All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:35 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Hobbit models
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I am sort of hoping that the soldiers are thrown into the 'army of thror' list for now, until a Dalish hero is released.

The description page does mention that "When not protecting their homeland, these men can be seen on ships bound for distant wars." so maybe you can put them in any force as mercenaries. If not, they I hope they release a command pack soon. Or Girion.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
The men of dale look REALLY good, but at 4$ a mini I just don't think I could buy them :( . An army of them would be awesome, but you'd probably need between 3-4 boxes which is 120-160+tax :o

Or take two boxes and just ally. I'm not happy about their only being ten in the box, but it does almost force them into being a support force and hopefully their rules reflect that.

Plus the fact that they currently have no Heroes to lead a Warband of Dale Warriors, and no Army List currently exists for Dale.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
The description page does mention that "When not protecting their homeland, these men can be seen on ships bound for distant wars." so maybe you can put them in any force as mercenaries.

I noticed that too! It struck me as a bit odd, given how far they are from any body of water other than the Long Lake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

After looking on the GW site, my opinion has changed slightly.

Actually I don't find Lindir that bad, my own experience with Finecast is that they can turn out better (the faces) unpainted when you buy them than they look painted on the site.

The warriors of Erebor have some great poses, but I try to stick with buying things I've seen in the movie, and I haven't seen them.

Warriors of Dale, some really great looking miniatures, aren't they the first LotR infantry models without the slot-base system?

Thror is just stunning

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL they created miniatures without having any rules or stats whatsoever LOOOL

So we just have some soldiers sitting there without any use (exept display of course)

GW congats :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The new Hobbit series of fig are just to expensive for what they are. You can substitute historical miniatures or other fantasy figures and do the same armies for 1/3 the price. Plus with a few exceptions I don't care for Peter Jackson's vision of the Hobbit. Men of Dale look like lost Mongels.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

uruksdreamtoo wrote:
The new Hobbit series of fig are just to expensive for what they are. You can substitute historical miniatures or other fantasy figures and do the same armies for 1/3 the price. Plus with a few exceptions I don't care for Peter Jackson's vision of the Hobbit. Men of Dale look like lost Mongels.

I actually quite like them. They look very distinct from existing factions.

Of course, one could easily use actual Mongol miniatures from historical ranges. You'd have a huge range of miniatures to choose from and you can do entire armies in good old-fashioned metal for reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There are already heroes to lead the Dale warriors: Thror, Thorin, Dwail, Balin, Grimmhammer captain et al. They would almost certainly be in the Army of Thror list.

Also, how can anyone prefer the look of the Grimhammer Clones to the warriors of Erebor. I hate it when people think dwarves should all look the same. the Erebor Warriors are not only vastly superior in appearance to the Grimhammers but alos the LotR Dwarf warriors, the Khazad Guard, and Vault Wardens. In fact the only Warriors vagely comparable are Iron Guard, and maybe Rangers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
There are already heroes to lead the Dale warriors: Thror, Thorin, Dwail, Balin, Grimmhammer captain et al. They would almost certainly be in the Army of Thror list.

Also, how can anyone prefer the look of the Grimhammer Clones to the warriors of Erebor. I hate it when people think dwarves should all look the same. the Erebor Warriors are not only vastly superior in appearance to the Grimhammers but alos the LotR Dwarf warriors, the Khazad Guard, and Vault Wardens. In fact the only Warriors vagely comparable are Iron Guard, and maybe Rangers.

I said I want Heroes of Dale. Not warbands of Dale Warriors led by Dwarf Heroes.

My point was that I preferred the fully amoured, ready for war look of the Dwarves in this image.

The new Erebor Dwarf plastics are great, but they look like they're not all fully suited up and prepared for war (how else can you explain how only a couple are actually wearing helmets, pieces of plate armour etc). The result is that they look like a permanent snapshot of Smaug's attack on Erebor, with the Dwarves not having the time to equip themselves properly with armour and weapons.

