All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:43 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit release list confirmed?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

some of these words really, REALLY! terrify me:

Radagast's Chariot / Spellfire Cart
Dúnedain Runecaster
Dáin Ironfoot & Iron Hill Boar Riders
Galadriel (Water Steed)
Bloodwraiths
Gorm & Woodmen Axethrowers / Skin-Changers
The Willowhags
Braga & Goldscale Worshippers
Azog & Orc Needlers

some of those words sound disturbingly Warhammer-ish :o :o :o :o :o :o

only 3 expanations that i can think of:
1. Peter Jackson has gone mad with all the stress and the films will be very strange and inaccurate
2. that site is wrong
3.GW have taken to using code words for everything

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
SidTheSloth » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 am

Dúnedain Runecaster
Galadriel (Water Steed)
Bloodwraiths
The Willowhags
Azog & Orc Needlers

:lol: :lol:
Me too :!: The Rabbit pulled DR Who chariot for one :shock: The Willowhags :?: "More Witches" or Entwives as Chaos spawn :roll:
Ozog needlers :?: Orc archers or Dragon fly riders :?: :roll: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Galadriel (Water Steed) :?: :?: :?: :?: I don't want to even think about that. :shock: :shock: :shock: It is resin so I should not care :-X

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
There are lots of game systems and ways to enjoy your Middle Earth Miniatures with out being a slave to GW's short sighted and self limiting polices. I have all of the additions of Warhammer. I think there or eight. I still like the third addition best. You don't have to play at GW Stores or even use GW miniatures. You will get more enjoyment out of wargaming if you don't worry about "The GW Hobby" and find a group interested in having a good time.

Maybe it's just me, but I find using words like "slave" and comments like "worry about The GW Hobby" are really condescending. You're making assumptions about people's motives and interests that either aren't founded or simply differ from yours.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just for reference, most of the people who do "rumours" on other sites are saying this list is a bunch of lies.
It is basically a list of things we already knew were coming with some hobbit stuff that is obvious with a bunch of wishlisting both for 40k and the hobbit.
The timeline isnt there either so we might as well say "There will be a new mordor troll cast" and in 20 years time when they redo it I will say "I never said when"
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Geez, I find it funny how people say "I won't be a slave to X company!" NOBODY SAID YOU WERE. NOR WERE YOU EVER.

Some of this would be awesome, but I think it's fake. As for some of the names, they do say that Aravir is the current Dunedain chief when he lived hundreds of years before hand (so I'm guessing fake). Some of them (the skinchangers for instance) could be MEyish enough. And seeing as the Witch-King is called the Witch-King, it seems safe to say that having witches serving Sauron are relatively canon.

As for stat creep, of course that's going to happen, it happens in all wargames and even in TCG's. At least in wargames they can release a new edition and level things up by changing stats, which is what they did with warbands.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

well Draugluin, good comments IMHO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Draugluin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 pm
Geez, I find it funny how people say "I won't be a slave to X company!" NOBODY SAID YOU WERE. NOR WERE YOU EVER.

That was not the best choice of words but it was hardly a personal attack. It was a general statement. It was not directed to you. I don't think you are a slave to GW . Do you think you are?
Quote:
whafrog said.
Maybe it's just me, but I find using words like "slave" and comments like "worry about The GW Hobby" are really condescending. You're making assumptions about people's motives and interests that either aren't founded or simply differ from yours.

You and I have already agreed to disagree. I am not worried about your personal assessment of me. If you are acting as moderator have the moral courage to have some one else do it. I am already well aware of your opinion of me. I have agreed to be civil.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
It is basically a list of things we already knew were coming with some hobbit stuff that is obvious with a bunch of wishlisting both for 40k and the hobbit.

True but this is the rumor page :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
There are lots of game systems and ways to enjoy your Middle Earth Miniatures

I'd actually reverse that sentiment and say there are a lot of miniatures you can play the SBG with. I'm perfectly happy with the SBG rules, it's some of the miniatures I don't like. I agree with the sentiment that it can be a good change of pace to get away from GW for a bit. Tolkien set the standard for fantasy for a long time, there are tons of miniatures of elves, dwarves, & orcs that can be suitable. People have long complained about the plastic GW orcs lacking variety, Wargames Foundry makes a set with just the right feel.

Personally I can't stand the GW giant spiders other than Shelob. If I want to put together a Dol Guldor force there are plenty of evil looking spider manufactures to choose from though.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I can't stand the GW giant spiders other than Shelob

I think they are fine but I also have a few hundred that are not GW 8)
Quote:
Wargames Foundry makes a set with just the right feel.

