All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:24 pm

Post subject: Need help starting an elf army?!?!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys,

I am starting a lothlorien and mirkwood themed army with maybe some other woodland type creatures like ents or radagast. The only problem is i dont know how to start it. At the moment i have got the free peoples sourcebook, Haldir with bow and 12 wood elves (4 with elven blade, 4 with bows, 4 with spears). Any suggestions to expand?
 Post subject: Re: Need help starting an elf army?!?!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd say get another box of wood elves and Legolas. Legolas is a must for a mirkwood army. Wood Elf sentinials are very useful, and a wood elf command set would be good too.

:legolas:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you really didnt mind waiting, i would say wait for the hobbit. That way, you can include the new mirkwood models coming out :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:42 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Wood elves are great, but a bit tricky to play, because their low defence means you need to leverage their other strengths, which takes some experience. If you want a bit more flexibility while you're learning to play, a box of Galadhrim and a hero like Rumil gives you some armour, and gives you two warbands total, one led by a shooting hero and one by a fighting hero. If you get the command set you'll get a stormcaller (plus some other useful models), and with another box of either wood elves or Galadhrim (depending on what flavour you want) you should have plenty to play with for games in the 500 to 600 point range.

After that it depends which direction you want to go: Sentinels have already been mentioned as very useful; Guards of the Galadhrim Court are also good to throw into the mix. You also have some good heroes to choose from, but wait until your army is over 600 points before adding someone like Galadriel.

I will say the equipment configurations in the plastic box sets aren't optimal. They're fine for just starting to play, but as an example: the box kits give you 4 figures with elf blades (1/3rd of the box), so your warband would be 4 spears, 4 blades, 4 bows. However, I'd probably prefer a warband with 6 spear + throwing dagger, 2 blades + throwing dagger, 4 bows (perhaps adding spears to the bows); or for the Galadhrim box: 6 spear + shield, 4 bows, 2 blades.

Hope that helps...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can make a decent 500pt beginner army out of 1box of wood elves, 1box of galadhrim, 1set of sentinels, haldir, and legolas. It's not great but could provide you with a nice rounded starting force. Every thing whafog said is gold.
Next if you want to continue the army get rumil+1box of wood elves or galadhrim and a box of commanders. After that go for some elites and expensive heroes. Soon enough you'll have a thousand-to-two tousand points of elves to crush your enemies with:)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your replys. I have decided to go my local games workshop on saturday and get a box of galadhrim warriors and order Rumil. My friend also gave me another box of wood elves and legolas for free! My force will be: Haldir with 4 spears-4 elven blades-4 elvem bows (wood elves), Legolas with 4 spears-4 elven blades-4 elven bows (wood elves), Rumil with 4 spears with shield-4 elven blades-4 elven bows (galadhrim warriors). Any suggestions on improvement and also thanks again for the feedback, i will put up some pictures and blog about my process soon :-D

Also i may get an ent or eagle. Which is better for defeating a rohan,minas tirith and army of the dead army?? And are they also worth there points??

Thanks again :)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You may want to consider a banner bearer in there. I'd go with the Eagle instead of an Ent,his ability to fly makes him able to attack high priority targets (like banner bearers, musicians) more easily. Plus he doesn't cost so much point-wise so even if mishandled during a game its loss won't be that detrimental. But I am no expert in Elves, better wait for some opinions from more experienced Elven players. :pippin:

Once again welcome to the One Ring!!

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the reply :D

I have taken your advice and have ordered a wood elf command (wood elf captain and banner bearer) so hope fully that will come soon. Also another question :P sorry for the bombardment of questions :/

Anyway, who would be better to lead a gladhrim warriors warband, Rumil or thranduil or celeborn?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All have their merits. Rumil is cheapest and has a handy special rule, thranduil is a decent mid range hero with his autocast natures wrath (also handy) and celeborn is your expensive fighty dude. I would only use celeborn in games 750+ pts otherwise you start to lose numbers.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

But Celeborn is a fighty hero who at 500 pts very few others can actually stand up to (particularly when coupled with his immobilize).

The others have basically covered everything essential to starting. Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you all for the feedback :D

I will take everything into consideration and will be posting up more topics and blogging about my army soon.

Much appreciated with the help :)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

At 500pts with celeborn you will only get two war bands which is a max of 26 models. You'll have to play smart, and don't get cocky with celeborn!
Personally I prefer(with woodland realms) to have 30+ models. Normally I run, rumil, haldir and a storm caller at 500 pts. You can switch haldir for another 80-90pt hero and still have a solid list.
In regards to your acctual question at 500pts rumil or thranduil are better for their points. Above that you can use celeborn.

Also I'm sure someone is going to complain about how useful/cost effective celeborn is, but for fluff he looks really cool leading galadhrim:)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey kentaro i know you're talking bout my army where you dunno bout the ent or eagle but if i were u go for the eagle if an ent gets swarmed there is a high chance it can die and i dont know alot about the eagle but i hear its alot better then the ent :-D
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@WhoelsebutHaldir- I completely agree that one has to play smart with a major hero at 500pts. And yes, the Rumil, Haldir, and stormcaller/ captain group at 500 pts is very solid. Personally, I'm not against using a larger hero in a small-scale battle, but it really depends on my mood. And I do think that Celeborn is cost effective. Elrond, on the other hand...

But, to throw another option of potential hero out there, I would put consideration on Gildor- if only for the fact that he is under costed for his profile.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree about elrond and celeborn sometimes it's nice to have a hero that can take on all commers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In my experience Rumil does a pretty good job of "taking on all comers." If he's supported and is within banner range, there's virtually no way to beat him in a fight outside of transfix. The only uber-hero I like at 500pts is Aragorn and that's only because he can heroic fight to kill 2 chumps a turn. Most other heroes can just be fed every turn.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@FIGWIT- Rumil does a scarily good job of taking on critters meant for combat at 500pts and under, however, I would think that you'd like Elendil for the same reason as Aragorn, and those terror-causing elves can be a pain to feed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree with you about rumil but what I meant was someone who has enough fate and wounds and attacks to be able to survive for a turn or two on his own, which rumil, as good as he is, sometimes can't do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agreed- Rumil is satisfactory with backup, but can falter on his own.