And of course these new Erebor Dwarves look different from the older models - they're from different Kingdoms. The Erebor Dwarves look similar to the Grimhammer Dwarves because they come from Erebor, as opposed to say, Moria or the Iron Hills.

Last edited by Pindergorn on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aye, that's what I thought. That the Warriors of Dale would be an option for the Erebor army lists (an interesting one too in my opinion)

Although I'm sure someone here suggested they were going to have their own list when I made the same observation :roll:

I do like the grimhammers personally. It's not that I think that they should look the same (I actually like the way PJ and co have made an effort to take the dwarves slightly away from one size fits all, in order to get characters across. I think it makes them a much more exciting and interesting race to play.) But more that I prefer that tanked up, armoured look in the movie to some (not all) of the erebor dwarf poses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

King Ondoher wrote:

My point was that I preferred the fully amoured, ready for war look of the Dwarves in this image.

The new Erebor Dwarf plastics are great, but they look like they're not all fully suited up and prepared for war (how else can you explain how only a couple are actually wearing helmets, pieces of plate armour etc). The result is that they look like a permanent snapshot of Smaug's attack on Erebor, with the Dwarves not having the time to equip themselves properly with armour and weapons.

And of course these new Erebor Dwarves look different from the older models - they're from different Kingdoms. The Erebor Dwarves look similar to the Grimhammer Dwarves because they come from Erebor, as opposed to say, Moria or the Iron Hills.

Great minds think alike (and clearly post at the same time!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It doesn't matter what you want Ondohir. What happened to AotD being lead by Dol Amroth Captains because they have no generic dead heroes?

Judging by GW's site, the Men of Dale are most likely in Thror's army list.

@Ondohir and @Thermo, thx for explaining why you prefer Grmhmrs to them, i can cross you off the 'dwarf clone' list.

The pic is nice and thet could be eites. They need regular Dwarf Warriors who aren't elites too imo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

King Ondoher wrote:
I said I want Heroes of Dale. Not warbands of Dale Warriors led by Dwarf Heroes.

I'm in no rush to run out and buy the warriors of Dale, but if/when I do, I've been thinking of getting some Gripping Beast Jomsvikings to use as heroes. To me, they are suitably flashy (whereas many historicals can appear a tad bland next to fantasy minis), and are an interesting blend of nordic and eastern aesthetics.

King Ondoher wrote:
The result is that they look like a permanent snapshot of Smaug's attack on Erebor, with the Dwarves not having the time to equip themselves properly with armour and weapons.

Or just irregulars, which is something that I think is reasonable with any race (but tends to be ignored in dwarves and elves, especially). I suppose I'd kind of look at it in a similar way to the Rohirrim - the royal guard would represent the professional soldier class, whereas the standard rank-and-file troops are probably citizens with other everyday occupations, but that are called upon from time to time for war, and their gear is assembled from whatever they personally own or from a communal reserve armory.

I also like that one of Thorin's dwarves wouldn't look out-of-place leading these models, but they would look under-armored or under-equipped leading Grimhammers.

That said, I was also expecting, and understand the desire for, the more uniform style that we saw in the production photo that you posted. With the number of spare shields in the Erebor dwarves set (or by press-molding), you could certainly convert a set of grimhammers into those dwarves without too much trouble. Some of the poses would be easier to make into spearmen than others, though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It doesn't matter what you want Ondohir. What happened to AotD being lead by Dol Amroth Captains because they have no generic dead heroes?

Are you being sarcastic? :S I know that GW doen't give a flying **** what I want, I'm just expressing how I'd like the Warriors of Dale to be a viable, independant army rather than just an afterthought in an Erebor Dwarf army.

Do you want to see the Warriors of Dale end up as yet another non-entity like the Army of the Dead? The AotD should have a generic Captain of their own too. Just because theres a precedent, doesn't mean it should happen again for the Warriors of Dale.

Quote:
Judging by GW's site, the Men of Dale are most likely in Thror's army list.

Yes, that is most likely. I just think it would have been nicer for them to get their own seperate list (maybe amalgamated with the upcoming Men of Laketown; like how Arnor & Grey Company are in the same list) so they can exist as a faction in their own right, rather than just being shoehorned into the Army of Thror list.

