All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avenger's WIP **Pic heavy**
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks all. I had a spare MoM troll, and I didn't really want two plastic trolls that were in the same pose. I could have gone for the spear instead of the club I guess, but I wanted to do a convertion. It's supposed to be a hill troll, it has the same rules as a cave troll, but looks better if he's beside burhdur. (who I don't have yet...)
I was intitially doing it for the O-R awards, right before the site got hacked, so I did this guy quite a while back. Some of the sculpting isn't as good as I would like it to be, but oh well...
@Bizzare Using the sprue for ruins wasn't my idea, but it is a good one! :)
@Sim You should try again. Mine was based off this (http://one-ring.co.uk/kb.php?a=197) article, as well as the ones in the Khazad-dum sourcebook. The hardest part was getting everything square (ish :lol: ) as I was using two thin pieces of balsam glued together. (and they definitely weren't perfectly square once they were glued!) :roll:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Your troll is quality... I love it!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Your troll is quality... I love it!!!

Thanks DMS, that means a lot coming from you.
Also, a quick update. I finished the face of my first haradrim. I'm liking these figures so far, the detail on the faces is way better than the wood elves. There are a couple of places that are bad, like one of the archers that is reaching back for an arrow, you can't really tell where his hand is, though you know it's there....but other than that they seem good.
I am following Haldir_pl's great article, though I need to figure out what colours to use on the bases as I'm not going to use GW colours for bases/drybrushing!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

great skintone!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Frighteningly good face !!!!!!!!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

very good! can't wait to see the rest.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Funny fact, but there are no black men in Middle Earth.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bastion.HUN wrote:

from Tolkien gateway

Harad's tribes were divided—at least in the minds of the men of northwestern Middle-earth—into those of Near and Far Harad, although there were many tribes of the Haradrim, often mutually hostile. Those of Near Harad were brown-skinned, with black hair and dark eyes, whereas the people of Far Harad had black skin. It is also presumed that every tribe had a chieftain, who served as their leader and general in the battlefield.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bastion.HUN wrote:

Only in Peter Jacksons politically correct version of Middle Earth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WOW, loving the skin tone on this one!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
WOW, loving the skin tone on this one!! :)

Thanks. All do to Haldir's wonderful article.... :D
@Ondoher (Or anyone else) why would it be politically correct to have the haradrim white, and not black? I'm not big into political correctness, so I honestly don't get that....They're from a middle east type land, why wouldn't they be black/brown/tan/olive skinned? :roll:

And an update. The cloak colour is just the basecoat, and I still need to do the gems on his armour.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Just do as u like urself! Really, i like this skintone. I wouldn't bother with correct or not. Ur guys will have their own colour palette - that will make them different then other peoples figures (and ur high paint level of course :) ). Be creative ! :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

garmenhord wrote:
Just do as u like urself! Really, i like this skintone. I wouldn't bother with correct or not. Ur guys will have their own colour palette - that will make them different then other peoples figures (and ur high paint level of course :) ). Be creative ! :p

Don't worry, I want my haradrim to be dark skinned, I just don't understand why it would be politaically corect for PJ to have white, not dark, skinned haradrim.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looking good so far. Are you going for a lighter scheme than normal (desert colours), like off whites and yellows?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
@Ondoher (Or anyone else) why would it be politically correct to have the haradrim white, and not black? I'm not big into political correctness, so I honestly don't get that....They're from a middle east type land, why wouldn't they be black/brown/tan/olive skinned? :roll:

theavenger001 wrote:
Don't worry, I want my haradrim to be dark skinned, I just don't understand why it would be politaically corect for PJ to have white, not dark, skinned haradrim.

My understanding of the various Tolkien book appendicies and DVD extras is that Tolkien very much intended for the Haradrim to be the typical Middle Eastern stereotype (i.e. "brown") and the 'Mahud' from Far Harad to be the typical African stereotype (black). PJ and co, (understandably) not wanting to cause a fuss, chose not to make Middle Eastern & African looking people the bad guys and gave them a more pale European-Mediterranean look albeit with an Arab style culture. If they had taken a literal interpretation of the books, making Haradrim Middle Eastern and Mahud African in appearence, then without a doubt there would have been accusations of racism, because they're essentially casting middle eastern and african people as the villains.

It's all nonsense anyway (political correctness). Biologically speaking, dark skin is a genetic adaptation to hotter climates. People who originate from hotter countries have darker skin due to increased skin pigmentation (Melanin), a necessary biological adapation to living in a climate with merciless sunshine. The hotter the climate, the darker your skin. In Middle Earth, Harad is described as a mostly desert like country - that sounds to me like the Sahara desert, Saudi Arabia, Iraq. Far Harad is described as Tropical with lush rainforests (and fricking giant elephants!) - that sounds to me like Africa. So, if you accept that the real world laws of nature still apply in Middle Earth, then people from Harad and Far Harad should be dark skinned - brown and black.

The fact that in the context of the Lord of the Rings, the Haradrim and associated peoples are the "villians", is neither here nor there. If anything, thats the fault of the author (Tolkien). PJ and co avoided a literal interpretation to avoid accusations of racism.

Personally, I don't see the Haradrim as Evil. Just morally ambiguous in their associating and worship (?) of Sauron. And I don't see Gondor as beyond-reproach Good either. After all, the Numenorians did invade and subjugate the 'lesser' people of Harad. Later, the Haradrim resisted and threw out the descendants of Numenor (the Gondorians). Aligning themselves with Sauron and Mordor (who are Evil) is an act of necessity. Better to ally yourself with the all powerful Sauron, than the weak and fragmenting Gondor, which just so happens to be your Old Enemy, former Master and is still hostile.

However, factions like the Hasharin, Lords of Umbar etc. are 'Evil'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Chris GoM wrote:
Looking good so far. Are you going for a lighter scheme than normal (desert colours), like off whites and yellows?

I'm following this (http://one-ring.co.uk/kb.php?a=185) article by haldir. I never really liked the GW haradrim, they have to much dark cloth to live in the desert!(imho) I just really like having someone telling me what colours work good, and being able to see pics of the finished product.

Btw, you say that GW's guys would be wearing 'normal' desert colours? Because to me desert people would wear much lighter colours. I am planning to have some black, purple and possibly dark red in there for accents though, so they won't be totally light. Mainly on the belts, but maybe on the odd turban or something. I have to get the purple from GW yet though....I'm putting in the purple as (on the whole, it seems) desert people were either dirt poor, or wealthy, and so my guys will tend towards the wealthy side, hence the purple. (A colour denoting royalty becuase it was so expensive to make)

@ Ondoher That makes sense. Thanks. That's sorta what I thought it was (having the bad guys dark, and the good light). Though, imo haradrim aren't 'bad'. They just happened to be taken advantage of by the person with the most control in their area (sauron).

Yeah. Anyways didn't get any painting done yet. I need to finish up my school for the day, play some video games, and watch the Canuck game I recorded......Yeah busy day yet...Hopefully I'll get this guy finished off by tomorrow or Wednesday. :-D
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
Hopefully I'll get this guy finished off by tomorrow or Wednesday. :-D

Well that failed miserably....I have finally finished my first haradrim. I really like him. I need to go to Micheals yet and get some GW paint look-alikes for the bases. C&C appreciated.
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, he is looking great! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

He looks great, I like the idea of the lighter coloured clothing:) Also the skin tone is great....
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

quality!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next