All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thorongil? - New Aragorn model!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, according to the movies, Frodo left the Shire about the same year that Bilbo did (maybe a single year difference, based on the lack of any detail), and Aragorn says explicitly in the extended edition that he's not only 87, but also served under Thengel. Now, since there is a 60 years difference between the Unexpected Journey and the Bilbo's party, and no difference between Bilbo's party and Frodo leaving, that would make Aragorn 27 in the Hobbit movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No idea who Thengel and Thorogil are (I'm assuming people, hahaha), but the thing I noticed (as has Ste) is that he's holding what appears to be Theoden's sword. Would that be another clue as to who it is?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
No idea who Thengel and Thorogil are (I'm assuming people, hahaha), but the thing I noticed (as has Ste) is that he's holding what appears to be Theoden's sword. Would that be another clue as to who it is?

Thengel is the father of Theoden, Thorogil was an alias used by Aragorn while he was aiding Rohan when he was younger.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

He's just borrowing it. ;)

I really do like the miniature- very cool- yet another reason to continue to watch the Hobbit releases. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This might say alot of what will happen in (i'm guessing) the third film.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If it has theodens sword, is it more likely to just be a one off conversion?

If it isn't, when do you think it will be released?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Would the fact that Aragorn's exploits with Thengel were mentioned in the extended edition of TTT mean that GW had a licence to make this mini all along?

(Assuming it's legit)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:19 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For the uninitiated: Thorongil -
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/t/thorongil.html
And Thengel -
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/t/thengel.html
The minis look ok to me, but as I have said before, GW's resins are far too expensive especially given their dubious quality control necessitating much to an for for replacements. That is unacceptable to me.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I know I am crushing spirits here but this is probably a model not intended for release. Warhammer world and games day often show off models that new modelers for GW have made, as part of their initiation. Every year you see new 40k sculpts and models at games day but quite a lot if not most are not intended for release.

Besides we know they do not and can not leak things like Aragorn showing up in the movies so they wouldn't do this if it was true. If they do intend to release just for kicks though it'd be cool, but I don't think I have ever seen GW announce models like this- only forge world does.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow what about that blurry model in front of the mounted version?, I've never seen it before and I like that one the most.

I'd rather have Aragorn join Rohan in his Helm's Deep outfit then looking too much like some Rohan dude.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:36 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Perhaps a collector's item? :) The sculpt is decent, not great, but not bad either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Bartelomeus wrote:
Wow what about that blurry model in front of the mounted version?, I've never seen it before and I like that one the most.

That's the Defenders of Rohan Aragorn I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bartelomeus wrote:

I'd rather have Aragorn join Rohan in his Helm's Deep outfit then looking too much like some Rohan dude.

It's an Aragorn model from the Defenders of Rohan boxed set which was released at the time of the Two Towers Journey Book. It's pretty rare since it was only released in that boxed set and was removed from production fairly soon after release.
I've found this old link from the GW site (but you can't order it anymore).
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1060264
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Amarthadan wrote:
Perhaps a collector's item? :) The sculpt is decent, not great, but not bad either.

I thought the sculpt looked very good, the paintjob: not so great. Perhaps just a prototype :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would imagine this is an unreleased model. My guess is that if it was going to be released, it won't be for a while and it certainly won't be part of the Hobbit releases.

I'd also say it is not featured in any of the films.

I love the model though, very different, very interesting and perhaps it will come out some day in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice model even though the likeness isn't great. Would be a good base for some other character too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was so annoyed with this... My friends were claiming rohan was finally getting a decent hero and i got all worked up... only to find out that the awesome hero is Aragorn... FFS. I was never THAT taken with Aragorn in the books, but I hate the movie version. He's THE DUDE in the movie... in the books his inner conflict is much more pronounced... In particular it is theoden who puts some fire in Aragorn, not the other way around... If they ever come out with an Aragorn ruleset for Rohan I will use his rules to represent a worthwhile Theoden as I find the current rule set for him nothing short of an insult to what he should have been...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like The Model. At the end of the day It's the only sculpt of Aragorn I've liked enough to consider returning him to my army.

As to where he came from, my money is on an abandoned supplement :P

As far as we know there's no mention of Aragorn, Rohan or gondor in the Hobbit that could give enough to add this in. It's possible they weave him in through the rangers but you'd have thought it would have been in An Unexpected Journey.

Possibly they do it through the same method as Legolas, where un-named background character is actually someone we know. That could be cool.

And if they do have Mortensen its news to everyone because even his IMDB has no hint of a Hobbit mention.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i just gave warhammer world a ring to ask if they knew anything, the first two answers were it was the defenders of rohan and warg attack aragorn, to which i said no its a pose ive never seen and his reply was its probably just a conversion.
so unfortunately i dont think it'll be released, he didnt sound like he knew what i was talking about though so if anyones planning a trip there could ask whilst there they may get a more definative answer!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The timeline of the three Hobbit films is no where close to what would be needed for the hunting and capture of Gollum so I really hope they don't try to pull that in. However, I could see that they may have a younger (non-Vigo) Aragorn encountered, though the Rohan garb throws me. Rohan is no where near the route taken by the Company and I can think of no reason for Aragon, dressed like a Rider of Rohan, to be that far north. So unless it's a side story that is tied more to the Necromancer / Dol Guldur or some unrelated side tale I can't see how they'd bring a young Aragorn into the films.

Of course, I also wouldn't have expected PJ to make such an error as referencing the Witch King's body being entombed. Yikes!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next