All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:25 pm

Post subject: Several Rules questions
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok I have just started playing the game again after being on-and-off the last few years. I do have the newer, blue hardback rule book. Since I started collecting towards the beginning of the game, my armies are of Rohan, High Elves, and Isengard.

1. When archers are attacked in hand to hand combat, are there any special rules? I know they do not carry shields, but do they carry swords or axes? For some reason, I remember decreasing their fight value before, but I could not find such a rule in the book.

2. When a warrior with a throwing spear loses a fight and backs away 1 inch, can they throw that spear on the next turn from 1 inch away, assuming they win priority? This essentially allows for two attacks.

3. A similar question to last: when cavalry charges and backs away, can they knock down the opponent on the next turn from 1 inch away? I didn't even look in the rulebook for this, just wondering.
 Post subject: Re: Several Rules questions
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Btw, this is my first time on the forum in a while. In fact, the last time I have been was when GamesWorkshop still had forums.
Ive been noticing that when people post about their armies, they mention "warbands". Whats that all about?

And also, I haven never used courage during gameplay. Is that bad?
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:17 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

1. Everybody has a hand weapon (unless otherwise specifically noted in the profile as "unarmed"). I think the "archers get -1" is from an earlier iteration of the rules.
2. Yes, if they charge they can throw. That's what you pay 2 points for. The rules are simple, and, other than hero stats, don't require you to keep track of "last turn status".
3. Yes.

Warbands are from the five new profile books. Instead of taking a hero and however many troops you wanted, you now have to take 1 hero per 12 warriors. Deployment rules and scenarios have also changed, seems like most people think these are improvements. You can still have fun viable games with just the big blue book, however.
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog's correct! Also I never used courage tests when I first started. Our group just played until one player was reduced to 25% of the starting force. If you want to get the most out of the LOTR gaming system then I would recommend learning everything but in small bits.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

djgamerman wrote:
And also, I haven never used courage during gameplay. Is that bad?

Forgot to address this: it's not bad when you're learning, I didn't use it at first either, but it is an essential part of the game. For one thing, figuring out how to handle a Terror-causing model will be different depending on which army you have. Also, in addition to the Fight score, it's what allows elite troops hold their own against more numerous weaker troops. Taking the right heroes (including Shamans) to hold your army together after breaking, using horns, picking troops with the Bodyguard rule...all these factor into the army building and game play.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help. I guess I may have to buy one of the newer rule books for the change of rules, but there are (five?) different books. Should I really buy all of those that pertain to my different armies?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Buy only those that are relevant to you. Not the others.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:

Though knowing your enemy can really come in handy, if you can afford those other books---or have a friend who has them.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Rozinante wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:

Though knowing your enemy can really come in handy, if you can afford those other books---or have a friend who has them.

Preferably the friend part, unless you are rich enough The 3rd option is to be friendly with your local GW and take a look at the other books without buying. Make sure you do buy something at the same time though.