All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:12 am

Post subject: Re: Gildor Inglorion Options.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ElfGeneral wrote:
I think the FAQs will say Rivendell are allowed to take wood elves (they wouldn't actually be wood elves they would be exlies) as long as you take Gildor

Maybe the Wood Elf models should be seen more like the Rangers of Middle-Earth's elvish equivalent. All elven lists should have access to 'Wood Elves' with the same profiles but different names. In the same way that Rangers can be used by Gondor, Arnor and the Fiefdoms under different names (Blackroot Vale for example). Each type having different heroes which can affect them.

Rivendell should be given access to 'Wood Elves' called Noldorin Exiles or something similar and Gildor's special rule should apply specifically to Noldorin Exiles.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ElfGeneral wrote:
I think the FAQs will say Rivendell are allowed to take wood elves (they wouldn't actually be wood elves they would be exlies) as long as you take Gildor and then you might have to upgrade them as well meaning you can take wood elves to give you some more tactical options but they have a down side that they are more expensive and you have to take a specific hero...

Rhetoric question: would they be able to have wood elf spears and throwing daggers? How long do we have to wait to see GW's FAQ?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just came across this thread now.

Yes, Wood Elves make more sense as a "rangers of middle earth" basic elf option.

Why?

- There ARE wood elves at Rivendell. They are seen teasing Bilbo in the Hobbit (book). I'd imagine that Wood Elves - ie, Silvan Elves, ie Green Elves - can be found in every community of elves in Middle-earth. These elves are the drawers of water and the hewers of wood, serving Sindarin aristocracies and Noldorin lords. So, imagine Grey Havens "wood" Elves, Rivendell "wood" Elves, Lothlorian "wood" Elves.

- In the movie, the Gildor sequence is reduced to a glimpse of "wood elves" (as Sam calls them) departing into the West. But what we see of them are unarmoured Elves dressed in cloaks and robes. While I assume that Sam is misidentifying them, I'd say that there's likely a spiritual component to the idea of the "into the west" departure, beyond the mere Noldorin return from exile, Sindarin hear the siren call of the sea narrative. (The Wood Elves are meant to fade from this world, become the fairies of our legends. I assume, though, that some of the Green Elves might have the ability to hear the call, too.)

- One useful model of Tolkien lore for gaming is to consider the elves by time period and place. The Elves of Rivendell at the end of the Third Age. The Elves of Lindon at the height of the Second, and so forth. As a result, I'd say that an army of Rivendell Elves of the Third Age would have Noldorin captains, Sindarin elites and Silvan soldiers. Which means, yes, High Elves, "Galadhrim" and Wood Elves in the same army. Might need some clever juggling of allies rules, but its absolutely in-theme.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

aelfwine wrote:
- In the movie, the Gildor sequence is reduced to a glimpse of "wood elves" (as Sam calls them) departing into the West. But what we see of them are unarmoured Elves dressed in cloaks and robes. While I assume that Sam is misidentifying them, I'd say that there's likely a spiritual component to the idea of the "into the west" departure, beyond the mere Noldorin return from exile, Sindarin hear the siren call of the sea narrative.

Maybe, but IIRC, they wouldn't necessarily have been received in the west. As far as I understood it, the Noldor were allowed to return, but the Valar also realized that by inviting all the elves in the first place they had made a mistake, so I'm not sure there was an open invitation for any elf to go west.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Legolas got to go, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Noldor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:52 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Legolas was a special case, due to his actions during the war of the ring, and maybe even due to his exposure to it.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Legolas did not go to Valinor. He manned a ship with Gimli and was never seen again. This may well mean that they drowned. At least this is my interpretation.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:41 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

But what happens to all the 'wood' elves that remain in middle earth after the WOTR? Don't they all go into the west as well?

After the death of Aragorn, Arwen leaves Gondor to look for elves in Lorien but finds the place deserted and dies.. where did all those wood elves go after Celeborn and Galadriel(a noldor) left?

I think they went across the sea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Legolas left because he heard the calling of the sea, which it wouldn't be very fair to have any elf who hears the sea have a terrible longing to cross the sea, only to refuse passage to them. I'm pretty sure that both Legolas and Gimli got to the Undying Lands with Ginli being the special case, not Legolas.