Post subject: 1000 points arnor army help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Okay, so i'm a noobie to the lotr sbg,
I know the arnor army is basically an army of rangers,
My hopeful 1000pt army list;
Aragon-strider on horseback
the grey company all with bows (hear it doesn't effect the 33% bow thingy) on horseback
14 warriors of arnor on horseback
Malberth the seer (horseback)
i want to use the old radagast the brown (horseback)

The rest of the points i was hoping to use on a bunch of dunedain, to ambush my foes with, (would be good if i could have them all with bows)

I have a 1000pt limit here, and i can customise well enough, :merry:
any advice and pt help as well as the rules etc what i can do and other would be appreciated
 Post subject: Re: 1000 points arnor army help
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:05 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Malbeth and the warriors of Arnor cannot be mounted.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

to have all bows you'll need 1 dunidain for every 4 rangers of arnor, hence the army will need to be built around blocks of Hero+12rangers+3dunidain. With malbeth and aragon that will get you 24 rangers and 6 dunidain to ignor the bow limit. Then you'll need to take a captain of arnor to get the 12 warriors of arnor.

AND as SouthernDunedain said you can't put those guys on horses.

My recommendation would be to look through the kingdoms of men rule book and find some rules that suit the theme you're trying to build and then do some conversions and count as. For arnor you could go minas trith to match equipment for the same points or dolamroth to match the same base stats, albeit with a courage bump.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you both,

The set up suggested would work really well for my strategy although the tactic would not work without cavalry, :shock:

W1 (all on horseback like the general of RTW)
Halbarad
5 rangers of the north

W2, W3 & W4
Dunedain
4 rangers of the north (including spears for cavalry)

W5 (all on horseback)
captain of arnor
5 warriors of arnor

W6 (all on horseback)
Radagast the brown
5 warriors of arnor

Use W2,W3,W4 to ambush the enemy taking out troops on the left flank and troops at the back, aswell as the middle of their army

Use W6 to attack on the right flank (just enough to make a front on the enemys left flank but not enough to power on through) Supported by W4 who shoot just to the left so they can't encircle W6

Use W1 to go on the right flank and encircle

Use W5 as support troops (cavalry allows them to get further on the board as well as charges which could be useful in dire situations)

Use w3,4 and 2 to engage in the rest of the army :twisted:

Without cavalry i won't be able to hold against great beasts and they won't have the speed that i want

I suppose the fiefdoms would be a good choice to use this tactic, but i like the look of the rangers too much :rofl: (the idea of dunedain on horseback) :-D :aragorn:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'll say it again. Warriors of Arnor cannot be mounted on horses. And looking through the KoM book, neither can the captains.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RangerintheCorner wrote:
The set up suggested would work really well for my strategy although the tactic would not work without cavalry, :shock:

Since you stated in the OP you're new to SBG, I think you need to spend some time at a smaller scale and learn the game first. Start with 250 points, or some simple scenarios, work up to 500, and then think about launching something big.

Also, you seem to be over-estimating the effectiveness of cavalry. Few people take an all-cavalry army because they're hard to use, and Rohan is the most frequently taken of those, more for theme than effectiveness. (Some people know what they're doing with all-cav, but I certainly don't...I get crushed :) )

Never mind that the only models in Arnor that can be mounted are Rangers of the North...

edit: one other point is that your strategy of "warband A does this and warband B does that" is kind of premature. It's good to have a plan 8) but you'll find that the 6 generic scenarios will require more ways of thinking. For example, for Domination your strategy simply wouldn't be applicable.

So you'll need to rethink your army structure, maybe decide if it's really cavalry you want (in which case, take another look at Rohan), or Arnor and Rangers (in which case you'll be most infantry).
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well i'm going to have to stick with the arnor, i love the theme too much
I did hear something about sticking a shield on a unit would upgrade their stats but would cost more points,
Like adding a spear to a ranger of the north costs 1 point,

Could I customise the warrior or arnor with the ranger of the north (just because they would look sweet)
Say they were rangers of the north (stats the same), however, given them heavy armour so they would cost more points (upgrade defense maybe courage)?
Kind of like making my own unit...?

To be honest i'm already in uncharted waters...seeing as i'm waiting for my KoM book in the post,
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds like you're in the same position as me... best waiting until you get the Kingdoms book and start from there as from what I can gather, only certain units are entitled to certain wargear and upgrades and you're playing blinds mans buff trying to guess!

