All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:32 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit release list confirmed?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

emre43 wrote:
Just thought I would make the list more easily accessible by typing it up here:

Dwarves:
* Kili & Fili & Longbeard Archers
* Bombur with Kettle
* Drogo Baggins & The Tavern Maid
* Dain & Iron Hill Berserkers
* King Thrain and Longbeard Vanguard
* Young Thorin and Longbeard Mattockguard
* King Thror
* Dragon Mithril Company of Dwarves
* Dain Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders
* Dis, Mother of Fili & Kili
* Gimli (Stubble)
* Samwise Gamgee (Red Book)

Wargs:
* Dire Warg
* Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves
* Feral Wolf Pack
* The Werebeast
* Lagdush & Orc Wolfcloak Warriors
* Narzug & Orc Warg-Riders
* Dol Guldur Orc Overlords
* Orc Chieftain on Warg
* Orc Wolfbone Shaman

Dol Guldur:
* Leaping Spiders/Shiverfang Spiders
* Spiderlings
* The Willowhags
* Bloodwraiths
* Gwethil
* The Necromancer/Flesh Avatar
* Narzug & Orc Summoner Coven
* Tomb Wights
* Mounted Tomb Wights
* Saruman & The Ringwraiths
* Vampire Bat Swarms

White Council:
* Mounted Rivendell Nobles
* Lindir the Harper
* Arwen & Estel
* Galadriel (Barrel)
* Radagast with Roac & Swoop
* Galadriel (Water Steed)
* The War Council
* Galadriel & Lorien Drumhooves
* Chief Aravir & Dunedain Rangers
* Dunedain Runecaster
* Elrond & Rivendell Spearguard
* Elros & Rivendell Outriders
* Radagast's Chariot/Spellfire Cart
* Cirdan the Shipwright

Miscellaneous:
* Frodo with Red Book
* Smaug the Golden
* Gandalf (Dual Sword)
* Turin, The Dragonslayer

Adventure:
* Gandalf's Quest
* The Battle at the East Gate
* The Fall of Dale
* The Belltower
* A Thief in the Night
* Assault on the Eyrie
* The Clearing of Foul Roots
* Assault on the Barrows
* Clash of the Beasts
* Raid on the Wizard Hut
* The Last Stand
* The Raven Hill
* Thorin's Folly
* The Battle of Five Armies
* Breaking the Siege
* Revenge of the Goblin King
* Blacksoil Slope
* The Final Onslaught
* The Clouds Burst
* The Ritual
* The Haunted Tombs
* The Blight Breach
* Gollum's Escape

Mountain Orcs:
* Azog & Orc Needlers
* Azog (Wounded)
* Bolg & Great Goblin Bodyguard
* Armoured Hill-Trolls/Frenzied Trolls
* Orc Stone Thrower

Men of Esgaroth:
* King Girion
* Fram the Watchman
* The Master of Lake-Town
* Bard & Greystreak Bowmen
* Bain & Quickstrings Gang/Trout Guild Militia
* Alfrid & Loyal Town Guard
* Garf & Footsoldiers of the Dale

Grey Mountain Dragons:
* Fire-wyrms
* Braga and Goldscale Worshippers
* Venomblade Assassin
* Goldscale Priest
* Bofur on Cold-drake
* Dragon Thrall
* Money Bags & Hired Knives
* Fell Hatchlings

Beornings:
* Woodmen Healer
* Fair Daughter
* Meneldor & Swiftbeak Flock
* Gorm & Woodmen Axethrowers/Skin-changers
* Whisperbark/Gnarlfir
* Black Bear Pack
* Enraged Beorn
* Grimbeorn (Greataxe)

Silvan Elves:
* Mirkwood Warhost
* King Thranduil (Battle Garb)
* Tauriel (Mounted)
* Castellan Amroth

P. S. Anybody think Gwethil might be Thuringwethil seeing as there are also Vampire Bat Swarms listed?

I don't know, this list sounds kind of suspicious to me... Is GW even capable of releasing so many new sculpts/models like these in a short period of time? And how many times have we seen GW list things in LOME and WOTR that didn't see the light of day as a miniature? For all we know this could be planted information as well to spot leaks. This is certainly hyping the new product line though, too bad for me that I'm not half as excited as I would've been before Finecast. Still would be looking forward to W.I.Ps & Painting Challenges of these models from members of this community.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This could well be several years worth of releases. Plastic sets in particular are planned a couple of years. And I believe gw have taken on extra staff for the hobbit to avoid the problems they had when lotr was released.