I have a number K Adams orcs from when he worked for GW. I think he did many from the 1985 LOTR line as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
whafrog said.

You and I have already agreed to disagree. I am not worried about your personal assessment of me. If you are acting as moderator have the moral courage to have some one else do it. I am already well aware of your opinion of me. I have agreed to be civil.

Wow, that was years ago. I actually have a great deal of respect for your contributions here, your "awareness of my opinion" is antiquated.

No, I was not acting as moderator, I would have said what I said before. It's simply my opinion on your choice of expression.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
No, I was not acting as moderator, I would have said what I said before. It's simply my opinion on your choice of expression.

I will try to be more careful with hyperbole. I do make an effort that my comments are not personal.
Quote:
I actually have a great deal of respect for your contributions here, your "awareness of my opinion" is antiquated.

I have had little cause to disagree with your contributions as rules expert. I will make a note that my opinion is antiquated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SidTheSloth wrote:

Dúnedain Runecaster
Galadriel (Water Steed)
Bloodwraiths
The Willowhags
Azog & Orc Needlers

Those entries definitely caught my eye...Some of them had me imagining how on earth they would play out on screen alongside what is for the most part a very subdued and "realistic" fantasy (if that makes sense). Overall though, I'm pretty pumped by this list. Looks like a nice balance of minis to collect and paint and minis aimed at wargaming. Also, the possibility of seeing Turin both on screen and in miniature is very exciting, but it would have been cooler for it to have been a surprise while watching the film. This is overall a very intriguing list. Does anyone remember the series of boxed sets called "Encounters?" Some of them are still available. Ambush at Amon Hen, Escape from Orthanc, Captured By Gondor, Warg Attack, etc, etc--they came with a handful of metal models that were the core characters of a particular scene or scenario. Seems like the Adventure sets could be doing the same thing, but in plastic. Or, the Adventure sets could come with all of the models required for a particular scenario.

What's the speculation about whether this list is real or not? This could have been a giant list of what fans [i]want[i] to see in the three ranges, just like those fake 40K sixth edition rules.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

cereal_theif wrote:
Just for reference, most of the people who do "rumours" on other sites are saying this list is a bunch of lies.

Ummm, no they're not. In fact, most of the more reliable rumor mongers are saying this list matches what they have heard. Additionally, someone added that the list references some names he is aware of through his job that pj is using in the hobbit but that haven't been made known to the public yet.

There has also been some fairly in depth analysis of the product codes in this list that show them to be very internally consistent with how such things are actually used (especially the checksum integer at the end of he number)

And we do have a timeline, the list specifies that nothing on the list is due out before July of next year, and the organization on the original list very strongly suggests that it is broken up by months.

In fact, the only 2 rumor mongers I have seen who have dismissed this, one didn't seem to understand that this was all a year away and was comparing it to what he had heard was coming in the next 6 months or so, and the other one has a reputation for just making stuff up in order to drive up hits on his web site.

While it certainly could still be fake, the general consensus seems to be that it is basically legit, and that if it is a fake, it is one of he best executed ones in GW history.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Does anyone remember the series of boxed sets called "Encounters?" Some of them are still available. Ambush at Amon Hen, Escape from Orthanc, Captured By Gondor, Warg Attack, etc, etc--they came with a handful of metal models that were the core characters of a particular scene or scenario. Seems like the Adventure sets could be doing the same thing, but in plastic. Or, the Adventure sets could come with all of the models required for a particular scenario.

Yes, the Encounter sets are still my favorites. I was afraid that the new sets would be Finecast. The new rumor list gives me hope that at least they will be plastic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ForgottenLore
Quote:
While it certainly could still be fake, the general consensus seems to be that it is basically legit, and that if it is a fake, it is one of he best executed ones in GW history.

Well said :!:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Is there still the possibility for some of these names being internal codes? "Orc Needlers" etc has me a tad worried...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Orc Needlers" etc has me a tad worried...
:lol: we can hope they are just archers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
:lol: we can hope they are just archers

Yeah, but for the game's sake I hope they don't suddenly have a profile with s4 bows and a 3+ shoot value...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Yeah, but for the game's sake I hope they don't suddenly have a profile with s4 bows and a 3+ shoot value...

I did not think of that because I don't approach the collection like that. I look for games to play with my miniatures instead of miniatures to play with my game.
I am more concerned how the figures are based for example. The one inch round bases are a problem in some systems but I don't mind much because they are OK in others. If I like the way they look I will buy them.
As for Stat creep that is GW's plain to sell miniatures. I think the Policy is short sighted and self limiting. Don't shoot the messenger :-X It is not my policy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next