There are some great threads across this forum though for building your knowledge. I have never ever played this game, I have only recently bought my first models (Arnor too) and only know what I know because of some of the great advice the guys on this forum have repeated in other threads (because ultimately, us newbies tend to ask the same kind of questions!)

A big thanks for one-ringers for your patience!

I too like the Arnor theme, particularly Grey Company. Apparently not the most effective of choices any more but I like the models and theme so will press on! My first Grey Company Warband (500pts) will looks something along the lines of this (although will refine in line with points costs when I receive the KoM sourcebook from Green Dragon Games)

Warband 1
Halbarad
6 Rangers of Arnor
6 Rangers of Arnor (6 spears)

Warband 2
Arathorn
6 Rangers of Arnor
6 Rangers of Arnor (6 spears)

Warband 3
Ranger of the North

Warband 4
Ranger of the North

Warband 5
Ranger of the North

Warband 6
Ranger of the North

I'm thinking of mounting the RoN but need to check points etc, particularly regarding upgrades, just to give a little more movement (although cavalry appears to be quite soft in this game) and perhaps when I'm more into the hobby, convert some Gondorians to represent Arnor (as I don't really like the metal models)

Until that day, my plan is to build one 500pts force at a time, starting with grey company, moving then to rohan, dwarves, elves so I have options abd the ability to ally in for bigger points games.

Good luck pal and let us know how you get on!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
Also, you seem to be over-estimating the effectiveness of cavalry. Few people take an all-cavalry army because they're hard to use, and Rohan is the most frequently taken of those, more for theme than effectiveness. (Some people know what they're doing with all-cav, but I certainly don't...I get crushed :) )

I think we need these guys to fire a "how to play all cav" guide for the rest of us! I'd love to do an all mounted rohan for theme after I've completed and painted the Grey Company and had a few games with them :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

RangerintheCorner wrote:
Say they were rangers of the north (stats the same), however, given them heavy armour so they would cost more points (upgrade defense maybe courage)?
Kind of like making my own unit...?

You're free to do what you want in home games of course, but normally you can't do any of that. Profiles contain limited wargear options, mostly for theme (I can't see Rangers doing much sneaking in the woods in heavy armour), but also for game balance. When you houserule a profile, you're tinkering with balance. And usually you can't upgrade stats, though there are some warriors that can be upgraded for points, and some heroes can upgrade warriors under them, but the upgrades are very specific.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

No, i can't either thats why they got promoted to the commanders bodyguards,
My vision was to have remaining forces of arnor (because arnor is in ruin) to support their last hope of retriving their lands-aragon, so they would be bringing out their dads old armour etc for most likely their final battle at pelinor fields, so its an army on the march led by malberth,
I was going to stick baggage etc onto their horses

Is there any way that it could possibly become in the balance of the force?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RangerintheCorner wrote:
No, i can't either thats why they got promoted to the commanders bodyguards,
My vision was to have remaining forces of arnor (because arnor is in ruin) to support their last hope of retriving their lands-aragon, so they would be bringing out their dads old armour etc for most likely their final battle at pelinor fields, so its an army on the march led by malberth,
I was going to stick baggage etc onto their horses

Is there any way that it could possibly become in the balance of the force?

I think what whafrog is saying is that if you want to play at home, you can make up whatever rules you want but that they are there for a reason. Best wait for your Kingdoms of Men book to see what options you have that are within the rules. Some troops can upgrade wargear and some can't.

From a thematic point of view, Malbeth was not alive at the same time as Aragorn (just a pedant point) but good luck with your vision. You could certainly mount up your Ranger's of the North models if you wanted cavalry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Got my KoM book today, Very handy tool...
So for an 1000 points army could i end up just going with 40 dunedain?
And for a fiefdoms contingent,i take it i need a hero for that warband?
Would it be possible to customise knights of dol amroth with warriors of arnor -so i end up with something like the fiefdoms of arnor-
Or does it have to obvious that they are knights of dol amroth (sure the horse gives it away anyway)
I was thinking of getting six warriors of arnor, putting their bodies and arms on the knights of dol amroth, sticking on the arnor shield, giving them capes, but keeping the helmet on, obviously weapons & stats stay the same,

Not really sure how to take down a mumakil with arnor... that's why fiefdoms cavalry will be needed,
me and my friend will be playing against each other believe he has 68 haradrim & easterlings and a mumakil, I'm not spending until i know what to get,

In the mean time we will play small games 250pts 500pts etc
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

