All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:14 pm

Post subject: Re: GW : lack of advertisement
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Armandhammer wrote:
Btw, did GW hand out “The Order of Battle” pamphlet everywhere or was this system strictly a Canadian thing?

It was a neat little system where once you purchased a certain amount of heroes + paint
Makes me wonder how GW came up with such a wonderful idea. :roll

Ah yes, I got one of those when I first started. I never bought any heroes so I didn't ever 'finish', but it was good motivation for some people. 8)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

theavenger001 wrote:
Ah yes, I got one of those when I first started. I never bought any heroes so I didn't ever 'finish', but it was good motivation for some people. 8)

Nice! It sure was :-D

I managed to stumble onto this article:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2012/07/ ... gency.html

It's from July 2012 though.

Anyone notice any changes recently? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I remember the first model I got from Games workshop was purchased via coupon from a magazine, it was a $10 credit you could use in the store, it was about 1999 or 2000 but before LOTR, it got me into the store we had at the mall, from then on I would always walk into the store to look at the models,terrain boards and watch ppl playing, but didn't start collecting until 2004-ish and it was LOTR I was interested in, but I would say if I didn't purchase that first model I would have just ignored the store (which is closed now).
Also I was browsing an older marvel comic (maybe mid 90s) about a year ago where I saw they had an ad, I remember it was for 40k but I can't remember any other details.
anyone else remember having this coupon?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I have never understood why GW do not advertise their product outside of White Dwarf. Advertising pays dividends and there are any number of avenues for them to follow - print, social media, and television - but they steadfastly refuse to broadcast themselves to the wider world.

They also refuse to have sales, which I find bewildering. If they offered a discount on a new release (say, their newly re-tooled Eldar), then they would hook a lot of new (and also existing) players into this product. Then when the price went up again after a little while, their customers would be more likely to part with their cash to keep their investment current.

These guys are idiots, plain and simple. And as such, I have no desire to help them promote their products for free. I hope and pray for someone else to pick up the LOTR licence. Maybe if the Perry Brothers get rich enough they could do it, or Warlord, who have all of the business sense that GW lacks, as well as the sculpting and game design talent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I contrast the fait accompli attitude of GW with the really positive and open attitude of Mantic. Chatting online with Ronnie Renton (the boss) and some of the other guys, and seeing how they adapt and respond to customer ideas and 'demands' is so refreshing. The best possible advertisements for any company is their products, their value for money (in every sense), and the way they strive to serve their backers and customers and potential customers. There are many other excellent smaller companies out there, strangely many of them founded, run by and staffed by former GW people.
Or maybe not so strangely after all.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

A very interesting thread...so here's my tuppence worth...

Way back when, when I started this hobby...I had no idea who Games Workshop was, or White Dwarf magazine for that matter.
I work in a Supermarket and on passing the magazine rack one night, a magazine called 'Battle Games In Middle Earth' caught my eye, mainly because of the plastic goblins attached that sparked my love of the Lord of the Rings and my inner child.

I thought this was a new thing, and only available through the magazine. I painted the Goblins and then bought issue 2. I had only really just flicked through the pages, as I thought the painted goblins that they showed inside the mag were...well [word deleted] honestly.
But then I saw the link to Games Workshop and I ended up searching on the internet which led me to a LOTR gaming site.

It was from this site that a whole new world opened up to me and I learn't about what was actually out there.

Point I am trying to make is...I learned about this hobby via an (wait for it)...

ADVERTISEMENT via a magazine.

The business created for GW via BGIME must have been (and I know was) phenominal !

So have they learned from this....

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thinking it through, they probably couldn't repeat the BGiME phenomenon with the Hobbit minis, because the attached minis would price the magazines out of reach. Plus everything is plastic or resin nowadays and so there would be too many breakages I suspect.