All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:42 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metal Models a dying product for GW
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:46 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What I am wondering is why FC Sharkey and Worm is no longer available. Looks like it has been scrapped entirely.

No loss with Dwarf Archers they are in plastic anyway. The Troll was also a given since it is FC in the Catapult box. The Mahud on the other hand better be going in FC then.

PS: Does anyone else have spellchecker on here? I do.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:11 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Do you have the new Internet Explorer? I think that it's built in with the new version. I also have spellcheck on Facebook and every other site.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sharky and Worm - way too expensive for a model which is never going to be used. I would like to get my hands on them, but I'm more interested in everything else...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The metal dwarf bowmen and Merry, Pippin 2 and on horseback are still available. I hope the metal Rohan models don't share the same fate. We were planning to start a Rohan force in the future.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:50 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sharkey and Worm is still available here :?

Check out my WIP! :meh:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, another panic buy for me :) But now I have everything in metall I definitly want.

The rest I will be getting from eBay.

When finecast was introduced, while I hate the material big time, I wasn't sure if I would not be tempted to buy some of the Hobbit stuff to come in finecast, just because there is no other option. Now I know for sure this will never ever happen - I'm not tempted at all, because - for me - it would feel like buying c r a p for a premium price.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Same here, I didn't go crazy or anything but I picked up another 2 blisters of Feral Uruk Hai and mounted Saruman just in case. If the metals do go then there'll be loads of elf, Gondor, Harad etc. models that I'll now never own but I've got everything I really need for Rohan, Moria and Isengard which are my main armies.

I also got lucky this morning on ebay and managed to get that Warmaster Empire War Alter I was after for £10 which is actually cheaper than it was on the GW website before it sold out. Think I got very, very lucky with that one but at least that completes my Empire army.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
I only started buying from ebay after the things I wanted for my collection were discontinued (especially all the set recreating scenes from the movie, like captured by Gondor). I got into LOTR in 2004 I think, but I started by buying mostly plastic boxes because, at that time I had no clue how to collect, and I would go for the boxes because I wanted as many minis as possible...then I had a long break of the hobby (around 3 years) because most of my friends stopped collecting and playing and I was left with tons of unpainted plastic miniatures. I then found a way back into LOTR, because I liked the miniatures so much! I started collecting all the beautiful metal miniatures and have almost completed my collection now.

Pretty much the same for me too. Had I been a little older at the time I would have been focusing on buying the metal sets with all the characters rather than all the plastic ones. There were some great blisters too like Saruman with the Palantir which disappeared far too quickly. I'm still tempted to get Ambush at Amon Hen and In the Clutches of Shelob sets before they go to FC (when I definitely would not buy them from GW) but didn't really want to spend the money right now.

Thanks for keeping us informed lordgoober. I'm sure a big proportion of the community will want to monitor the situation closely.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have been picking up metals on the GW site, EBay and various gaming conventions over the last couple of years, since Finecast was introduced. I still have a fair few items to go, but I will hopefully get the main things I need for my Rohan, Dwarf and 'Evil' (consists of orcs, Uruks and Easterlings) armies over the upcoming year. I will continue to buy plastic sets from The Hobbit and the few from LotR I do not presently have (yes they are expensive, but discount stores help out with this) but no Finecast for me.

I will be working out exactly what I need for my armies soon, purchasing the items still needed, and then painting them up ready for gaming with.

I have only ever played SBG down at GW so I stuck to how they should be according to GW's rules, but now I will convert for my own vision of Middle Earth and use proxies for those warriors I still require rather than having to stick to the GW canon, so I can game at home and with friends without upsetting anyone at GW.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Uruk Hai Battering Ram now unavailable from Games Workshop UK. Only that and Faramir's Rangers gone so far as well as Sharkey and Worm...which I agree is odd because it was Finecast.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Pity about the battering ram but it wasn't the most well-needed item on most people's list.

At least the list of missing models isn't as high as was initially predicted, but it will likely increase. Shame.

@Draugy, though is likely right about t'internet.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All of the mentioned items in this thread I've checked so far are still available in Australia, where I live :?

