All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 3:27 pm

Post subject: Dwarf Vault Team and Ballista questions.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was just rereading The Free Peoples book and I saw that the spearman of the Vault Warden Team has defense 5 while wearing Dwarf armor. Is this right, shouldn't it be Defense 6? A Dwarf Ranger wearing plain armor has Defense 5 as well despite the fact that Dwarf armor adds more defense. Furthermore the crewmen of the Ballista that were Dwarf armor themselves, have defense 6!! Shouldn't the spearman have defense 6 as well?
Another question regarding the Scatter chart: On a roll of 2-5 it says that your opponent may nominate one of his own battlefield targets to be hit by the ballista if he wishes. So this practically mean that a siege engine will only hit on a roll of 6? (assuming the opponent is logical and doesn't nominate another model to be hit)
And a third question irrelevant to the rules though, now that the Vault Wardens are Finecast, do they only come in one pose or in two as it used to be when they were metal?

Thanks for your time and replies! :pippin:
 Post subject: Re: Dwarf Vault Team and Ballista questions.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I was just rereading The Free Peoples book and I saw that the spearman of the Vault Warden Team has defense 5 while wearing Dwarf armor. Is this right, shouldn't it be Defense 6? A Dwarf Ranger wearing plain armor has Defense 5 as well despite the fact that Dwarf armor adds more defense. Furthermore the crewmen of the Ballista that were Dwarf armor themselves, have defense 6!! Shouldn't the spearman have defense 6 as well?

thats because its dwarf armour not dwarf heavy armour :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I thought dwarf heavy armor was +4 and dwarf armor +3.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Then how come the ballista crewmen and the Dwarves that wear plain Dwarf armor have more defense than the spearmen?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Constantine wrote:
Then how come the ballista crewmen and the Dwarves that wear plain Dwarf armor have more defense than the spearmen?

In Khazad-dum the entry only list Foe Spears as wearing light armour, something that wasn't carried across to the entry in the Free Peoples book

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Constantine wrote:
Another question regarding the Scatter chart: On a roll of 2-5 it says that your opponent may nominate one of his own battlefield targets to be hit by the ballista if he wishes. So this practically mean that a siege engine will only hit on a roll of 6? (assuming the opponent is logical and doesn't nominate another model to be hit)

No, he can choose another target but if he doesn't the original target is still hit.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oh, didn't know that. That would make my avenger much better.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

hithero wrote:
Constantine wrote:

No, he can choose another target but if he doesn't the original target is still hit.

I'm afraid hithero you are wrong (but just this time) I have the book in front of me.

2-5 Your opponent may nominate one of his own battlefield targets within 6"/14cm of the initial target as the new target, if he wishes. If there is no other suitable target, the shot misses completely.

Word for word from the ORB. If there is a suitable target within 6" (or 3" for the avenger) then it must be the target. Your opponent cannot 'make' it miss. You only hit the original target on a 6. Hopefully this makes sense.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SouthernDunedain wrote:
hithero wrote:
Constantine wrote:

I'm afraid hithero you are wrong (but just this time) I have the book in front of me.

2-5 Your opponent may nominate one of his own battlefield targets within 6"/14cm of the initial target as the new target, if he wishes. If there is no other suitable target, the shot misses completely.

Word for word from the ORB. If there is a suitable target within 6" (or 3" for the avenger) then it must be the target. Your opponent cannot 'make' it miss. You only hit the original target on a 6. Hopefully this makes sense.

So statistically, it's better to aim at the mini next to who you want dead, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Shieldmaiden wrote:

So statistically, it's better to aim at the mini next to who you want dead, right?

I guess.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
hithero wrote:
Constantine wrote:

Sorry but you are misreading the rule. If there is 'no other target' then the shot will miss, but if there is another possible target and its not nominated then the shot hits its original target. So basically, if you shoot at a lone guy then you need a six to hit him or miss altogether.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Excuse me but I still think by saying " if he wishes" then that actually gives him a choice whether to nominate another target or not. But assuming hithero's explanation is correct (which I really hope it is, cause that would make Ballistas useful) then it's a lot smarter to aim at a bunch next to your intended target.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Edit: Never mind, I thought you were both saying the same thing. I agree with hithero though :)

As for which target to aim for, the opponent doesn't have to relocate the shot and if he does so, it's going to be to either a less valuable model or a model more likely to withstand the shot. They're unlikely to allocate it to the model you want targetted in the first place. So when planning your shots, first look at the layout of the enemy models, so there is at least an alternate target within range if possible so the shot WILL hit but if possible make sure they're valuable targets so they can't kill a Goblin warrior instead of his Shaman or something (obviously this is just down to luck). Then aim for the model you actually want to hit, as on a 6 you'll hit it regardless and the opponent may just let it hit anyway. Unless you want to engage in mind games and try and convince them that you don't want to hit the model that you're actually aiming for so they'll reallocate the wound.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

my bad hithero, like you said - mis-interpretered the rule. thanks for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday, even after 8 years of playing :oops:

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:
my bad hithero, like you said - mis-interpretered the rule. thanks for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday, even after 8 years of playing :oops:

Ok, you are forgiven - this time :p