All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit release list confirmed?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

King Ondoher wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
Then don't buy them if you think they're too expensive.

This is getting to be a bothersome "counter-argument" to be honest.

Its his ONLY counter-argument.

@Draugluin, I don't know how old you are but I've been informed you're relatively young. If you're younger than ~ 15, then that will likely explain why you can't grasp just how overpriced GW's products are these days.

I'm only 21, and have been playing since about the age of 12 yet I have seen huge differences in GW prices. In just 10 years, I have seen them more than double their prices. When I started, I recall getting 24 model infantry boxes for ~ £15 (£0.63 per model). This went up steadily year by year by fairly small amounts (£1-£2).

Then, less than a year ago GW halved the boxes in preperation for Warbands. On top of this, it upped the price to £13.50 (£1.13 per model) - which would make 24 models cost £26. This is already extremely high for plastic models. And yet, in the last couple of months it upped the prices again to £15 per 12 models (£1.25 per model). 24 models now cost £30.

According to ThisisMoney.co.uk, the UK has seen ~ 28% total inflation. GW has increased its prices by 100%. Clearly we aren't getting anything remotely representing reasonable prices.

Finally, I can't help but notice how your default response is always 'Don't buy them then'. Not getting them is not an option for us because we are so heavily invested in the game, and especially in the Lord of the Rings. As Old Man Willow said, the fact that GW has the LOTR Licence is the only real reason to stick them - no other companies produce miniatures based on the films and books. So the choice is not "Put up with the prices or don't buy them". Its "Put up with the prices or quit the Lord of the Rings". (This applies far more to Collectors like Old Man Willow, than to predominant Gamers like myself who can skirt round the issue by proxying using other companies miniatures (which rarely resemble the LOTR btw).

Now, Draugluin, if you are still unable to acknowledge our point of view and understand why we feel this way (even if you don't agree with us), then don't bother responding to me, because it would just become yet another circular argument.

Do NOT talk down to me, you're only 2 years older than me. I KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET ABOUT THE PRICES, I'M UPSET ABOUT THEM TOO. I understand your point, but I don't think that YOU understand mine. I hate to see people complain about stuff to the wrong people, if you hate the prices so much, let GW know about it, not people on some forum. It's not my fault, or anyone else's for that matter that you're so heavily invested in the game. So stop saying that I don't understand your viewpoint, I DO, I even agree with it! I just want people to stop griping about it on here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
You might have to wait a century or two if you wnat to see the Silmarillion as a film.

Christopher Tolkien is apparently the man to convince, and he's dead set against it. He is however, 87. A decade or so from now we'll learn what his children or other heirs think about it.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ring_of_Gyges wrote:
Christopher Tolkien is apparently the man to convince, and he's dead set against it. He is however, 87. A decade or so from now we'll learn what his children or other heirs think about it.

From what I've heard, the rest of the Tolkien Estate hierarchy are toeing the line. Simon, Christopher's son, wanted to help PJ with the movies or at least publicly support him in making the films. Apparently Simon and Christopher's relationship has been quite strained as a result...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
Ring_of_Gyges wrote:

From what I've heard, the rest of the Tolkien Estate hierarchy are toeing the line. Simon, Christopher's son, wanted to help PJ with the movies or at least publicly support him in making the films. Apparently Simon and Christopher's relationship has been quite strained as a result...

I read that interview, Simon said he found it interesting that (I believe) some Americans couldn't understand how a father can completely just cut you out of their lives. If you go against the 'head' of the house, or something along those lines. Essentially it seemed like Simon wanted to embrace the idea(Kinda along the lines that it was gonna happen, why not support it and influence it?) but Christopher was completely against this. He also mentioned that, again how I recall it, that his step-mother has his 'shares' or 'vote' in the Tolkien estate that Christopher controls. Something like that.

Though at the same time saying Christopher Tolkien is 87, and we'll learn what his kids think about making a movie of his father's works because he'll be dead... I mean kinda morbid don't you think?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
Do NOT talk down to me, you're only 2 years older than me. I KNOW WHY PEOPLE ARE UPSET ABOUT THE PRICES, I'M UPSET ABOUT THEM TOO. I understand your point, but I don't think that YOU understand mine. I hate to see people complain about stuff to the wrong people, if you hate the prices so much, let GW know about it, not people on some forum. It's not my fault, or anyone else's for that matter that you're so heavily invested in the game. So stop saying that I don't understand your viewpoint, I DO, I even agree with it! I just want people to stop griping about it on here.

On reflection, I realise that my comment was rude and condescending so I apologise. Based on your previous comments on the prices I never got the impression that you had a problem with the prices too - rather I thought you were denying the problem altogether. However it would help if you actually said that you agree (that the prices are bad), whenever you respond to complaints over prices. People might respond differently then if they understood your own view better. If I'd known your view, I wouldn't have made that comment because I'd have had a better context to understand your own comments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RyuAzai wrote:
Lord Hurin wrote:
Though at the same time saying Christopher Tolkien is 87, and we'll learn what his kids think about making a movie of his father's works because he'll be dead... I mean kinda morbid don't you think?

Perhaps a morbid statement, but true nonetheless. Gyges never mentioned he wished death upon C. Tolkien just for the sake of a film to be made. That would be pretty sad, but he was just stating the reality of the situation. I do hope though that films or a miniseries will be made based upon The Silmarillion during my life time and it doesn't have to be anytime soon because I understand there's no chance of that happening during Christopher's lifetime. Here's hoping that the heirs don't follow suit otherwise it won't happen during my lifetime.

