All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit release list confirmed?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oldman Willow wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf will be happy :!:
504019211470206 Wargs: Grinnah & Mirkwood Werewolves :D

16 Werewolves are better than 8.

I have a feeling that this LotR release list was actually for old LotR (1980s?) LotR/Hobbit not for the new line, but if they are then good news I suppose? :roll:

If the names like 'Needlers' sound daft it could be just a bad translation, like Warg Lootriders instead of Marauders last time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oldman Willow wrote:
I did not think of that because I don't approach the collection like that. I look for games to play with my miniatures instead of miniatures to play with my game.
I am more concerned how the figures are based for example. The one inch round bases are a problem in some systems but I don't mind much because they are OK in others. If I like the way they look I will buy them.
As for Stat creep that is GW's plain to sell miniatures. I think the Policy is short sighted and self limiting. Don't shoot the messenger :-X It is not my policy.

Sorry, I wasn't intending to take it out on you. It was just an observation on GW's standard practice. Frankly, I think the Mordor Orc sprue is old enough and the Orc profile is reasonable enough that GW could make new minis for that profile. Sadly, I doubt they will do so.

Unfortunately, I have few enough people to play the game with. Trying to find new rules would likely end up with me having no opponents at all :(

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just an addendum: the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that Evil consistently gets new troops with good rules while Good gets new Heroes some chaff troops. What's the most recent Gondorian addition? Blackroot Vale Archers... Meanwhile, evil has received Black Guard, Gundabad Blackshields, Merchant Guard, etc etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Just an addendum: the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that Evil consistently gets new troops with good rules while Good gets new Heroes some chaff troops. What's the most recent Gondorian addition? Blackroot Vale Archers... Meanwhile, evil has received Black Guard, Gundabad Blackshields, Merchant Guard, etc etc.

I think a lot of peoples share that opinion.

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't intending to take it out on you.

Sorry to give that impression. I never thought you were :!:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lord Hurin wrote:

One of the reasons for that is preparation for the Hobbit, how many good tropp types are there: new dwarves, new elves inc rivindell and mirkwood, men of dale, probably multiple troop types of each, but evil goblins, and a few monsters and creatures.

Then there is GW WFB 40K philosophy of Evil Is Always Better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
Draugluin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:13 pm
Geez, I find it funny how people say "I won't be a slave to X company!" NOBODY SAID YOU WERE. NOR WERE YOU EVER.

That was not the best choice of words but it was hardly a personal attack. It was a general statement. It was not directed to you. I don't think you are a slave to GW . Do you think you are?
Quote:
whafrog said.
Maybe it's just me, but I find using words like "slave" and comments like "worry about The GW Hobby" are really condescending. You're making assumptions about people's motives and interests that either aren't founded or simply differ from yours.

You and I have already agreed to disagree. I am not worried about your personal assessment of me. If you are acting as moderator have the moral courage to have some one else do it. I am already well aware of your opinion of me. I have agreed to be civil.

I never said that it was directed it at me, I've seen others say very similar things. I'm just saying that it's a company that is trying to make profits, you don't have to buy from them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Technically, Evil IS better, it was just because the Ring was destroyed that Good won.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
I never said that it was directed it at me, I've seen others say very similar things. I'm just saying that it's a company that is trying to make profits, you don't have to buy from them.

The problem is that we want the products but do not believe the prices are fair or that the quality justifies the price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Let's move on fella's. No use in continuing this circular argument :)

Back on topic - Do you think GW will drop LotR after The Hobbit comes out? (Updates wise, new minis)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

i certainly hope not!
i think perhaps LoTR will be out of the limelight for a while and certain armies will become less popular (such as Rohan, Gondor, Khand and others (factions that arn't in The Hobbit))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shieldmaiden wrote:

Back on topic - Do you think GW will drop LotR after The Hobbit comes out? (Updates wise, new minis)

If they do, they'll eventually lose the Licence. I doubt New Line, the Tolkien Estate etc will be happy for the holder of a potentially lucrative Licence (lucrative if only it was effectively marketed & supported) chooses to do nothing with it for years on end. Theres a lot of good if not better companies out there that I'm sure would jump at the chance to produce their own Licenced miniatures.