Check out my WIP! :meh:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
Quote:
This morning I raise my glass and doff my cap to Warmaster, Blood Bowl, Mordhiem and Necromunda, fantastic games all that have given me 20 years worth of good times. You will be missed :sad:

Times do change. I collect metal models and have for more than 40 years. GW does not make metal models. :sad:
They do not sell any thing I want any more. I like the new bunny sled. I am not going to buy it because it is fine cast.
I miss the old days!

I couldn't agree with you more, it actually makes me sad more than angry. i like the sculpt of the new bunny sled too, albeit I would not buy it if it were in metal as I have no interest in it, however I see your point.

I must admit that I have bought finecast before. firstly. I. Do. Not. Like. It. I love metal figures, in fact i just bought some wood elf sentinals at my local gw today along with a wood elf command. I think I will have to buy as much as I can before the minis get corrupted by the finecast gods. My point being, is that im worried that once the metals are gone, i will be forced to buy finecast (as i love the figures and the game and every aspect that comes with such a hobby).

if GW went back to metal i don't think abyone would be unhappy, in fact i thinbk they would grow in popularity, however i understand its because of finance issues.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do you peoples know what. From just reading this conversation ( and from others on the net) I feel the main issue with finecast is simply the feeling and weight. it does not feel worthy and stong. When you hold finecast it just feels wrong. I suppose 40k fans can enjoy finecast more than us, as at least their modes come with realistic battle damage :p

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think I take less issue with Finecast than most. My first experience with Finecast was with warped models, which were courteously replaced by GW. When I actually tried it, what I found with Finecast was a material that takes very well to paint, can be adjusted easily, and has crisper details than either metal or plastic.

The issues with Finecast, for me, is that is A) replaces metal and B) is a substance that is very, very obviously not worth its price tag. With metal, you get a real sense of value in the product. Metal is worth something outside of the miniature hobby. Metal figurines are a tradition stretching back longer than wargaming. Sure, plastic is good for building up armies, but "tin soldiers" is a nomenclature for this hobby. To toss that aside seems wrong.

Finecast is a good material, but it shouldn't replace metal. Additionally, a resin model is just a resin model. With the weight lost and the miscast issues, there is no sense of value with Finecast. Of all the absurdly priced objects in GW's history, it's clear and obvious that Finecast is nowhere near worth what's being charged for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I completely agree with you Jamros. I have seen the Finecast and there is, to me, a higher fidelity in detail. More edge definition and clear features. That being said, I also feel metal has a tradition or legacy. That nostalgia is lost in a plastic/resin miniature, regardless of what it looks like once painted, viewed, or gamed with.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I went to a GW yesterday and there was 1 meter for LotR and Hobbit.
With more Hobbit then LotR and only FC miniatures, no metal miniatures for any range :(

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

imrail wrote:
I went to a GW yesterday and there was 1 meter for LotR and Hobbit.
With more Hobbit then LotR and only FC miniatures, no metal miniatures for any range :(

There hasn't been metal models stocked in GW stores for quite a few years now.

Mid Sussex Wargamers

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
Why all the bothering about the resin? Well it doesn't have that nice feeling to it...also many LOTR stuff was designed to be released in metal, which is quite a robust material-Finecast just can't bear the weight of certain things. Also, as my paintings skills improve progressivly I want to be able to strip minis I painted say 5 years ago to give them a better paintjob now...that's just not possible anymore (yeah I know finecast can be stripped-but multiple times? I doubt it!).

This! All things I agree with AND one other thing...The casts still have tons of manufacturing issues. When Finecast first came out, I didn't want to pass judgement to quickly as there did seem to be crisp and clean lines on the minis. Then I heard they had casting issues and I decided to hold back before buying any. A few months ago, I purchased a pack of vault wardens and a pack of dwarf warriors in metal (along with a ton of other miniatures). Those 2 packs had missing parts so GW offered me replacements....in Finecast. I accepted. I spent HOURS using green stuff filling all the parts on the mini that had airbubbles or simply wasn't completely cast. Such a shame. Add my name to those that will be hunting for any metal figures I still need.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree metal models are nice for heros and so on, but in terms of big models (like trolls or catapults) i'd take finecast over metal any day. Metal was the biggest nightmare in the world concerning large models.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next