Quote:
@Ondohir and @Thermo, thx for explaining why you prefer Grmhmrs to them, i can cross you off the 'dwarf clone' list.

The pic is nice and thet could be eites. They need regular Dwarf Warriors who aren't elites too imo.

Not sure what you mean by the "Dwarf clone list".

And yes I agree, Erebor needs a basic non elite troop type.

These new Erebor plastics would work well as basic troops, i.e. a Militia of sorts. I just hope that another troop type, maybe an elite "Thror's Guard" that better resemble the clearly better armoured Dwarves in the image are released.

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
King Ondoher wrote:

I'm in no rush to run out and buy the warriors of Dale, but if/when I do, I've been thinking of getting some Gripping Beast Jomsvikings to use as heroes. To me, they are suitably flashy (whereas many historicals can appear a tad bland next to fantasy minis), and are an interesting blend of nordic and eastern aesthetics.

Yes, they're actually quite nice miniatures. More of a Nordic aesthetic though as opposed to the eastern Mongolian look that WETA and GW went with.

Mongolian and Hunnic miniatures might also work well. Gripping Beast have a range of Huns, couldn't find any Mongols though.

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=21

And also, you've just echoed what I said about the Erebor Dwarves. These new plastics work well as militia/irregulars, but it would be nice to also get a more professional, fully armoured warrior type as seen in the image. Maybe as a Finecast box set, its probably unrealistic to expect a second plastic box set of very similar miniatures, just with better armour.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just ordered all the new releases from Green Dragon, cant wait. Imo some of the best looking Hobbit releases yet.
Hopefully more evil figures next month

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with King Ondoher, I reckon the Dwarves shown in the above picture might be an elite 'King's Guard' or something. Doesn't Thorin order Balin to call out the King's Guard just before Smaug attacks in the film, then he and Thrain lead them?

Plus in the rulebook in the wargear section it mentions a Dwarf wielding a pike, which isnt listed in their wargear....

Like the new releases very much. Thror looks quality. Hope that a Dale hero would be released eventually though, maybe Girion in a journeybook/sourcebook could be a long term possibility.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oooo, a Dwarven Kings Guard equipped with pikes, dwarf armour and shields.

*drools*.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just pre-ordered some Grim Hammers and Thror from my lgs. We pay full whack, but get a 5% money back thing and don't have to pay the taxes.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the poses and tunics (and hidden chainmail) of the Dwarves of erebor and, to an extent, the fact that not all have much armour. what I HATE about them though is the stupidity and random selecetion with what armour they have: one is basically a Grimhammer full suit, but without the arms. One is wearing just greaves. One has just a helmet. One has just vambraces. One has vambraces and greaves. one has helmet and body-plate etc. If they'd been more logical and appropriate with their handing out armour, it'd be much better (e.g. all have breastplate or clear chainmail showing, plus a few with helmets, a few with vambraces and a few with greaves).

The men of Dale is an odd box: 3 bows, 3 spear & shield, 3 sword & shield and 1 with just sword. Maybe he's a captain of Dale? Nice models, just a strange format.

Thror: Beautiful piece an his leg looks a little thin,b ut that's because of his awesome and dominating beard and his bulky fur caot. No fur coat and he'd look more like a heftily bearded Thorin. Despise the close-up of his beard though - abysmal painting for a close-up on the beard-braiding, even if it looks great from further away.

Grimhammer captain: his head still seems like they sculpted over a helmet. if it were in proportion, it'd be nice.

Lindir: Don't realy care about him, but not well thought, although well-sculpted. Hand was done poorly (looks like the paint, not the model, defines the fingers) and the shirt he has is weird - it's like a petticoat: some spell is holding the layers of his undershirt away from his legs, his overshirt away from his undershirt and his coat away from that...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:42 pm 
No rules for some of the released models?
Now I really really hope for a sourcebook, might even be buying some of the Hobbit models then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next