I think the main reason that the SBG went under the radar and almost died out for several years was the fact that GW was only half heartedly supporting it. GW does absolutely nothing to keep interest in the Franchise going. Instead of advertising, pushing the game, raising the public's awareness of it; they just piggyback on the publicity from the Movies then shove the game aside when the general public loses interest or forget about the LotR. Instead of being Pro-active by doing their best to maintain interest, they just react to dying interest by dropping support. It got very little attention in White Dwarf for a long time (usually only devoting space to it when new miniatures were released).

At the very least, I think GW's LotR range should be advertised using targeted Ads. LOTR franchise DVDs/Blu-rays, video games, board games and Books could come with leaflet inserts advertising the LOTR range. When trailers for the Movies are shown on TV, a short advert for GW should be tagged on the end or follow it. It could arrange for Facebook ads on pages related to the LOTR. Basically just announce to people "If you're interested in the Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit, check out our range of Licenced miniatures and board games". Dropping support for the game once the hype for the Movies has died down and people begin to forget about the LOTR in general won't achieve anything.

I would never have even heard of Gamesworkshop and its Lord of the Rings range if a friend had not introduced me to the SBG by playing a game with me 10 years ago. (Funnily enough he's long since quit the game and I'm still playing).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Do you think GW will drop LotR after The Hobbit comes out? (Updates wise, new minis)

No. However, most of the people that GW thinks they need to target will have not read the books or even seen the LOTR movies. The Hobbit, if it is a hit, will become the focus. One of my foster children is approaching GW's target age. He likes the Clone Wars cartoons. He does not care about Star Wars and will not play with any of the Star Wars figures. He likes Clone Wars. He Plays with the Clone Wars figures. He won't play LOTR. His 5 year old sister likes the Hobbit cartoon and sings the songs. She has started looking through my LOTR art books and asking questions. She is probably hooked. The only way the boy will ever play is if his friends like the movies. Have you ever tried to keep a 11 year old boys attention for three hours. :?: Have you noticed that younger collectors don't like the older figures :?: The collectors that started with metals like metal. The collectors that started with plastic like plastic. Most young players loose interest when they start being interested in girls. If they started when they were 12 with the first movies they are 24 now. GW's business model might work in the UK with the company store. It will go over like alligator shoes at a PETA rally here. Why :?: because the LOTR fans are adults. I still don't think they will drop the line because three is often a resurgence in interest in hobbies after familys have been established. There would not be as many 5,000 figure collections if that were not so. Also 2015 should be about the right time for LOTR movie nostalgia.There is already a run on metals.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

King Ondoher wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

The problem is that we want the products but do not believe the prices are fair or that the quality justifies the price.

Then don't buy them if you think they're too expensive.

Shieldmaiden wrote:

Probably not drop it, so much as kinda fit the models and such into the Hobbit. Like if they come up with any new rules or releases, they'll be Hobbit focused, but will still be LotR compatible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Location: Chester, Cheshire, or Durham, Co. Durham, both England.
BilboOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
southdunedain wrote:
This list does nothing to settle my doubts - but I am aware that GW are probably going to milk the opportunity for all its worth, and in turn take some liberties, just as they did with LotR.

Alot of these could just be made up GW creations instead of creations PJ went with for the movies. GW pulled alot of things out of their imagination when they made their first supplement Shadow and Flame back in the day. FotR didn't have dwarves, goblin shamans, Durbûrz...GW made up rules/models for Radagast, Tom Bombadil, the Barrow-wights, Elladan and Elrohir, etc. I expect there to be things on this list that are just GW creations, but it really doesn't both me much as I will probably only get a few pieces anyway...ok, that part probably isn't true but I'd like to believe that I won't spend alot. :)

Agreed on all counts! I've been out of the hobby for a while now, but still...I have this feeling that I may end up ensnared (if that's the right word?!)...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

southdunedain wrote:
Agreed on all counts! I've been out of the hobby for a while now, but still...I have this feeling that I may end up ensnared (if that's the right word?!)...