But yes it is a very long list even more so when you consider that the note on the original list indicated the first movie models are not included. I may need to reconsider my intention to collect all of the hobbit range.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I know DMS is going to go crazy as well as a few others here that are collectors. For myself the only models that I really want and would be willing to shell out the cash for at their marketing price would be; Smaug, Beorn, Dain, the 13 dwarves. There are a few others that sounds interesting from the list that was posted but I'll wait and hope to stumble across them in liquidation sales, otherwise no. Dol Guldur Orc Overlords sounds like it could be something cool, like the Blackguard Uruk-hai once did before it came out. I just imagine some noble looking BAMF orcs!

I need to draw the line on this hobby unfortunately. It's getting expensive year by year, no more metals, can't count on the quality of Finecast, already have a large backlog and painting at a snail's pace doesn't help either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm really not looking forward to the dilemma of whether or not to get these...Until now, I've avoided finecast, sticking with metals whenever possible and because I wasn't too bothered with the new finecast exclusive models. But when the Hobbit comes out, its finecast or nothing. I hope theres a lot of plastic sets and Heroes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:28 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I first read this list last night, very excited. Now rereading it I am begining to doubt if it is genuine, its ment to be based on 2 film releases without named heros, the list seems to big.

I have not read The Hobbit for a few years but please correct me if I am wrong, Turin and Glaurung and not mentioned in it, so I have read PJ does not have the rights to use them?

Also the Stone Giants are not mentioned, they are going to be a big part of the first film I guess.

I hope the list is true, being a completist of collecting LOTR minatures, my wallet hopes it is flase.

Nice to know what other people think?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:36 am 
Lately, there has been rumors about 3 movies instead of 2, Peter Jackson trying to bring in as much backround as possible, which isn't only funded on the Hobbit book, but also on other tomes by Tolkien. So possibly Turin and Glaurung, aswell as the stone giants might have an appearance in one of the 3 movies, even though this is only speculation as far as I know!

What makes me doubt about the list is the fact that GW never let's anything slip through until 2-3 weeks before the release date. Also a leak of this proportion seems very unlikely as they reveal the releases for probably 3 or more years. Also their obligations towards New Line cinema should prevent such a leak...maybe there will be many vacanices in the GW HQ if the liste is genuine :P

I remain sceptical, even though I'm (after rereading the list several times) looking forword to some of the new sets, especially the feral wolves ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:44 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I hope theres a lot of plastic sets and Heroes.

The list was the big news at our club Friday night diner. Of course every one had deleted all of the Hobbit releases from their copy of the print outs. I did find out what the codes are because Little Bob had deleted all of the finecast as well. PL is Plastic and RE is finecast.
So there will be lots of plastic sets based on the warband rules.

In my group TSBG is Dead as a rock. No one wants to even talk about it. I think WHFB is on it's last legs.None of the young guys play it. The Older guys are not going to convert their old list after the Army Builder fiasco. The Young Guys don't Like the changes to 40K the Old Guys do. A number of the new guys are quitting 40K. I think most of the Group have decided to play Battle Tech for now. I am switching to the all Historical group. I am still going to the weekly dinners but I have not played 40K after the third addition. I never liked Battle Tech. Because of the economy only a couple of guys are going to GenCon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi Oldman Willow, what is TSBG please?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Harfoot » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:28 am

I have not read The Hobbit for a few years but please correct me if I am wrong, Turin and Glaurung and not mentioned in it......................Also the Stone Giants are not mentioned, they are going to be a big part of the first film I guess.

They are not likely to play any bigger part in the film than they did in the book. The short clip is probably all there will be. PJ has said he will produce three films. The First and Second age characters are part of the back ground for The Desolation of Smaug

Quote:
stone giants might have an appearance in one of the 3 movies

They made an appearance in the promotion material :lol:
Quote:
Also their obligations towards New Line cinema should prevent such a leak...maybe there will be many vacanices in the GW HQ if the liste is genuine :P

genuine :?: I don't go in for "conspiracy theories" But if you like that kind of thing , it looks better than Obama's birth certificate. The product, packaging and maternal codes are a clue to the origin. It is necessary to plain that far ahead for plastic manufacturing. With all of the bickering that goes on at GW I am sure some one going out the door would leave a present for management.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
what is TSBG please?

Sorry, the strategy battle game :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
The First and Second age characters are part of the back ground for The Desolation of Smaug

But unless they are mentioned and described in sufficient detail, neither PJ not GW could use them. There needs to be context which, to my memory, there isn't much in any of the books they have license for.

Still very interested to see it, though. Rumour has it that GW struck a deal with Christopher Tolkien in regards to Khamul. Maybe they'll do the same with Turin and Glaurung?

