All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit Feb releases
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Got to be honest Kingondher, I think you are right in your statement. It pains me to say it as I am a completist with all the models and Tolkien obsessed for 35 years, but The Hobbit was not the "quality" of any of the 3 Ring films, imo.just hoping it will watch better on blu-ray and the next 2 will be better.

Just editing this to say I am sorry for going off topic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I heard a rumor that some pictures of some of the February White Dwarf (Chaos release of some kind) were circulating. There may be some photos of Hobbit release in the corners of some of these pictures. I haven't found them yet though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I saw that photo, and in the upper right hand corner you could just make out the Hobbit releases. Couldn't really make out what they were, but we already know that anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

yes fantasy chaos warriors will be the main release :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Again, I am not allowed to say anything but all will be revealed Friday night at 23:45 - 23:59 ish GMT over at www.greendragongames.co.uk when the pre-orders section and the new home page are updated with some exciting new releases :)

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Except most us do know roughly what will be released, surprises don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He's still not allowed to say anything. Besides which, we don't know the prices or the details. The Grimhammers, for example, have been rumoured to be a 9-man box while others have claimed they are the standard 12.

I'm more interested in what else is coming out in the months beyond February. It would kind of suck if we got a release each month for three in a row, then nothing until Desolation of Smaug comes out.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, we still need Thror, Thrain, Azog, the finecast Company and probably a lot of finecast rereleases. Hopefully with a sourcebook thrown in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Theres no need for a sourcebook right now, we have stats for models we don't even have yet. What could possibly go in it???
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It would be for the people out there, like myself, who got the starter set. It would have all the rules that are in the big rulebook and would hopefully also include all the scenarios.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
yes fantasy chaos warriors will be the main release :)

Again, weren't Chaos Warriors the main release a couple of months ago? (I am not questioning your info, I just want to see another army get new units, although I don't play Fantasy I like to browse through the units....)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

King Ondeher wrote:
It seems to me that PJ and co. made some huge last minute changes without thinking them through, and ended up with an awful mess of a film.

I have heard many grumblings like this online, and would like to make a few points perhaps to explain:

- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy was 3 Books, 3 cohesive plots, with 3 separate starting and ending points for each. New Line Cinema decided at the corporate level that they wanted to replicate the financial success of LOTR, so they made the decision ultimately to go with 3 Hobbit movies. This is the ultimate constraint that Peter Jackson, Del Toro, and Co. had to work with.

- The Hobbit is one book, and does not come with 3 separate acts to make a convenient 3-part story.

- Any good director breaks down the "Story-telling 101" basics when tackling a project like this. A big problem with the 3-part Hobbit trilogy is that there is no way to look at the first third of the book and include a plot-relevant, provoking antagonist, or what is often referred to as "the heel". The Goblin King has no long-term motivations or impact on the story, he shows up in a chance encounter. You also don't want to show too much of Smaug to lose suspense over the 2nd movie when he first appears. So PJ, given the confines of his situation (being asked to do 3 movies), decided to take a few creatives liberties with Tolkien lore to create one - Azog - and give him a meaningful, direct, connection with one of the leading protagonists. I would not be surprised if Azog replaces Bolg entirely.

- Without a good "heel", curb appeal for a movie would go down the drain amongst 90% of moviegoers, ticket sales and reviews would suffer, and the whole series would begin on poor expectations among the vast majority of audiences - who are not very passionate Tolkien fans like yourself and care nothing for indelible accuracy in the film rendition of the book.

- Similarly, Games Workshop was likely kept completely in the dark on this plot change by the fim team. This would be to prevent leaks of the changes to get out and for hard-core enthusiasts like yourself to bash the film on the internet prior to release without giving it a chance. This would also hurt the movie before it began. Film teams are (contrary to what you might believe), very conscious of core fans of a genre, and go to great lengths to appease this core group while also creating something that is appealing to the majority.

- Without appealling to the majority, you and I don't get to enjoy films like The Hobbit or the LORT trilogy on film with the large, $200M budgets. We instead get animated films and Russian slapstick efforts. We as fans should have the patience to grant a few creative liberties to the director in order to take our beloved books mainstream.

- As far as not including Thrain, etc.. I suspect it had something to do with not having enough time on screen and again, not confusing the average movie-goer. You and I know Thrain's history, but the 3 hour movie didn't even have enough time to properly introduce all the 13 Dwarves, let alone historical figures with no direct impact on the plot.

While you of course can argue with any decision PJ and Co. made, when I evaluate probable rationales I see a lot of logic and careful decision making on their part, and that should be appreciated. I think for having to make a full-blown feature film out of the first third of a novel (which is very difficult since move novels, like The Hobbit, build up to 1 or 2 climaxes which are always in the last half of the story) PJ did a very good job. I feel fortunate we are able to watch these films in the first place and have such a talented director and actors/actresses to put our favorite stories on screen in the epic fasion they deserve.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Draugluin wrote:
It would be for the people out there, like myself, who got the starter set. It would have all the rules that are in the big rulebook and would hopefully also include all the scenarios.

Sourcebooks are glorified army lists they never have rules in them other then stats, scenarios are a given, but a third rulebook will never happen in one year. We wont be getting sourcebooks till the next two movies. There's literally nothing to add to make one for this year,because they can only release what's in each movie, and not before. We're lucky Bolg wasn't cancelled or pulled from production.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree with Tombalbadillo (almost misread your name to be rather inappropriate haha) but that is for another topic.

I think we are going to get small splash releases every few months until the second film comes out this december. I actually really like it this way because it keeps everything alive!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think there is a number of source books that could be brought out,
Erebor, covering its rich history with back ground and new scenarios.
Misty Mounatains, again alot of area here.
Trollshaws & Rivendell could also be included.
I have all the source/Journey books and love the back ground they have added.
Look at all the old MERP ICE books, covering small geographical areas.
Personally i really hope they do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well, personally I hope they do not make sourcebooks, not unless they release more models that don't have any profiles, which is the primary reason for buying a sourcebook. I for one will not buy a sourcebook if the rules for all those models can be found in the rulebook.

Journeybooks are a different matter however.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
I for one will not buy a sourcebook if the rules for all those models can be found in the rulebook.

Journeybooks are a different matter however.

There are a lot of us holding out on buying the big rule book because we have the rules in full from the EfGT set. I don't feel like paying $100 for points values and special rules.

If they put out Journey Books that are as good as the LotR ones I'd be very pleased.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

Sourcebooks are glorified army lists they never have rules in them other then stats, scenarios are a given, but a third rulebook will never happen in one year. We wont be getting sourcebooks till the next two movies. There's literally nothing to add to make one for this year,because they can only release what's in each movie, and not before. We're lucky Bolg wasn't cancelled or pulled from production.

By rules I meant the profiles.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All up for advanced order at GW.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. I must say I love the rivendell knights but am a little disappointed with the elrond sculpt
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next