All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:26 pm

Post subject: Re: Hobbit Rules Queries?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can attest that no-breaking point games against goblin town armies are a nightmare. You can expect like 3 new goblins every turn that can contest capture points. In our games workshop campaign the guy had nothing left but his scribe and he still won in the last turn by spawning goblins and nabbing the objective.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I suspect that using the Scribe will provide widely varying results, particularly as he has a Courage of only 3, and only able to bolster it with a single point of will. I am going to try and finish mine tonight if I can.

I am planning on hosting a "Hobbit" miniatures only battle of at least 2,000 points a side hopefully sometime in May (though I have a fair bit of painting to get done!) We are planning a fight to the death. I intend to have Elrond leading a unit of Rivendell knights which even with their bows are taking gown goblins on a 4+, and 3+ when charging with their lances! I think that on some occasion flooding the board with low quality un-armoured troops may well turn out to be a complete liability break point wise. I am quite happy using Good or Evil when we get playing and will treat the Scribe as my first tactical priority. If I am fielding Good, I intend not to target the scribe and trash the goblins with Elrond's cavalry and force an early break test, then head hunt enemy commanders (the scribe included) and see the Eagles as being particularly useful here! If using evil I intend to throw in all the hard stuff straight away with a solid block of goblins in the centre with Bolg with his courage of 5 (and or Azog should he be available?) in the locality to keep them in check. A twilight Witch King might be useful in such a fashion. if GW release him?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As someone who has played the scribe since release day I will now share my tactic.
HORN!!
C4 Scribe means you are nearly always passing by 1 plus D3.
A good roll can bring home 9 goblins in a turn (12 on the dice + C4 = 16 so 6 goblins plus D3)

It also means you pass more often than not by a significant number.
Fimbul with hunter orcs + a horn is how I did it.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fantastic!
Why I haven't thought of this so far appals me. I shall get converting a horn blower Hunter Orc immediately! As well as an extra dozen or so goblin cannon fodder.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I took 72 Goblins to ToS. 60ish were in the army and 12 were reinforcements. I relied on men dying fast enough to create give me more stock.