All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:16 pm

Post subject: Expanding the Escape from Goblin Town set?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've never played any of the Lord of the Rings games before and I'll be getting the Escape from Goblin Town set for Christmas.

Anyway, onto the questions.
Can I take the models from the set and expand them into forces?
If so, how does that work?

Also, if anyone already has the set, is there much gameplay in it? If I understand correctly, the box is supposed to be sufficient for a few scenarios.

Anyway, cheers in advance. Hope I've jumped in at the right time. The Lord of the Rings sections on the forums I normally go to seem a bit dead but luckily I found this place. :)
 Post subject: Re: Expanding the Escape from Goblin Town set?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Welcome to ONe Ring, and welcome to the hobby.

Yes, you can the Goblins are in the Goblin town Army list, which you can expnad with additional goblins, and the others except (Gandalf and) Radagast are in the Thorin's Company army.

The hardback Hobbit Rulebook has the full army lists for the Hibbit minis, or alternatively take apeak in Gw. The 5 Warbands sourcebooks; Kingdoms of Men, Free Peoples, Mordor, fallen Realms, Moria & Angmar; will give you all the profile for the LotR models.

Simply pick which models you like, and begin. All good armies can ally with all other good armies and all evil armis can ally with all other evil armies. Each hero can lead 12 warriors from the same list except independant heroes.

Enjoy your time here, and feel freeto ask more questions, most people on here you'll find are very helpful. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Welcome to ONe Ring, and welcome to the hobby.

Yes, you can the Goblins are in the Goblin town Army list, which you can expnad with additional goblins, and the others except (Gandalf and) Radagast are in the Thorin's Company army.

The hardback Hobbit Rulebook has the full army lists for the Hibbit minis, or alternatively take apeak in Gw. The 5 Warbands sourcebooks; Kingdoms of Men, Free Peoples, Mordor, fallen Realms, Moria & Angmar; will give you all the profile for the LotR models.

Simply pick which models you like, and begin. All good armies can ally with all other good armies and all evil armis can ally with all other evil armies. Each hero can lead 12 warriors from the same list except independant heroes.

Enjoy your time here, and feel freeto ask more questions, most people on here you'll find are very helpful. 8)

Your spelling is abysmal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for your reply, Gothmog. :) I'm not new to the hobby, though. I've been collecting miniatures on and off for ten years or so.

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:

Are more Goblins the only thing you can add to the Goblin Town list? That's quite boring. :(
I guess I can pick up the Hero model, though.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

For now there's only the Misty Mountain Goblins as troops, but since the Scribe is a hero, it may not be a bad idea to seek out another one on Ebay; it's probably one of the best cheap heroes for Misty Mountains (I haven't looked at the stats yet, but that's what I've seen in the discussions so far).

If you want to expand right now, you'll have to expand by adding an allied force... but that's not necessarily a bad idea anyway. It is still quite thematic to ally in some Moria forces, and this would give you access to underground monsters (wild wargs, spiders, bats) and Cave Trolls. Trolls I think are going to be pretty important in the new rules (well, having a monster or two in general will be), and since you can only include one Goblin King, having a troll or two would supplement your goblin horde well. I don't know if a Moria Shaman's Fury spell would affect Misty Mountain Goblins, but if that works then you should *definitely* ally a couple of those guys in. They're stellar in a goblins list.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The only restriction on Fury is that the models have to be the same race as the caster. Since they're both goblins, Fury works on them, which will be amazing on the Goblin Scribe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Yes, I agree with Draugliun mix a Moria Goblin Shaman and put it next to the scribe.

AS I said the only 'Warriors' in the Goblin towm list are goblins, but that doesn't mean you can't ally, there are 9 army lists on the evil side.

I recommend some sorts of beasts to keep you more interested, and since the Great goblin is your only monster (you should definately use him) you might want to ally in either a cave Troll or 2, or if you want a few Spiders, whynot a Spider Queen. I'm alsi a fan of allying a Cave drake with them, but you might not want to fork out for one of those.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That sounds really cool. I'm getting ahead of myself but still, I love the collecting side of things. :)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Welcome to the forum :) There are plenty of small bits on eBay as above poster mentioned. Expansion wise, the natural thing to do would be to get another goblin town walkway as a playing surface and look into Fimbul and the Hunter Orcs on Wargs.

Or, as others have covered, you can expand in a totally different direction and go for a Moria and Angmar force, Goblin Town warriors, a dweller in the dark, trolls or a Cave Drake!? The world is your oyster (the middle earth world at least...) but I find the new rulebook very helpful in explaining warbands and how best to piece together an army.

- Model Painting Service also available.