Maybe we should start a new topic somewhere else debating the issue of the Tolkien Estate keeping the stance of not selling the film rights of Silmarillion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:

Then, less than a year ago GW halved the boxes in preperation for Warbands. On top of this, it upped the price to £13.50 (£1.13 per model) - which would make 24 models cost £26. This is already extremely high for plastic models. And yet, in the last couple of months it upped the prices again to £15 per 12 models (£1.25 per model). 24 models now cost £30.

Haven't collected in years but jesus christ, that's outrageous! I didn't even notice that on the site til I checked there. I presumed they were still 24 figs a box. Was going to buy some for the little fella here at home, glad I didn't now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds like a lot of epicness (Dwarf Mattockmen!) and a lot of Devlan Mud (Boar riders? seriously?)is incoming

:puppy:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do you think this'll lead to a new intrest in SBG (as oppose to WOTR)? The adventure of the hobbit doesn't seem to have the same sort of mass armies that LOTR had, even despite PJ's additions and changes to the original story.
P.S What the heck (if it exists) is an 'Adventure' set?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lord of Gondor wrote:
Do you think this'll lead to a new intrest in SBG (as oppose to WOTR)? The adventure of the hobbit doesn't seem to have the same sort of mass armies that LOTR had, even despite PJ's additions and changes to the original story.
P.S What the heck (if it exists) is an 'Adventure' set?

The Warbands release with its accompanting SBG-only models released earlier where to (and appeared to have succeeded in) generate interest back into SBG, in anticipation for the Hobbit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The employee at my local independent gaming store told me that the promotion and marketing of The Hobbit miniatures range will start on November. According to him this may also include released minis.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
dragulin said: they do say that Aravir is the current Dunedain chief when he lived hundreds of years before hand (so I'm guessing fake)...

apparently not... aravir was one of the early chieftains of the Dunedan (appendix A, RotK)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tolkien did reuse names (as do we in our own world), and GW has gone name-mining in the appendices before as well.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Beowulf03809 wrote:
Tolkien did reuse names (as do we in our own world), and GW has gone name-mining in the appendices before as well.

Did Tolkien confirm Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel in LotR are one and the same? I'm sure he did...

If so I can't see Turin's profile being much different.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Originally they were different people, but Tolkien changed that because he decided Elven names were all individual. This doesn't rule out the name Aravir being used again, as it's a Mannish name.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The answer to the Glorfindel question is covered here: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/g/glorfindel.html

Just in case the link does not work, here is the explanation from The Encyclopedia of Arda (great reference for Middle-earth folks!)

Quote:
The Problem of the Two Glorfindels

With the possible exception of Tom Bombadil's identity (and - of course - the wingedness or otherwise of Balrogs), there is no more hotly debated topic than the ultimate fate of Glorfindel. Were Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel of Rivendell the same person?

The only real resource we have to answer this question is in The Peoples of Middle-earth (The History of Middle-earth Vol. 12): XIII Last Writings, Glorfindel. Christopher Tolkien dates the notes he gives here at 1972, the year before his father's death.

These notes clear up one question immediately: at the time of the writing of The Lord of the Rings, Glorfindel of Rivendell was not conceived as the same character as Glorfindel of Gondolin. Tolkien says, 'Its use [i.e. the name 'Glorfindel'] in The Lord of the Rings is one of the cases of the somewhat random use of the names found in the older legends ... which escaped reconsideration in the final published form...'.

Tolkien was far from happy with this state of affairs, however, and it seems that he intended to reconcile the problem by uniting the two strands of the story. In summary, the notes tell us that Glorfindel's spirit returned to the Halls of Waiting, but was after a time re-embodied by the Valar. He then returned to Middle-earth (either in the mid-Second Age, or as a companion of the Istari in the Third). For the full story of his return, refer to The Peoples of Middle-earth.

The question of Glorfindel's identity, then, brings us to a much wider, and highly relevant, question. Can we accept a writer's personal notes, whether written in preparation for a published work, or simply for personal satisfaction, as part of that writer's 'canon'?

The importance of this question is highlighted by the essay entitled The Problem of Ros in the same volume of The History of Middle-earth. This is an extensive disposition on the origins and meaning of the syllable ros in names such as Elros. The details need not concern us here: what is relevant is the fact that, after its composition, Tolkien noticed a detail in the published Lord of the Rings that essentially negated the discussion. He dismissed the body of The Problem of Ros with four words; 'most of this fails'.

But what if he had not noticed this inconvenient fact (that Cair Andros had already been interpreted, and disagreed with his conclusions)? What if he had noticed, but had failed to record the fact? Would The Problem of Ros now be considered part of the 'Tolkienian' canon in the way that many regard the notes on Glorfindel? Questions like this show that we cannot simply take such notes on immediate face value.

Despite this, the Glorfindel notes lead many to see his re-embodiment and return to Middle-earth as 'fact' (and not a few have e-mailed us to remind us of this!) The purpose of this rather lengthy aside, though, is to show that we cannot view these 'events' in such concrete terms. This is the reason that the 'two Glorfindels' have separate entries on this site. This is not because we do not believe that Tolkien saw them as different embodiments of the same character (as we have seen, there are strong indications that he did), but simply because there is no definitive, published, proof of this.

Make what you want of that. I just see the possibility of two fantastic warriors from two different ages, making life difficult for the goblins. Sweet!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think that a note on an actual part of the Lotr canon should have more weight behind it than a note on an essay. I personally think that Glorfindel is a single character.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK guys, the fun is over... its a hoax. :( http://www.theonering.net/torwp/
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:39 pm 
I kneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew it...they would never leak something as big as this list!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We better still get High Elven cavalry. :-X

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next