All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 3:14 pm

Post subject: Shooting into forests
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My friend and I were talking about this and were a bit unsure of what is the official word on this.

If a unit is moving through a forest that is considered rough terrain, can you shoot into them, but have to roll in the way for the woods?

Or does the forest count as being 'covering line of sight' and you are just unable to shoot into it? Does it just depend on the thickness of the forest?

What if a unit is on the -other- side of the forest? Can you shoot at them still, but roll in the way for the forest?
 Post subject: Re: Shooting into forests
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that you need to specify this for every terrain piece before the battle at least in WoTR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:50 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

whenever we use woods in battles we tend to use true line of sight. If you can see the model then it can be shot. If it's obscured by a tree then you get an 'in the way' roll. Just make sure both yourself and your opponent are clear before you start the game.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

We use WYSIWYG, it makes it far simpler. Just get down to table level and look.

Before we had enough terrain we had a house rule where if a model was more than 1" inside a wooded area, any shooting required an in-the-way for each extra inch. So if a model was between 3" and 4" in the woods, there would be 2 itw to shoot him, and he'd suffer 2 itw to shoot out. In retrospect that was too much cover, and I'm glad I made lots of good terrain :)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Unread postby Constantine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 am
I think that you need to specify this for every terrain piece before the battle at least in WoTR

I always go with WYSIWYG

Quote:
Post by whafrog » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am
We use WYSIWYG, it makes it far simpler. Just get down to table level and look.

Before we had enough terrain we had a house rule where if a model was more than 1" inside a wooded area, any shooting required an in-the-way for each extra inch. So if a model was between 3" and 4" in the woods, there would be 2 itw to shoot him, and he'd suffer 2 itw to shoot out. In retrospect that was too much cover, and I'm glad I made lots of good terrain :)

That is a good house rule for stylized terrain. The Legends of the Old West and the Legends of the Seven Seas use a ITWT of 5 or 6 for some terrain. 5 or 6 for the rigging of a ship for example.
Fire arms would use 5 or 6 shooting across a wooden fence. There would be no reason not to use 3,4,5,6 for the ITW test for very heavy stylized woods in stead of per inch.

LOS would be blocked per the rule book

These two sections of woods have not been used for a game they are still on the work bench. I did not think about a scale when I took the photo. The section on the right is tall enough in some places to completely block LOS. There is room on the model to place archers who would take a normal ITW test from the front. If shot at from right to left the shooter might have to take several test. From left to right a shooter might not even have LOS. WYSIWYG is what I usually do.

Movement- I use WYSIWYG too. The section on the right the base is difficult terrain. For the section on the right it is difficult terrain from right to left but requires an additional climb test from the front and left to right.
Is this how you generally understand the rules :?:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What exactly does WYSIWYG mean ;)?

And sorry about before, I was saying this in terms of SBG(Forgot to add that to the title.)

The general consensus I'm getting here is that just use line of sight, and roll in the way depending on what you see? But make sure each players understand before starting?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

RyuAzai wrote:
What exactly does WYSIWYG mean ;)?

What you see is what you get.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RyuAzai wrote:
The general consensus I'm getting here is that just use line of sight, and roll in the way depending on what you see?

Line of sight is always easiest, makes for fewer arguments (if you can't agree just roll a D6 and move on). Note that if any part of the model is obscured there is an ITW, but "the model" does not include hair, manes, weapons, tall plumed hats, etc.