All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:20 pm

Post subject: Ozmo's newbie WIP [Updated: 11.06.12]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

I've mentioned earlier that I just started the hobby again. When I first did this, I was quite young and I painted so incredibly horrible. Now that I start again, I am to be considered a beginner. So, here you can see some of my first attempts at painting miniatures again.

One of my first projects is a group of dwarves.

1 - Here I've first painted the cloth with regal blue and then drybrushed with reaper bright blue. Is this what is called highlighting?

2 - Here I painted mithril silver on the armour. I've painted some dwarf archers with boltgun metal and I wanted to use that instead, but mine is so damn thick and horrible to use. So i used my new mithril silver instead.

3 - Here I've painted the beards in different colours. Three with dark flesh, two with bestial brown, two with ash grey, neutral grey and granite grey from reaper pro paints. The last one was black with ash grey highlight(?). I also painted the leather with schorched brown and the flesh with dwarf flesh from reaper paints.

4- Here I mixed nuln oil and black ink 2:1. I wanted the armour to be a little bit darker - that's why i mixed in some black ink. On the rest of the figure I used pure nuln oil.

5 - Here I have painted the shields the same way as the cloth. After that I applid nuln oil. And then I was finished!

I haven't painted eyes, and I'm not sure if I should do it. I haven't got any good detail brush and I'm horrible at small details. I will do the bases tomorrow. Anyway, tips for my painting would be greatly appreciated! :)

The next figures will probably be some Iron Guards. I'm a bit frightened by finecast figures, but I just got to try.

Thank you for watching my post!

Last edited by Ozmo on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Ozmo's newbie WIP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice, you should add some highlight to the black parts.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah, that is probably a good idea. How exactly should I do it? Do you drybrush the lighter colour?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, it is easier, if you watch a few tutorial. There are many on the web. Or, if you buy one of the LOTR rulebooks, you will find some tips there also. You can find the WOTR rulebook on the torrent sites.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice dwarves

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

they are looking very nice, I like the blue colour scheme. look forward to more 8)

Drum
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

'Tis quite excellent- you paint much better than I did when I was a beginner in the painting world. :) Keep up the good work!

Personally, my favorite way for highlighting black is a bit unorthodox (as far as I've ever seen) but works very well, once you get the right consistency. Unfortunately, my color names are the old GW lines, so do forgive me, but I'll describe the shade anyway.

Step 1: Paint area you want to be black, black.

Step 2: Get an off-white (bleached bone or its equivalent- basically a cream), brush it on something else so that all the paint is almost dry/gone from the brush, then brush it over the black part. Viola! Instant highlight. It can take a little while to get the feel for just how much to use, but when you do it produces a nice grey straight on top of black that complements it very nicely, in my opinion.

Anyway, carry on with the excellent work!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you very much for the positive replies! :)

Also, thank you for the tips on highlighting. I will try that! I haven't got off-white, but maybe it will work to mix in a very small part of yellow in normal white?
Also, I know some of the old names, as I painted a little when LOTR SBG was quite new, when I was 10-11 years old.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very good work, better than most beginners. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ozmo, a job well done for a beginner. Play with washes next if you have not and you may find an interesting technique. Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes
Ice Queen
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ice Queen wrote:
Ozmo, a job well done for a beginner. Play with washes next if you have not and you may find an interesting technique. Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes
Ice Queen

Thank you for the reply!

The nuln oil is a wash, right?

I also began on a dwarf banner bearer today, but it went horrible. I guess I should strip it of paint - something I have never done before.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Interesting color scheme and indeed as the others said already, very good job for a beginner. You don't need to strip the paint of the banner bearer, just paint over it. What are you planning to paint next?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I like blue very much and found that it fit dwarves pretty good. I'm not sure if I should try to use any gold. I'm not imagining that silver and gold is very nice together, but I'd might be wrong. :)

I tried to strip the banner bearer, but it didn't go very well. The paint is now a bit thick, but I won't do anything about that now. Right now I'm repainting a dwarf captain, banner bearer and some Khazad guards that I got in a trade to fit my colour scheme. I'm not sure they will turn out as good as the warriors. Time will show!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work - really like your colour scheme. For highlighting black I find Codex Grey works pretty well. Drybrushing is easiest for a beginner (I sitll use it a lot). When you feel more confident you can lightly dry brush to pick out the highlights and then paint over those to get a smoother highlight.

One major tip - thin your paints. I noticed you've been complaining about thick paint. I thin almost all my paints to a consistency of milk. Metallics it doesn't matter so much, but for other colours it is a must (you will get much better results). It can mean more layers to get the colour you want, but it's worth it.

Another thing you might like to try is priming in white. I use to prime in black because it seemed that's what everyone did. However, I then saw a tutorial that said priming in white or light grey is much better and gives true colours. I never prime in black now - even if most of the model is going to be black. Priming in white is awesome - it is so much easier to see the detail in the model, the colours are true, and if you thin your paints the darker paint will settle in the creases and the white will show through on the raised areas and sometimes this can be enough for instant highlights!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you very much for the tips and feeback! I will start to thin my paints more from now on. Maybe I will try to buy a white primer next time also. Hopefully there will be some pictures soon.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is some photos of the minis I'm working on now. I'm absolutely not finished. Sorry for the strange focus in the pictures.

Post subject: Re: Ozmo's newbie WIP [Updated: 10.06.12]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oeh I rly like your dwarves! Nice highlights on the cloaks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well done, sir! Do it, it goes very well.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a little question. How do you guys think I should do the faces on the Khazad guards? Should I paint skin tone behind the mask, as on the captain, or should it just be black?

Also, the feedback I get are great for motivation! Thank you everybody.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice to see a fellow dwarf collector! :D
I really like your work so far! You're making faster progress than me.. :oops:
about the faces, I'd say go ahead and give it a try! I know it'll be pretty difficult 'cause it's such a small surface to paint, but it'll look great! Good luck!