All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 12:33 pm

Post subject: Newbie - Grey Company theme
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just wanted to say a big thank you fo the warm welcomes in the beginners thread, as well as the advice and suggestions from all who contributed to the post. Moving the next phase of my queries here as it gets a little more attention and want to be certain before I buy! Complete beginner, no models, no sourcebooks, no clue! So forgive me in advance.

As I am getting started, the general consensus of advice has been to pick the models and theme I like and build from there. I am a fan of the theme and models from the Grey Company option and although being advised that this won't be overly competative in a game situation, it is a start.

This is what I'm thinking (bear with any mistakes, I will post questions below!) for approx 500pts (although I haven't a clue what the tot up of below is so help appreciated!)

w1 - Halbarad, 12 RoA (6spears)
w2 - RoN (horse, spear)
w3 - RoN (horse, spear)
w4 - RoN (horse, spear)
w5 - RoN (horse, spear)
w6 - RoN, 12 RoA (6 spears)
w7 - RoN (horse, spear)
w8 - RoN (horse, spear)
w9 - RoN (horse, spear)

1) As an independent model, can a RoN lead 12 RoA in a warband?
2) If not, what is my best cheap option to fit in 500pts?
3) How is Halbarad as a hero?
4) I've only put half RoA with spears as assuming they are second rank. Is it worth having all Rangers with spears?
5) I'm aware there are no mounted RoN models but would be keen to convert to mount. Is this worth it?
6) I'm right in saying a 1:4 RoN:RoA ratio is required to squish the 33% bow limit and have an all firing force.
7) What does the above come to in points?! Am I in and if not, what should I do to adjust??

Again, thanks all for your help and support! You have a cracking forum here :)

edit: have just read on the forum that RoN can no longer lead warbands so excuse question 1)... question 2 becomes even more relevant!

Would a captain of Arnor be cheapest option? Maybe convert to make him a nice model!?

Post subject: Re: Newbie - Grey Company theme
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thermo wrote:
Would a captain of Arnor be cheapest option? Maybe convert to make him a nice model!?

Thematically, Grey Company was the remnant of Arnor and there were no Arnor Captains left. We all wish GW would produce a generic Ranger Captain, but...

If you care about theme, your only real other option is Arathorn or the Twins. I'd take Arathorn, which should give you almost two full warbands with 6 RotN.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you are low on points, you can always drop the spears off the mtd RoN. Spears are wasted on mounted models unless they cant as lances. I second Arathorn, I have had him take down 2 uruk captains before in a heroic combat.

Also because RoN are independant heroes, they cannot lead rangers of arnor (which is stupid imo but hey ).

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks fellas, again, I appreciate the advice. Already looking into the models I need.

Any idea what this would come to points wise?