All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: April Miniatures Release
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Some are nice figures but at the prices they want - I'll pass.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

greendragon wrote:

Any mods on here... Can we give that post a one-ring award of some sort? I am very imprssed :rofl: :lol: :yay:

Thank you, thank you very much! :D :rofl: 8)

EDIT: Excessive quoting removed again - this is getting silly now :no: Am i talking to myself here or what? Global announcement coming up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

uruksdreamtoo wrote:
Some are nice figures but at the prices they want - I'll pass.

Same boat. I really want some of these figures, and maybe, eventually, I'll get one or two. But realistically, GW has priced me out. Considering what I can get from pretty much any other company for the same price, it's very difficult to justify buying GW models, especially when I have essentially no hobby money to speak of anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Like most of the sculpts, dislike the paintjobs. I could paint like that, and that is NOT a compliment.

I'm thinking in a few years, GW will have to release a collectors guide that lists al 4089 different Gandalf poses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Goldman25 wrote:
Reto wrote:
Goldman25 wrote:
I mean, is he constantly vaulting that log throughout the entire battle?

Why should Gimli to sit on a dead uruk the hole game? In the lotr range there are also models in an battle unfriendly pose. For my they are nice models. Not every model needs to be in a battle pose. Some hobbyist just love to paint. For these people the Bilbo and Gandalf poses are nice sculpts.

I don't see why they need to bring out a third Bilbo and Gandalf from the Hobbit when the game's not even been out six months yet

Have to say I'm with Reto and DMS on this one, I've got no issue with models being in action poses, there's really no difference between Bilbo jumping a log and Legolas firing an arrow, neither would be doing said action for the entire game.

The appeal for me is to have an interesting Hobbit pose, so many of the Hobbit sculpts are dull due to the size of the minis that it's nice to have an exciting action pose (it's the same reason I like the Breaking of the Fellowship running Hobbits). Although that said I'm utterly confused as to what Bilbo's meant to be carrying on his back, looks like the tips of a couple of warheads! Maybe that's how they're planning on taking down Smaug in the move:

"Black Nuclear Warhead, I have saved you till last and I have always retrieved you, now fly!"

As for the question about multiple Biblo/Gandalf sculpts, that's just SBG all over, it's always been a collectors game, purely from memory I can think of 3 Gandalf and 3 Aragorn poses that were available within 6 months of the Fellowship box set being released. I don't see any problem with this, more choice is a good thing IMO.

Just want to stress I'm not ganging up on Goldman here, he's said he meant it as a joke, each to their own and all that, just chucking in my 2 cents.

Oh, and a few interesting tidbits about the scupltors, the almost universally well received Thrain is by Alan Perry (makes sense), the similarly well recieved Dale and Erebor captains are by Gaku Matsubayashi (not sure if he's new but he's one to watch in my opnion, he's got a really great eye for dynamic poses within the more grounded LOTR world), the divisive Bilbo and Gandalf are by Israel Laborda and the almost universally disliked Gollum is by...Alan Perry! I was really surpirsed by this, doesn't look like his work at all and it certainly doesn't resemble the other 4 Gollums I can think of.

The prices continue to surprise even by their own logic, Thror and Thrain are £12 each (for small dwarves)?!?! Making them only £1 less than Yazneg foot and mounted (2 poses of a bigger orc + the warg)?!?!? Really doesn't make a lot of sense. I can just about swallow £10 as an upper limit for the ocassional Finecast figure, £12 for a small Dwarf is just silly.

Ah well, still nice to have some shiny new toys to play with and after a good inspection of the 360s I'll be splashing out on Bilbo and Gandalf.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:

Oh, and a few interesting tidbits about the scupltors...

Where do you get this information from?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd like to chime in on the discussion of the darker painting of Gollum. He is much more text true. Gollum is described as being black and lurking, often as a shadow.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Armandhammer wrote:

Where do you get this information from?

It's in the new White Dwarf

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

As if we need another gandalf, bilbo of a golum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
I'm utterly confused as to what Bilbo's meant to be carrying on his back, looks like the tips of a couple of warheads!

To me, it looks like a sack with a grey thing sticking out and 2 bottles.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
I don't see why they need to bring out a third Bilbo and Gandalf from the Hobbit.

It's for collectors, as you've said, but also for people who dont want models in the classic fighting pose, but a more dynamic and asthetically pleasing pose. Having more poses of the same characters also makes it easier for conversions and weapon swaps, as you can choose the pose which most suits your change or which ever one will require the least work.

Well, that's how it goes for me anyway.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah the Bilbo model is a bit "busy" as far as his various accessories go. I think it breaks down as follows:

He has a yellowish-beige scarf, one end of which is billowing up on his shoulder over the grey strap of:

A rope/sling attached to two small bottles which are wrapped together, resting on his right hip

A brownish satchel slung across his back

I think the GW color scheme is pretty true to the costume, but I think distinguishing these three will be a lot easier with a more distinct color scheme.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:05 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Personally i love the non-fighting poses that GW have done over the years, Sam with the carrot in his hand with Bill the Pony is brillaint for example.

I am very happy with this months release and suprised GW are still releasing models on a monthly basis, i thought we may have had a non-release month by now. The more the better IMO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm normally a supporter of fine cast, but these direct only choices are irking me. Regardless of not having any angst against finecast on the whole. I've been able to inspect all my previous purchases in store. I'm not going to trust that GW is going to send me the best possible sculpt when they don't even do that for their own stores.
On the bright side it prevents me from spending more in store. Now I'll just buy the captains and be done. Also why is Gollum by himself almost as much as the Riddles in The Dark Set?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I, personally, am glad tha, like many others, these releasies are unispiring, and thus I will not be getting any.

I rarely get good guys anyway, but these particular ones are particularly unappealing for the reasons already discussed by many above posters, and so I will not boreyou by dsaying them again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good for you
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All these models except the Dwarves suck. Especially at their price point. That Capt of Dale has that freakin awful mustache. If I bought the model is soend all day removing that disgusting thing

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

JamesR wrote:
All these models except the Dwarves suck. Especially at their price point. That Capt of Dale has that freakin awful mustache. If I bought the model is soend all day removing that disgusting thing

Forgot to add this.

The Captain of Dale is clearly evil. He is a cross between Littlefinger (Aiden Gillan) and The Master (Roger Delgado)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like Thrain. You can keep the rest GW. And I agree that Gollum hand is awful, although the face is nicely done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't mind the multiple gandalf-bilbo figures. More poses the better I think. Plus theres only a few Gandalf's with his old staff.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next