All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:23 am

Post subject: Re: Considering getting into LOTR SBG
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Seerex, and welcome to the hobby.

Don't know if this helps, but here is my own personal experience. I started as a complete noob about five months ago. The GW store tried to sell me the MOM box but as it didn't come with paints or brushes and I didn't know whether I'd stick with the hobby or know anything about playing the game, I went with the starter set - this was 12 goblins + brush + 8 paints. I notice that the 'hobbit' version of this has just 5 models and costs more which is a bit pants.

Anyway, second month I invested in MOM starter set which gave loads more goblins and a troll plus the fellowship. Crucially I got the mini-rulebook too.

Month 3 I bought the 'citadel hobby starter set' that gave me another brush, more paints, some glue and some handy clippers (can't stress how useful these are). Plus I bought some loose paints and a spray can of primer.

Since then I've decided to expand my MOM set into my first two proper armies - a moria army and a dwarf army. So now I've got some heroes both armies, a couple of giant spiders, and an old box of 24 dwarfs off ebay. Also a couple of the LOTR sourcebooks.

In summary, my first few months were a compromise between investing in models and investing in paints/tools/brushes. My monthly spend has now stabilised at something more affordable and I can get on with painting up my backlog of minis.

Despite all the hype I've decided to leave the hobbit boxset until after christmas, when finances will be better. In the meantime I've got enough to be getting on with building my LOTR armies, plus a scenery project I'm working on, etc. In other words, although hobbit is the new best thing that everybody is (understandably) very excited about (and admittedly the rulebook will reflect the latest rule tweaks), if you were originally attracted by the wider Tolkien universe and the idea of modelling all sorts of scenarios including some that aren't in the films (eg last alliance, battle of bywater, Balin trying to retake moria, etc) and if you see any MOM sets going on ebay, then I would suggest still considering going down that route. I'm not sure yet how the models from the new Hobbit boxset will fit thematically with the rest, so if you're set on building a Gondor or Rohan army, then the new boxset may not be of much use.

If you want cutting edge rules and latest models plus lots of support from White Dwarf magazine and/or money isn't a deciding factor, then knock youself out with £447-worth of spanking new hobbit models to choose from. Don't forget that the latest rulebook might be redundant in a year's time anyway as GW will keep tweaking it, or at least will bring out extra sourcebooks/codexes.

My final advice would be to strike a balance between picking up stuff off ebay and small independent suppliers (eg our resident supplier at http://www.greendragongames.co.uk), and going to speak with the staff in a GW store. It was a bit intimidating at first going into a store, and they will try to flog you all sorts of stuff you won't need right away, but I've found them also full of knowledge and advice and offer free painting sessions. Going there for all your supplies will seriously drain your wallet, but don't discount them totally. Afterall, the exorbitant prices for their physical product is what pays for them to run those high-street hobby centres, so why not pop in for advice or just some inspiration from the window display?

Well that's my advice as a fellow noob. I'm sure lots of others will disagree and they all have loads more experience than me.

Whatever path you choose I think you're going to have an awesome time so take the plunge and get stuck in.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:14 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

elliodoc

Thanks a lot for that piece of advice. I have actually decided to wait for the release of the hobbits, and get that set. I pre-ordered it at my local hobby shop, and even though it is delayed for him (will be there next week hopefully) i wanted to buy it there to support him.

I would love to get the dwarves, and relieve the moments i read about in the Hobbit book. I read the book when i was only 9 years old and it really sticks in my brain, so i'm going with that.

Also, it gives me the new rulebook and i think its a good starting point. From there i will see where to go, i'm hoping the rulebook and maybe this forum can give some good pointers at that time :)

So my plan at the moment: Wait to get the starter set of the hobbit, then buy some paints and see where it takes me. I might make a new thread when i get into it to let you know how i'm doing, and maybe ask for some "whats next" advice when the rulebook is released and people had a look at what kind of units you can use together. ;)

I thank you all for taking the time to reply and help me out, and i am hoping i will get to know some of you through my time here.

Here is a Gandalf, as a token of my gratitude :gandalf:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hope you didn't end up waiting on The Hobbit box to be your entry to the broader game... as the lack of points/complete profiles makes this a pretty crappy starter box.

Oh well... they've got my $125 already, but now I need to do some serious thinking before spending another $85 on the hardcover rules. I don't know how much and how deeply I want to delve in a hobby run by such unscrupulous individuals.

Good job GW. Scare me back to WarMachine and cost yourselves the $1000 or so usd I had budgeted for LotR in the coming year.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Neomaxim wrote:
Hope you didn't end up waiting on The Hobbit box to be your entry to the broader game... as the lack of points/complete profiles makes this a pretty crappy starter box.

Oh well... they've got my $125 already, but now I need to do some serious thinking before spending another $85 on the hardcover rules. I don't know how much and how deeply I want to delve in a hobby run by such unscrupulous individuals.

Good job GW. Scare me back to WarMachine and cost yourselves the $1000 or so usd I had budgeted for LotR in the coming year.

Yes this is a crappy box set. Well you now have a rule set, nest you could pick up one or more of the Supplements like The Free Peoples or Moria and Angmar to get the army profiles and points. They are still the best books to by at this point and at $28 much cheaper. I recommend buying a non GW paint set and some brushes.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A couple place where you can check out some great painting tips,

Awesome Paint job http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob and girl painting http://www.youtube.com/user/girlpainting

Watch through some of there video's and that will help you get started on that painting and learning some of the techniques. Girlpainting does more obtainable but great brush work so I would start there.

On another note, I am quite happy with the starter set. I bought it to paint, and to play around the house with my kids and hopefully get my wife a little involved, and I think it will do that quite nicely. Don't get too worked up on large army plans yet, wait until you find out if you really like to paint and play. (and what style you enjoy)

I originally thought that I was going to love 40k and as it turned out, not so much (painting or playing). I do love both painting and playing Fantasy though, and am equally excited about getting into LoTR (or hobbit if you will).

Welcome to the hobby and have fun :D
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yeah i heard the starter set is lacking the points, but i am not too worried about that as a completely new player. What i want, is a set that can enable me and another person to play and get involved with the game, and start painting, and this set does exactly that. If i really enjoy it, i will invest in further books and figures and see where it goes from there.

So all in all, im happy with my decision and hope i'll have a lot of fun with it. If i enjoy it and want to expand, it might mean i have to buy the new rulebook but so be it then :)

This set will get me starter

And thanks for the painting tips :)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
The new goblins look fantastic, the casting is much better and I think you'll have a lot of fun painting them. The best bit about this hobby is if you want to paint them green, do it! They're your models, you do what you may with them and people will still love to play against you.

There isn't really a lot I can add to this post that hasn't already said other than welcome aboard and enjoy that unboxing feeling, when you get your models, clip them and glue them for the first time. Then theres the first dice roll and playing through the scenarios in the getting started booklet, ah - a wonderful experience no doubt! :) Many years of happy gaming are wished upon you =D

- Model Painting Service also available.