Oh yeah, "ensnared" is the right word! LOL :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:

This is getting to be a bothersome "counter-argument" to be honest. GW SHOULD want the input of veteran consumers of their products. The impression I get is that they don't, which both irks and worries me. Their prices are outrageous, there's no two ways about it. Sure, I won't buy them or won't buy as much even though I can afford to. At the end of the day, for me it's not whether I have $100 to spend, but whether I think that money is well spent. GW miniatures just don't have the value for money any more. I can't stress enough how much they should care about that, especially in this economy.

Draugluin wrote:
Probably not drop it, so much as kinda fit the models and such into the Hobbit. Like if they come up with any new rules or releases, they'll be Hobbit focused, but will still be LotR compatible.

This I agree with. Unfortunately, fans of Isengard, Harad, Gondor and Rohan might have little to nothing to purchase in the near future...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Not to mention Easterlings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

This is getting to be a bothersome "counter-argument" to be honest.

Its his ONLY counter-argument.

@Draugluin, I don't know how old you are but I've been informed you're relatively young. If you're younger than ~ 15, then that will likely explain why you can't grasp just how overpriced GW's products are these days.

I'm only 21, and have been playing since about the age of 12 yet I have seen huge differences in GW prices. In just 10 years, I have seen them more than double their prices. When I started, I recall getting 24 model infantry boxes for ~ £15 (£0.63 per model). This went up steadily year by year by fairly small amounts (£1-£2).

Then, less than a year ago GW halved the boxes in preperation for Warbands. On top of this, it upped the price to £13.50 (£1.13 per model) - which would make 24 models cost £26. This is already extremely high for plastic models. And yet, in the last couple of months it upped the prices again to £15 per 12 models (£1.25 per model). 24 models now cost £30.

According to ThisisMoney.co.uk, the UK has seen ~ 28% total inflation. GW has increased its prices by 100%. Clearly we aren't getting anything remotely representing reasonable prices.

Finally, I can't help but notice how your default response is always 'Don't buy them then'. Not getting them is not an option for us because we are so heavily invested in the game, and especially in the Lord of the Rings. As Old Man Willow said, the fact that GW has the LOTR Licence is the only real reason to stick them - no other companies produce miniatures based on the films and books. So the choice is not "Put up with the prices or don't buy them". Its "Put up with the prices or quit the Lord of the Rings". (This applies far more to Collectors like Old Man Willow, than to predominant Gamers like myself who can skirt round the issue by proxying using other companies miniatures (which rarely resemble the LOTR btw).

Now, Draugluin, if you are still unable to acknowledge our point of view and understand why we feel this way (even if you don't agree with us), then don't bother responding to me, because it would just become yet another circular argument.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Do you think GW will drop LotR after The Hobbit comes out? (Updates wise, new minis)

Absolutely not. Why drop the range while models for both films are interchangeable? Now if it was made by Del-Torro with completely new designs then there might be a chance, but orcs will be orcs in the Hobbit and in LOTR.

I don't know why whenever there is a big new release people thing the old will be abandoned. When WOTR came out everyone said SBG will be dropped. When Warbands came out everyone said WOTR will be dropped. They won't drop them as long as they are using the same models.

Also the films had sustained GW for 9 years (at least) after return of the king came out. It should have the same effect on the hobbit, so it will be sustained until 2023 (9 years after 2014, when the final hobbit film is released) and who knows by then maybe the Silmarillion or the Children of Hurin will be in development for a film. I don't see GW going out of business anytime soon.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You might have to wait a century or two if you wnat to see the Silmarillion as a film.

Some of th designs are still different. The Wargs for instance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next