All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Radagast vs Mumakil...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Everyone is stating that the rules clear state WHAT spells can work on the Mumak and any spell not listed will not affect the Mumak. What everyone is forgetting to mention/list/say/take-into-account is the rest of the sentence; that little part of "-would prevent it from moving normally."

The Mumak is immune to the effects of all magical powers that "would prevent it from moving normally." Panic Steed prevents the Mumak from moving normally. Since the discussion has gone onto to regard the "fluff" of the description of all things SBG then we can disregard all that is considered "fluff." Sadly we run into the gray area again as to what individuals view as fluff and what they view as not fluff.
There is no true description of what Panic Steed does. Are we honestly believing that the spell causes the steed/mount to simply disappear?!? I believe the GW Rules Team went the simply route of saying it vanishes off the board to prevent certain types of individuals from then arguing that the now panic steed would need a whole new rules/rulings on how it moves and what happens when it encounters friends/foes/obstacles/etc... Yes, it would have to be different from "Stampede," ...or not.

The only way to make a Mumak to move abnormally is to compel/immobilize the commander or to directly wound the Mumak and have it stampede.

Anywho...back to Lurking... - :puppy:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

But destroying a mumak also impedes movement, and causing it to stampede also restricts movement so the effects of blackdart/blast both can alter movement for the mumak.

I do think this has run it course, we are all aware of the 2 interpretations with their corresponding arguements and until an FAQ I would say we should leave it. It is clear that you should NOT be able to panic steed a mumak but whether or not you can is down to your club until the FAQ.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

cereal_theif wrote:
It is inconvenient for aragorn to be transfixed too...
I think the important thing is the mumak's description states which spells it is immune to and does not state panic steed. Panic steed should NOT work on mumaks but due to this it does. So flip a coin.

BTW I love the philosophy side arguement. As a protestant I don't recognise the pope and neither do horses but for other reasons ;)
A pope can't just change the rules, who gave him the authority? Did he write the rule book? Was he in the religion development team? Does he know a red shirt who knows a black shirt who knows the guy who wrote the book who told him on good authority that it wasn't so?
Jokes.

Funnily enough, it was a pope (I forget which) who gave authority to change what they like to whoever holds the position of the pope.
cereal_theif wrote:
But destroying a mumak also impedes movement, and causing it to stampede also restricts movement so the effects of blackdart/blast both can alter movement for the mumak.

I do think this has run it course, we are all aware of the 2 interpretations with their corresponding arguements and until an FAQ I would say we should leave it. It is clear that you should NOT be able to panic steed a mumak but whether or not you can is down to your club until the FAQ.

I completely agree with this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Its clearly ruled what happens when a Direct Damage spell is used, and why it would result in the effects (stampede).
Yes, it does augment the movement but again its clearly ruled as to why.
I agree with the y'all its run it course...and I still love y'all!!! :flower:
reLurking.

- :puppy:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

cereal_theif wrote:
It is inconvenient for aragorn to be transfixed too...
I think the important thing is the mumak's description states which spells it is immune to and does not state panic steed. Panic steed should NOT work on mumaks but due to this it does. So flip a coin.

As Valamir says, completely different kettel of fish. I think you're missing the point. Either way, it has never specifically stated it is immune to Panic Steed! Only it used to state only other spells that deal damage can affect it. My point regarding the latin proverb was that you guys are interpretting one thing without there actually being any clear wording over the matter. The inconvenience is that you still continue to ignore the descriptions laid out in the rules book. Mumaks are not normal mounts, they are not afraid of anything, they do not run away when their commanders die therefore they do not follow the same rules. When a horse loses its rider it is removed. When a Mumak loses its commander, what happens? The Mumak has it's own special rules and simply saying it rears and is then removed explains nothing, the title explains how the steed is removed. Through Panic! A Mumak is not afraid of anything! This is in the rules! You can't simply pick and choose what suits your argument.

ScarpeIron wrote:
Everyone is stating that the rules clear state WHAT spells can work on the Mumak and any spell not listed will not affect the Mumak. What everyone is forgetting to mention/list/say/take-into-account is the rest of the sentence; that little part of "-would prevent it from moving normally."

The Mumak is immune to the effects of all magical powers that "would prevent it from moving normally." Panic Steed prevents the Mumak from moving normally. Since the discussion has gone onto to regard the "fluff" of the description of all things SBG then we can disregard all that is considered "fluff." Sadly we run into the gray area again as to what individuals view as fluff and what they view as not fluff.
There is no true description of what Panic Steed does. Are we honestly believing that the spell causes the steed/mount to simply disappear?!?

I completely agree. Panic Steed is briefly worded, therefore disregarding the actual name of the rule and description as fluff is foolish. The original rules were designed for the horse to disappear as would happen whenever a rider was unseated. The method of unseating the horse is not made clear in the description or explaination of the rule BUT IN THE TITLE. Still there are comments previous suggesting we ignore the title and simply ignore all other influencing factors and rules... The preventing of normal movement is significant as you say because a Mumak will not flee if Broken, does not fear Terror causing models and will not back away if it loses a fight! These are all abnormal movements for mounts.

As for cereal theifs reply to that point,

- Destroying a mumak does not impede movement, once a Mumak loses its final wound it is removed. And besides it says the Mumak is immune to any other MAGICAL POWERS or ABILITIES that would prevent it from moving normally.
- Causing it to stampede is clearly laid out in the Mumak rules, and it does not impede movement, it must make a full move!
- Black Dart/ Sorcerous Blast does not impede movement. Black Dart wounds the Mumak (may cause Stampede). Sorcerous Blast wounds the Mumak but ''cannot move them''.

Last edited by lorderkenbrand on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How about everyone leaves the fish' corpse in the fishbowl. It has been danced with enough now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:53 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nonsense, this is not a fish corpse, 'tis a dead horse. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nonsense tis not a fish or horse its a oliphant!! and it taste like CHICKEN!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So by your reasoning Scarpe the mumak was bought from Asda as all things from Asda taste of chicken.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not that I would eat it, but apparently Mumak is a delicacy in some areas of Middle Earth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well I'd eat it but I'd have to have other veg because it doesnt matter how much you eat it "still only counts as one" fruit or veg portion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:02 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nothing like a few mumak slices on lembas bread, finish it off with some pipeweed...south farthing offcource...hmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Forget Lembas, eat Mumaklike a true Haradrim, skewered on a fire, but on its own.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

or like a hobbit, stew it with potato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

"Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Here's a fun fact, scientists in Russia found a wooly mammoth so well preserved in ice, that they cut it up, cooked it up and served it to scientists from all over the world. I think that this was like 20 years ago or so. I bet a mumak would taste like that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As would elephant meat. Why would they eat it, surely they would try to use it to clone one and place in an elephant's uturus?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Because they already had enough DNA from other specimens for that. There are quite a few very well preserved mammoths, just not THAT well preserved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6