All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:20 pm

Post subject: GW : lack of advertisement
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Greetings,

I guess everyone of us fears the day that GW will decide to stop producing LOTR mini's, as there are very few players around this is very likely IMO (at least after they're done with the Hobbit).
Games-Workshop simply lacks in advertising, me thinks. They do no advertising on the hobby what so ever, and with prices like they are now, how will they ever attract new hobbyists? :roll:

I was thinking, if GW doesn't do any advertising, why don't we? We could design one or more good looking flyers, posters, etc. and hang those in local hobby stores, schools, everywhere.
It's just sad to see LOTR decline, and ofcourse, the more players the merrier.

Cheers, Sang

Post subject: Re: GW : lack of advertisement
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I like that idea in that it could potentially keep the hobby alive. The downside is GW wins even with their absurd price point. Its too bad we can't all mobilize together in some sort of union like discussions lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree, a good idea to advertise ourselves.
The Lord of the Rings stuff is not really that expensive, only the hobbit stuff, so any new person could start a new army for lotr for not that much from gw or for even less on ebay.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

THe thing is, I have been hearing this for years, 10 in fact as it was back in 2003 that people weere posting the same sort of thign as this "oh after RotK LotR will be dead"....10 years on its still here. Now, its true nothing lasts forever and LotR as a whole has a finite life span release wise but just because they stop making releases does that mean you have to stop playing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
If the forum comes up with anything and Green Dragon Games can help either by lower prices or pulling power on the advertising or anything let me know, I'd be happy to assist of course! I'd love to turn it around and say Green Dragon is the number one discount Middle Earth retailer but the fact that Games Workshop only allows trade accounts to order a handful of the full range prevents me from doing that, grrr!

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ofcourse the hobby won't suddenly vanish when GW stops producing, but it will fall in decline. Just for now, I think it has much more potential, GW simply doesn't reach possible hobbyists. Ofcourse we'd be helping GW sell there stuff... but that doesn't matter seeing we get more fellow players through it. Prices are alright as they are I guess (except for the Hobbit range).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Does GW advertise anywhere other than on sites it owns, publications it publishes or on premises it controls? I ask because I just do not know. WH40K and Warhammer have been their main stock in trade for years with periodic tweaks (some less successful than others). I get the impression from many people that a lot of clubs only have those 2 options in their non-historical section but then you see how many people play a lot of other historical and other fantasy games and it makes you wonder what actual percentage of gaming time GW actually has. LotR & Hobbit are generally down the list in my experience, other than when the next movie is imminent or recently released.
GW can close up tomorrow and I have years of painting ahead of me. And other games I can play and minis I can build.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have to be honest, I've never seen GW advertise anything outside of their own websites, stores and WD. Walking past a GW recently, I can see that they still have a window display for The Hobbit/LotR and, while they haven't had any One Ring style campaigns recently (which was the best promotion imo), the SBG can still be found in the same place on their website. The only thing lacking (and the most important for continued interest) is WD coverage. If people stop seeing it in WD, they'll begin to question whether or not the SBG has a future or is worth buying.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Found this gem on the YouTube: It’s a Battle Games in Middle Earth TV spot! Absolutely mind-blowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbxLy1l13s

It’s easy to see how GW would completely fail in trying to advertise war gaming miniatures in popular media today: we now live in digital world. People love their video games…

What’s interesting is that board games in general are still doing relatively healthy sales wise. Heck, some even say they are making a comeback! It’s similar to the notion that despite the growing power of globalization, strong counter movements emerge to balance things out.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/board-games-return-to-popularity-sd7lkjk-180549421.html

But I’m getting a little too grandiose in nature here haha. The point I’m trying to make is that miniature war gaming has the potential to stick around for a very long time, especially when a game has movie tie-ins to initiate and spark early interest!

GW suggestions:

1) Like others have said numerous times on this forum: there should be an insert in every Hobbit DVD!

2) YouTube advertisements before Hobbit related videos

3) SBG discounts whenever you buy a ticket to see one of the Hobbit Films

4) In depth behind the scenes videos of the making of Hobbit miniatures and how they try to sculpt figures based off of WETA designs

5) Interactive SBG Mobile Apps

Ugh, I hope GW reads this post :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think your idea #3 is really good.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
I think your idea #3 is really good.

Indeed. If you can get ~10% off your purchase by showing a hobbit ticket, that would be great! Little incentives like that to increase their volume of sales, without decreasing their profits a lot would be a great idea.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There was plenty of advertising back in the glory years. Each new sourcebook was announced 6 weeks prior to release and they had lots of little leaflets like this showcasing the new stuff.

Ignore the circles on the last one, that is what I wanted to get at the time...alas...I never did.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Show these to the guys at your local gw, maybe they could do something about it.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have, got several of these from various releases scattered around. Local managers are too far down the chain to do anything about it.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Was there also a one to try to hook new players?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:25 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ahh, back inthe day when GW had those battlehosts that actually saved you money.... :o
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Armandhammer wrote:
Found this gem on the YouTube: It’s a Battle Games in Middle Earth TV spot! Absolutely mind-blowing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbxLy1l13s

wow, those were the days, talk about inflation £1.99 for 12 goboes, some paints, a brush and bgime mag
nowdays £20 for 10 dale warriors
I think gw need to pull their thumbs out and start bgime back if they want to draw in new customers, sadly thats only one thing, and the list is now too long for me to go on writing and you know what I'm talking about :sad:

EDIT that's the first time I've ever quoted someone before

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I hear you Grungehog!

And Some pretty neat pics SD!

Seeing “Defenders of Rohan” on that ad for 25£ sent some serious shivers down my spine!

Btw, did GW hand out “The Order of Battle” pamphlet everywhere or was this system strictly a Canadian thing?

It was a neat little system where once you purchased a certain amount of heroes + painted them; you’d earn a free supplemental book!

It was a great tool to help newbies (including myself) strive towards a goal. Not only that, BUT it also encouraged people to turn towards friends to help with painting and collecting.

Makes me wonder how GW came up with such a wonderful idea. :roll:

Click to: Show

Click to: Show

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Unbelievable! I simply do not buy from GWS anymore, they are charging silly money. I earn a good salary and have thousands of pounds wirth of figures, I still want so much more, but at the new prices I refuse to buy from them. If they had the figures at a reasonable price I would buy tones.
Now, I am just purchasing off of eBay, their loss as I want to buy and collect so much... Please listen games workshop and sort your prices out, and don't price everyone out of the game as you will loose out in the long run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well my wages don't cover GW purhases any more. I have to make do with what I earn on commission work to fund my hobby purchases now, and I'm having to be quite selective over which ones I choose. Gone are the days of buying everything for me I think, although I had a good run before the Finecast era. It's such a terrible medium to work with. Even the plastics are better quality than that stuff IMO. I really miss metal :(