RangerintheCorner wrote:
Got my KoM book today, Very handy tool...
So for an 1000 points army could i end up just going with 40 dunedain?
And for a fiefdoms contingent,i take it i need a hero for that warband?
Would it be possible to customise knights of dol amroth with warriors of arnor -so i end up with something like the fiefdoms of arnor-
Or does it have to obvious that they are knights of dol amroth (sure the horse gives it away anyway)
I was thinking of getting six warriors of arnor, putting their bodies and arms on the knights of dol amroth, sticking on the arnor shield, giving them capes, but keeping the helmet on, obviously weapons & stats stay the same,

Not really sure how to take down a mumakil with arnor... that's why fiefdoms cavalry will be needed,
me and my friend will be playing against each other believe he has 68 haradrim & easterlings and a mumakil, I'm not spending until i know what to get,

In the mean time we will play small games 250pts 500pts etc

Okay, what your asking about it house ruling. Remember you can do anything you want as long as your opponent agrees to the changes. The Official rules won't allow them but as long as you don't wish to do anything like tournaments there is nothing wrong with proxies and conversions to create arnor equivalents of existing forces.

So what you may need to do is sit down with your friends and iron out the details. Will they allow you to build your own custom army, is it okay if I use these stats? By using point cost and stat lines of other existing units you can normally ally with you don't have to worry to much about unbalancing as it would be similar to the effect of allied contingents.

If anyone with more experience seeing anything wrong with what I've said please correct me.

Edit: To ally in yes you need a hero from that faction to lead their troops so for Dol Amroth you would need for example Imrihil.

For the concept of Fiefdoms, Arnor broke up into 3 Kingdoms not long after the Death of Isildur, those being Rhudaur, Cardolan, and Arthadain. 3 named places in the book for Arnor are Amon Sul, Annuminas (which pretty much became unpopulated from what I remember after the war of the Last Alliance) and Fornost.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I can do that...
but what i meant was customizing the knights of dol amroth to look like they were from arnor, however they would be in the fiefdoms contingent, Or do they have to be un-mistakenly the knights of dol amroth,

e.g taking Rohan riders and customising them to look like wildmen of dunland on horseback, but still calling them rohirim riders and sticking the rohan riders in a different contingent to the wildmen of dunland

so for mine it would be
Fiefdoms contingent,
forlong the fat (horse)
12 knights of dol amroth (made to look like warriors of arnor on horseback)

Or is this not allowed for tournaments etc...?

Arnor contingent,
halabard
etc...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

As long as it is clear that the 'Dol Amroth' are a allied contingent and your army list says Knights of Dol Amroth then you should be fine. No fiddling with the stats though. And make sure you use the Dol Amroth knights as the base models.

Quote:
e.g taking Rohan riders and customising them to look like wildmen of dunland on horseback, but still calling them rohirim riders and sticking the rohan riders in a different contingent to the wildmen of dunland

:no: Cant do this as you cannot ally good with evil.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well thank you all so much, you have been a great help and it has all been appreciated 8) -as of my army list for 1000pts it will be as follows;

Contingent 1; Arnor
W1
Halbarad (135)
6 ranger of the north (192)
327pts

W2,W3,W4,
Dunedain (25)
4 rangers of arnor (32)

114pts (57)

W5,W6,
Dunedain (25)
4 rangers of arnor w spear (36)

183pts (61)

627pts for total contingent

Contingent 2; fiefdoms
W7;
Forlong the fat (70pts)
11 knights of dol amroth (customised to look like warriors of arnor) (30)
1 knight with banner (55)

368pts

:-D yay for bypassing the rules :D
Thoughts?
How would arnor usually take out a mumakil?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:56 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Looks good. Couple of things. No points values and the Rangers of the North and Dunedain count as Independant heroes therefore cannot be in or lead a warband. So it should look like:

W1
Halbarad
12 RoA

W2,3,4,5,6,7
ranger of the north

W8,W9,W10
Dunedain

W5,W6,
Arnor Captain, Arathorn, Avedui etc.
8 rangers of arnor w spear

This is what grey company/ Arnor arnt as strong as people think. You have to take expensive heroes to lead the rangers that the RoN/ Dunedain allow you to take.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Adding a captain, that would be a little too much...i only have 5 points left over,
if i just swapped them for another 3 dunedain...is that worth or would it be better getting 1 cpt of arnor (shield) with 3 warriors of arnor?