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

New link
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/08 ... -spoilers/
Quote:
But unless they are mentioned and described in sufficient detail, neither PJ not GW could use them. There needs to be context which, to my memory, there isn't much in any of the books they have license for.

There are an additional 100 pages of foot notes and appendixes in my Annotated Hobbit. There are now two volumes for the History of the Hobbit I am not sure what PJ has rights to. Sadly I have not finished reading all of it yet. So I can not say for certain anything more.

"for none could withstand the Dragonfire save the Dwarves of Belegost, who had come to battle a common foe." (The reference from Wikipedia was not foot noted)
Flash back in the film :?:

Quote:
Still very interested to see it, though. Rumour has it that GW struck a deal with Christopher Tolkien in regards to Khamul. Maybe they'll do the same with Turin and Glaurung?

I had not heard that. Christoper Tolkien has strong opinions,supported buy fact and reason, about his fathers work. But he is far more reasonable and generous that he is often made out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Come to think of it, perhaps it wasn't Christopher himself but the Estate. Either way, the name "Khamul" only appeared in The Book of Lost Tales, I think.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think even if this list does turn out to be disingenuous, a lot of the miniatures (or basic ideas) are probably going to happen anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The last seismic shift in the Game (to Warbands) made a host of models useless or nearly so. Shadowlord has all but disappeared from the table; my expensive Hobbit archers (shorn from Arnor) are gathering dust; etc, etc. As frustrated as I was at the waste of time and money, I do like the new rules and the ally possibilities. Yes, a little stat creep makes life interesting, but the sheer size of this list has me nervous: the first tremor of another major quake on the way. Just hoping it isn't a tsunami.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Rozinante wrote:
Shadowlord has all but disappeared from the table;

Hence the name Shadowlord.
I don't know could be a brilliant marketing strategy by GW for the gamers to buy new products. When coming out with a new rule set that features new products; beef their stats and special rules up so that power gamers would buy them. Then once sales of that product starts to go down by the time a new edition of the rule set is release, nerf the old profiles that were once superior before and make the new models have the superior profiles. That's my theory anyway as I read people's posts on certain models getting nerfed that came out at the later end of the Lotr era.
"You want to still be ahead of the game with a superior army for the latest edition?! Get the new models!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I don't know could be a brilliant marketing strategy by GW for the gamers to buy new products. When coming out with a new rule set that features new products; beef their stats and special rules up so that power gamers would buy them. Then once sales of that product starts to go down by the time a new edition of the rule set is release, nerf the old profiles that were once superior before and make the new models have the superior profiles. That's my theory anyway as I read people's posts on certain models getting nerfed that came out at the later end of the Lotr era.
"You want to still be ahead of the game with a superior army for the latest edition?! Get the new models!!!"

Is this not the strategy of every gaming company? This is very easily seen in 40k but GW are not able to do it as much to LOTR as they do have some limits.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is my first (and last?) tabletop strategy game, so I don't know. Old Man Willow mentioned 5 editions of Warhammer. Stat creep is fun. But if they pull another Warbands, this addict will hit bottom and find something useful to do with his time and money.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Rozinante wrote:
This is my first (and last?) tabletop strategy game, so I don't know. Old Man Willow mentioned 5 editions of Warhammer. Stat creep is fun. But if they pull another Warbands, this addict will hit bottom and find something useful to do with his time and money.

I fully agree - this is exactly how I feel, I have spent years building my armies and have been frustrated with GWS price hikes recently... But that's another argument.

It will be Interesting to see what's released at the end of the year!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Rozinante » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:45 am

There are lots of game systems and ways to enjoy your Middle Earth Miniatures with out being a slave to GW's short sighted and self limiting polices. I have all of the additions of Warhammer. I think there or eight. I still like the third addition best. You don't have to play at GW Stores or even use GW miniatures. You will get more enjoyment out of wargaming if you don't worry about "The GW Hobby" and find a group interested in having a good time. There are lots of good games and Miniatures out there. Privater Press has a policy never to write a rule that makes a figure in their line obsolete in their rule system. It is GW's Policy to deliberately cause figures to become useless or even illegal from addition to addition.
I collect Middle Earth Figures not GW figures.

Rant Starts here set to the tune from Patton or Dr. Strangelove

I am not a fan of plastic and will not purchase any more Finecast. I don't use GW hobby materials or paints. I like the SBG but will not be dictated to by some reject from Burger Kings School of Management. Just because you can spell customer service does not mean you understand what it is. The next red diaper doper baby first year under grade that uses capitalism in a sentence is likely to hear what I really think.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next