All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:23 am

Post subject: New isengard/moria army
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys I am a complete noob to this whole thing and I was wandering if any one could offer any advice
So throught the last couple of weeks /months ive been picking up some lotr models and now am looking to get into the gaming side of it. I have no fighting uruk hai with shields, 20 uruk hai with pikes, 8 goblin archers, 8 goblins with swords and spears and 8 gobling spearman. So I was just wandering if any one could tell me what to do from here or what models to buy to play with the warband rules that i've heard of.
Any help that any one could offer would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
 Post subject: Re: New isengard/moria army
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My first advice would be the Hobbit Rulebook, read it cover to cover, it is both very interesting and also will teach you the basics of the games and thus you will then discover the types of units you will need next e.g heroes / captains and definitely some uruks with shields...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry meant to say 20 uruks with shields and I do have the Return of the King journeybook from I while ago but I guess thats now useless
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not useless, the very basics will be similar but despite the high cost Hobbit Rulebook is definitely worth the purchase, i recommend going to GreenDragonGames (other stockists are available), he is cheaper than GW and his customer service is outstanding...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Does the new Hobbit rulebook replace the LOTR 'One Rulebook to rule them all' rules? Like a new edition of Warhammer/Warhammer 40K? I like the look of the old rules and figures more, is all. I'm very new to this hobby, like connorolewio.

P.S - My army so far is:

- 7 Uruk Hai Scouts (Various weapons, no bows)
- 10 Uruk Hai Warriors with Pikes
- 5 Uruk Hai Warriors with Swords / Shields
- Uruk Hai Captain
- Saruman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

connorolewio wrote:
Sorry meant to say 20 uruks with shields and I do have the Return of the King journeybook from I while ago but I guess thats now useless

The journey book has no rules in it, just scenarios and profiles and hobby tips. If you mean the very old rules, the basic turn sequences will be the same, as well as shooting and fight resolution, but some war gear and profiles will be different.

You'll need the new sourcebooks for Fallen Realms (Isengard), and Moria and Angmar. Looks like you could make a quick army for both with just a few captains. For Isengard, a Command blister gets you a captain and a shaman, and you might want to add Vrasku and some xbows. For Moria, Durburz and a Shaman are all you need for those 24 goblins, but that's just a start. Use them as allies until you decide how you want to flesh it out.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Does the new Hobbit rulebook replace the LOTR 'One Rulebook to rule them all' rules? Like a new edition of Warhammer/Warhammer 40K?

Yes it does. Afterwards, depending on your army of choice you will need the appropriate sourcebook (aka Codex/armybook).