All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit models
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Warriors of Erebor are in the Rulebook. The only new rules we are getting is for the Men of Dale. Since that Thror model has a shield, I'm going to assume he can take one now?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
Warriors of Erebor are in the Rulebook. The only new rules we are getting is for the Men of Dale. Since that Thror model has a shield, I'm going to assume he can take one now?

Sorry, I meant Dale Warriors - corrected my post.

Anyway, with this release we have seen the following:

1) price increase on infantry
2) models released without rules in the $85 hardcover rulebook
3) Thror model released with equipment not allowed in the $85 hardcover rulebook or in the errata.

I just read the Hobbit errata and the first statement is laughable:

"Although we strive to ensure that our book are perfect, sometimes mistakes do creep in."
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The good news: I do very much like the Dale models and I've been waiting for said models for a very long time now (for a project).

I also kinda like the Dwarves. (which I kinda need for a related project).

Which adds to the Rivendell knights and the Grimhammers on the "need" list.

The bad news: oww, oww, oww, pricey, oww.

The mildly better news: they're plastic, and they'll be available for a long time to come. So...I'll get them. Eventually, when the backlog and income allows.

The less good news: its harder and harder to find these things from non GW sources.

I admit my GW collection is based on a series of decisions and visions written down years ago. That does leave me on the hook, somewhat. But I'll be damned if I'll let it skewer me more than it has to. :p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Arkenstone wrote:
BoromirofIpswich wrote:
The Arkenstone wrote:

Quote:
GW has the raised the prices, one way or another, with every month's release. It's really discouraging.

At this rate I might be using http://www.mithril.ie/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=1865473&BrandID=167465 for LoTR gaming. The price is not far off Finecast. At least you get something in Pewter.

They are also 32mm scale, so I'm not sure how well they will mix in with GW models.

They mix pretty well, especially with GW metals. Mithril figures tend to portray the heroes as tall and willowy (though in a realistic fashion), whereas, a lot of the GW metals tend to portray the heroes as being a bit more broadshouldered and broadchested. Put a bunch of them together with a similar paint job and the results are pretty nice.

I do, however, tend to separate the orcs into different armies. GW Orcs represent Mordor at the end of the Third Age. Mithril orcs represent Angmar Orcs and Wilderland Orcs in the TA 1973-5 era.

I, uh, have a lot, so. uhm, yeah :)

It's quite telling that the GW finecast White Council costs less than the Mithril metal White Council, which comes with a table and chairs and so forth.

It's just that right now Mithril makes its money off the "fellowship" collector's range which are rather pricey. Though, again, the Finecast once off figure prices are in rapid pursuit of that price point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Having had little time for hobbies for some years, I had drifted away from LOTRSBG. The Hobbit releases, I thought, might tempt me to drift back.

No, as it turns out.

I am still reeling from Shock and Awe at the extent of the price hike since I last looked at buying. £20 for a plastic box set of 12 (I last paid £12 for 24). There is simply no way that inflation or the costs of material increases can explain that. Or £50 for 3 plastic trolls. I only have to look at Warlord Minitatures/Wargames Factory/Perry et al to know that GW's prices are exploitative. Not the best plastics often either.

There are clearly 2 schools of thought on the whole move to resin and whether those prices are justified. It's an academic debate from my point of view because the switch to resin makes the range too expensive, regardless of any merits of the new material.

Finally, I have only stuck to GW paints because I knew the colours. Now they have changed that, too, I am free to look at other acrylics ranges.

I'm sure all this has been said before, by as a Returnee it is (unpleasant) news to me.

I have always had recourse to "proxy" figures where I felt they answered best. Now I shall use them in almost all cases, with GW as the absolute last resort.

Unless I find a better undercoat than Citadel Chaos Black or a better varnish that Purity Seal, I shall continue to buy those. That is likely to be all I buy.

They could have had my money. If only they hadn't been so greedy.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I am told that Army Painter's spray undercoat is similar to GW's. It may even be the exact same formula.

(Turns out there's more companies selling hobby paints than there are making them. So different companies license different paint ranges. It would appear that Army Painter may have licensed the old "citadel" range formulas. Certainly their washes are said to be eerily similar, chemically. Their "dipping" varnish is also well regarded.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Haven't had much luck with Army Painter, having used the black primer, dragon red and matt varnish. The primers are just too heavy, nice finish but you lose a lot of the detail on the model. The matt varnish is terrible, after trying nearly every matt varnish out there, the best is still Windsor and Newton's range of acrylic varnishes (Spread the Word :) ). Still think GW primers are some of the best.

The prices for the new Hobbit minis are ridiculous, and for 10 mini's, kinda rules out building a dwarven army for WOTR.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm 
aelfwine wrote:
I am told that Army Painter's spray undercoat is similar to GW's. It may even be the exact same formula.

