All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:40 am

Post subject: Re: Hobbit release rumor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Return to metals please and just stamp it as "GW Classic".

Just like Coca-Cola! Actually, this whole Finecast debacle reminds me of "New Coke" now that I think about it.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dorthonion wrote:
Looking at Dain's dwarves shown in the Hobbit Blog Number 8, I was struck by the vague similarity to the Uruk-hai. It is as if Saruman had seen the dwarven heavy armour and filed that information away for a rainy day... hmmmm.

I just had to watch that after you posted this. Just when I thought my 100-odd Dwarves were enough, these are coming. Gonna need at least a few dozen. God, I need help! :o :roll:

Anyway, who better to model armour after than the best smiths and armourers in Middle-earth? The Iron Hills Dwarves were famous for having invented a strong mesh-like leg cover.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Love the look of the dwarves, need to see King Dain. For some reason I like that character from the books even though he's not even major but he has a history in Middle-Earth. One of the mightiest dwarves ever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sacrilege83 wrote:
Jamros wrote:
That's very interesting if true; the original metal LotR releases certainly appealed to "model hobbyists" rather than just wargamers due to their material and quality. I'm sure a lot of those Fellowship of the Ring sales came from people who bought the boxed sets simply to paint them, with no regard for a game associated with the miniatures. Making it in plastic would be great for gamers, and the current boxed set layouts would fit well with The Hobbit. But, I feel plastic models would limit outside interest in purchasing any of the boxed sets. Still, if in Finecast, they would be probably be too expensive to be attractive to either exclusively wargamers or exclusively scale model hobbyists.

People who have seen my hobby always appreciated the metal miniatures over the plastic ones. They think I already pay a lot for tiny metal figutres, I don't want to even mention the cost of the plastics to them. Plastics just seems less valuable.

I beg to differ. For the same price (near enough) for which I can get 18 Perry metals, I can have 40 Perry plastics (not working with GW, as they don't have metal anymore officially, but there the exchange rate is even worse). Both are of near equal quality, the same scale, etc. etc. The same is true for every other manufacturer. And don't say "metals have better detail" because that's hardly noticable, or "I prefer metals because they weigh more", because then you should just glue some lead to the base and be done with it.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Telchar wrote:
Sacrilege83 wrote:
Jamros wrote:
That's very interesting if true; the original metal LotR releases certainly appealed to "model hobbyists" rather than just wargamers due to their material and quality. I'm sure a lot of those Fellowship of the Ring sales came from people who bought the boxed sets simply to paint them, with no regard for a game associated with the miniatures. Making it in plastic would be great for gamers, and the current boxed set layouts would fit well with The Hobbit. But, I feel plastic models would limit outside interest in purchasing any of the boxed sets. Still, if in Finecast, they would be probably be too expensive to be attractive to either exclusively wargamers or exclusively scale model hobbyists.

People who have seen my hobby always appreciated the metal miniatures over the plastic ones. They think I already pay a lot for tiny metal figutres, I don't want to even mention the cost of the plastics to them. Plastics just seems less valuable.

I beg to differ. For the same price (near enough) for which I can get 18 Perry metals, I can have 40 Perry plastics (not working with GW, as they don't have metal anymore officially, but there the exchange rate is even worse). Both are of near equal quality, the same scale, etc. etc. The same is true for every other manufacturer. And don't say "metals have better detail" because that's hardly noticable, or "I prefer metals because they weigh more", because then you should just glue some lead to the base and be done with it.

Plastics are much cheaper, and its becoming more common for the quality and sculpt of plastic miniatures to rival their typical wargaming metal or resin counterparts. Additionally, hard plastic seems to retain an undercoat better. For wargaming, plastic by far has to be the material of choice. But for display, or for miniatures that are to be "taken seriously" as art or whatever, I would prefer metal or resin. These materials tend to produce a better paint job. Metal gives a hard, sturdy surface with detail that does not get easily blurred under a few layers of paint, with a nice heft. Resin tends to absorb the paint better making layering and blending more smooth. Both are just much nicer materials to work with and often produce better results than plastic. I know I haven't explained myself well, but check out the top models at Cool Mini or Not...plenty of metal, resin, and self-sculpts, very little plastic. It's the best option for wargaming, but it just can't produce the results needed for display or serious collectors' miniatures.

Which is why I found it interesting that Bilbo, Thorin, and Co. might be released in plastic. This effectively targets only the wargaming market, unlike the last go around, which likely saw a large number of people purchasing several of the metal boxed sets just for collecting or painting.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:52 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Jamros wrote
Which is why I found it interesting that Bilbo, Thorin, and Co. might be released in plastic. This effectively targets only the wargaming market, unlike the last go around, which likely saw a large number of people purchasing several of the metal boxed sets just for collecting or painting.

Well thought out and presented 8)
I think it targets the "GW Hobby market" rather than the general wargaming market.That might be OK for GW but I don't think the Movie Licensee would care for it. The people who collect pewter figures for display don't care for plastic slotta bases because they don't paint or model. The metal GW figures already have limited appeal to figure collectors. They did not do as well as expected in Book stores for example. If the rumor is true maybe some one else can get the metal figure license.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agreed, well said Jamros.

Telchar wrote:

I think plenty would disagree with you on that with metals and platics having equal amount of detail, especially where GW Lotr minis are concerned. And from a collectors standpoint, gluing lead at the bottom of a base solves nothing because it has to do with the value of the miniature itself! I had some GW employee mentioned that dumb idea to me once concerning the Mordor troll model and I was like "yeah... not sold on it." Perhaps you think it's dumb that a miniature should weigh something, and that makes sense for gaming purposes, but collecting purposes I want the most value for my buck. Now these days a plastic Mountain Troll and Plastic Balrog goes for the same price as its metal counterparts when they were out. And it only took them a year or two from their release to do it. Like I didn't see that one coming from GW. So if I had plastic and metal trolls on the shelf side by side at the same price I would go for the metal one all the time naturally because it's more valuable collection wise. You can easily sculpt and convert plastic as much as you want (which is the highlight argument for plastics), but unless you're an expert converter, you devalue the model if you're to ever sell it or trade it with someone, more than it being just out of box or fully assembled, primed, or painted. Of course gamers shouldn't care about that sort of thing, but then again I've seen gamers trade away their models and armies.