak rules in the ORB. I haven't got the Warbands book but then my group don't play that. Panic Steed does not work on the Mumak. It is clear when it says

"the Mumak is immune to the effects of... any other magical powers or abilities that would prevent it from moving normally"

It doesn't matter if you think the Mumak is a mount or not, it is immune from the effects of mind control type spells. Only damage dealing whether to wounds or courage work (SB, Black Dart, Drain Courage etc)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Panic steed does not move the model it REmoves the model... like black dart for that matter. Now you wouldnt suggest no black dart either would you?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've already said Black Dart works. It is damage dealing. The King of the Dead's special rule is another effective way of dealing with a Mumak. Using Panic Steed is not. Panic Steed is a mind control type spell, only the Commander of the Mumak can be targetted by such spells. It would be utterly ridiculous for Radagast to be able to remove a 275+ point model with a roll of a 2+. Black Dart is a little more tricky, 5+ and then Defence 8 (but Mumak and Nazgul weren't designed to go head to head in the first place)...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You have not stated how you interpret it as a "mind control type".
In fluff I agree, in terms of pts negation I agree, but in the rules as written I disagree strongly. BTW the chieftan can resist as it is the model that is targetted.

Tbh no one really takes mumaks to tournaments anyway, and radagast is only marginally more likely.

Also there are other 1 hit wonders out there. catapults for example can remove heroes in one go. I think Sauron can as well.
So I am not sure that points cost is an arguement to make.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

cereal_theif wrote:
You have not stated how you interpret it as a "mind control type".
In fluff I agree, in terms of pts negation I agree, but in the rules as written I disagree strongly. BTW the chieftan can resist as it is the model that is targetted.

Firstly the rider (or in this case chieftain) is not the target. 'Panic steed' literally refers to 'scaring the mount'. I can't see any mention of the spell being directed at the rider. It states "the power may only be directed against a mounted model". This obviously means only warriors with something to ride (and potentially panic). The spell targets the mount, causing it to panic and in doing so throw the rider as is described in the rules description.

Regarding the Mumak rules, to quote a few

1/ Fearless! Warriors who ride a Mumakil to battle are emboldened by their steed, while the Mumak itself is too dumb-witted to fear anything...

This rule concerns Courage Tests but the description clearly states it isn't afraid of anything! This is a counter argument in its own right to the Panic Steed spell but is not the key point.

2/ Magical Powers and the Mumak The Mumak is immune to the effects of all Transfix, Immobilise, Command and Compel magical powers - or indeed any other magical powers or abilities that would prevent it from moving normally. These spells can, however, be directed against the model controlling the Mumak...

As has been stated earlier, Panic Steed targets the mount, not the rider so the Cheiftain cannot resist. Seeing as NOTHING frightens the Mumak because it is too 'dumb-witted' to acknowledge what it is about to trample and the fact that it cannot be transfixed/compelled it wouldn't make sense that a Mumak can be frightened from the field of battle. It even states Mumakil pass Courage Tests for the force being broken and for charging Terrifying Creatures. The Mumak is effectively resistant to these mind-control type spells, only damaging types can be deployed, Sorcerous Blast is the example given but Black Dart would work too.

It is an interesting debate though because of the poor wording and lack of FAQ ruling on this matter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The thing is how I read the same sentences leaves the door open for Panic Steed, but the intention I read is that it shouldn't work.

In a gaming club situation I would say it won't work but in a tournament where either RAW or FAQ have to rule over all I would say it can be paniced until FAQed (where i think they will come down as no panic)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next