(Turns out there's more companies selling hobby paints than there are making them. So different companies license different paint ranges. It would appear that Army Painter may have licensed the old "citadel" range formulas. Certainly their washes are said to be eerily similar, chemically. Their "dipping" varnish is also well regarded.)

True. That's why the local retailer here slowly changes their GW colours to others, including Army Painter's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:
So the rumour about a 10 model box for the price of a 12 model box has turned out to be true. Is anyone actually surprised by this?

I'm calling it now, I think this WILL set a precedent for future releases.

I'm not even going to bother stating my opinions on the releases as I know I won't ever get any of them.

Further to my previous comment...

I also call, that we can expect a NEW hardback rulebook next year, or at least with the release of the third film. Whether it be a completely new Edition with tweaked rules, or simply a reprint to collate all the new releases and scenarios for which rules were not included in the first version (Warriors of Dale). Oh, and the price will increase too. Probably to £60.

We're through the looking glass people. All bets are off. There's nothing GW won't do.

And if anyone thinks it won't happen, because it wouldn't be logical for GW to re-release the book so soon, I have only this to say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for sharing that picture 8) now I know what the CEO of GW looks like 8) :lol:

I agree with you though. GW won't stop here...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The release looks alright. I think the Erebor Dwarves suffer from a poor paintjob, they could do with being more armoured, but they do make me think of the chaotic battle outside of Moria. Thror is superb, i'm a bit miffed that he doesn't match the rules, but he is such a nice sculpt its tempting me to try finecast again (after my Bolg's mace spikes just flaked off). Lindir looks like he is nursing a mean hangover. The Men of Dale are alright I guess, they look a bit flat faced, I need better pics to make my mind up.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am really looking forward to the stats for the men of Dale, hopefully these guys will be like the good equivalent of Harad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ooooh, this will be an expensive month I think. Just starting a new job too :(

I've been slacking on my Hobbit purchases; I only have Escape from Goblin Town, Bolg, Fimbul, Hunter Orcs and mounted Hunter Orcs. I still have Great Eagles and at least a box (eventually 2) of Grimhammers to get, as well as Fell Wargs.

I'll definitely be getting Thror and some Dwarf Warriors; 2 boxes at the least. Men of Dale looks sweet as well, I'm hoping we get some mounted ones at some point. I think the reasoning behind these is that the Men of Laketown will look significantly different, so by the second and third films these guys would just be confusing for the casual gamer.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Finn Folcwalding wrote:
Ok here they are (srry bad quality took them with phone):

Sweet!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Honest thoughts Thror looks too thin and nimble, Lindir just looks like a new Elrond model, and is on foot and he's pointing with his fist? I'm going to wait and see if they offer a mounted version down the line(boo, hiss), the men of Dale are very cool, and the Dwarves of Erebor are slightly disappointing. I really just wanted Grimhammers with shield and spear. Looks like I'll be instantmolding a lot of shields to convert them
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thror and the men of dale look really awesome! The dwarf warriors with armour look so much better than GW's old dwarves, but the ones without armour just look like men at arms and not 'official warriors.' Lindur's sculpt looks fine but his pose is just so boring.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thror was already corrected to have a sword instead of an axe in the errata:

Quote:
p. 178 – Thror, the Last King Under the Mountain,
Wargear.
Change entry to read 'Dwarf heavy armour and sword.'

I think that they do not mention that he also has a shield because he can not actually -use- the shield, because of his ring giving him fearless, and fearless preventing you from being able to use your shield for shielding.

Makes me wonder though, if you calculate his defence, does it add up to him having a shield or not?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thror 9/10
Men of Dale 8/10 (Maybe could proxy Arnor warriors with these guys)
Erebor Warriors 7/10
Lindir 2/10
Prices 0/10

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BoromirofIpswich wrote:
I was in my favourite Italian coffee shop where I go after Mass and was talking to the owner about how run-down the town centre was - one in six shops empty, and a large number of the remaining shops are charity shops.

The owner was telling me that one of the landlords of the properties in the town gets his coffee from him. The owner of the coffee shop pointed out to the landlord that he could rent cheaper property in the centre of London. The landlord's reply: "So many shops are empty that I and other landlords have to raise the rent of those that are let to compensate for this."

I was flabbergasted.

Why do I mention this?

I think that GW and, come to think of it, pubs are all victims of the same business mentality. "We have fewer customers so to get the same turnover lets increase the costs."

-snip-

Probably wrong of me to mention prices on this thread, so feel free to move it.

about the town itself, I stopped going because there are way more attractive towns/cities around the area than ipswich.

regarding GW, the thing is matey, they don't have fewer customers as they gain more than they lose so they don't have to compensate - they are just a business and as long as people pay, they will always raise prices.

back on topic - I often find when I point at something, i use my fist - glad GW portrayed that in such a realistic way :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Corsair wrote:
back on topic - I often find when I point at something, i use my fist - glad GW portrayed that in such a realistic way :roll:

I think its an open hand that isn't shown properly because of the angle. After the White council kit, i'm probably wrong though :(.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next