All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:35 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Metal Models a dying product for GW
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
I spent HOURS using green stuff filling all the parts on the mini that had airbubbles or simply wasn't completely cast. Such a shame.

GW LOOK AT THE ABOVE QUOTE!

I think I can speak for the community when I say that us hobbyist don't want to pay a premium price for something like finecast and then have to spend "Hours" fixing it with modelling putty(unless fixing models for hours puts a smile on your face, then ok).

Where as metal never had such issues and was like 10-15% cheaper(Perhaps)?

In addition I would like to say to 'SouthernDunedain' that I don't think they should have given you finecast replacements, I mean, after all, you did pay GW for products that, you, thought were made of metal at the time of purchase. I'm no lawyer but Id say that is legally wrong, as technically they did give you a product replacement that you did not pay for, as FC and Metal are different. You paid for metal not some white stuff with bubbles.

Like I have said FC is generally a 'no no' for me, however if it comes to it I may buy finecast more readily if there is no other way. FC is a good material for larger figures I think. Although holding a metal LOTR dragon is a nice feeling, dropping it on the tiles is not. Therefore I think it has a place almost our large figures as it is easier to assemble and it is so light that it should not take to harshly to the floor, like metals.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Err what? I think you have me mistaken for someone else mate. And can we keep this away from a 'OMG I HATE FINECAST!!!' please?

Mid Sussex Wargamers

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah that was Boseafus that said that not SD

Check out my WIP! :meh:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok yes it was Boseafus not sure how that came on my quote screen.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Besides, they replaced it with a more expensive product. It's not legally wrong, it's just compensation. I ordered Saruman and Grima right before they got coverted to FC, but I ended up getting 2 Grimas and no Saruman. I got a FC replacement, and the only thing wrong with them was that Saruman's staff broke off. I have since converted one of the extra Grimas to Denethor, and the other to Pallando.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

lordgoober wrote:
what's so FRUSTRATING about this and probably the real PR blunder here is that they DID NOT ANNOUNCE that this metal culling was happening.

Haha, yep. I'd been putting off picking up the batleship I needed to finish my BFG fleet and now without any warning they're gone forever and I can only finish my fleet (which I've already sunk quite a few hours and quite a lot of money into) if I'm lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time with the necessary funds to be able to snag one on ebay. For me, this is probably the most annoying thing GW have ever done.

I've no idea how many other models there are that I've been meaning to get around to buying that have now vanished, but I'm guessing it's the death knell for most of the LotR range.

I'm surprised at how many WHFB and WH40k models they're going to be writing off with this move, too. Sad.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think more metals have been taken down!

Can't be certain but I thought the mounted version of Legolas and Gimli and Legolas on horseback on his own were still available to buy from GW. Not any more.

Nothing else has jumped out at me yet but there could be other things too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm 
The single Legolas on horseback isn't available for quite some time now...definetly more than a year! Gimli and Legolas disappeared around 2 months ago!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:04 pm 
Dark Lord of Moria
Dark Lord of Moria

I have bought an uncounted amount of miniatures from Games Workshop, and out of all that, I have had only 3 occasions to return products that were faulty. In my honest opinion, Games Workshop aftersales process is excellent. On all 3 occasions, I never got any quibble from them, they replaced the items straight away. Yes, I did have to travel back to their shop each time, which cost me money, but on all 3 occasions, I walked away with a replacement and the defective item.

With every company, you are going to get defective items.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
The single Legolas on horseback isn't available for quite some time now...definetly more than a year! Gimli and Legolas disappeared around 2 months ago!

Fair enough. Wasn't sure about Legolas alone but Legolas+Gimli felt as though it was still available pretty recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well I just tried to order Grimbold's Helmingas Command (I think that's what it was called?) and it's no longer available.

Another one bites the dust perhaps :/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:05 am 
Yup! Aswell as Duinhir, DAlamyr etc (those are still on the website, but the will be shipped in 4 weeks which means they will be transformed into finecast! I guess July will be major rerelease month...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Can anyone confirm these rumours? I'm really curious about any finecrap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A delay in the availability of metal products USUALLY indicates that the model is either being OOPd completely, finecasted or they are in the process of casting more. Eomer, Knight of Pelenor has been at 4 weeks lead time several times yet he is still metal.

Mid Sussex Wargamers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 pm 
SouthernDunedain wrote:
A delay in the availability of metal products USUALLY indicates that the model is either being OOPd completely, finecasted or they are in the process of casting more. Eomer, Knight of Pelenor has been at 4 weeks lead time several times yet he is still metal.

Ok thank you very much for that information! I asked in my GW and they told me that they had a case like this where the model was transformed into finecast! But I guess you are right ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

These are those I have found that have gone on long lead-time (sorry it's a bit hard top read but it was harder finding out about this cull):

Mahud Blowpipes; Corsair Arbalesters; Dunlendings (other than hand-weapon); Uruk Shamen; Feral Uruk Hai; Twilight Ringwraiths; Grishnakh; Kardush; Arvedui and Malbeth; Halbarad (both single-figure variants); Arnor Command; Grey Company; Beregond; Pippin Citadel Guard; Minas Tirith Command 1; Minas Tirith Command 2; Tirith Standard Mounted; Theodred Foot and Mtd; Gamling Foot; Grimbolds Command; Isildur Foot and Mounted; Serpent Guard; Dalamyr; Elendil; Numenor Bows; Dwarf Warrior Axe; Rivendell Elrond; Cirdan; Dying Boromir; Frodo and Sam 1; Frodo and Sam 2; Sam Frodo Orc Armour; Frodo Sam Ponies; Merry Pippin Ponies; Farmer Maggott; Bilbo Baggins; Bullroarer Took; Radagast; Wildmen of Dunland; Khandish Horsemen Box; Khandish Horseman Blister; orc shamen on warg; Morgul Stalkers; Armoured Goblin Warriors; Armoured Goblin Bowmen; Shade; Hobbit Shirrifs; Death of Gothmog; No Man Can Kill Me; Mahud Raider; Cave Troll Hammer (and chain); Haradrim Horseman Chieftain Ft Mtd; Easterlings; Duinhir..... that's all I know of, there may be more.

I just feel sick typing this........ hope it helps someone. :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Jeez. I go away for a few months and come back to this. o_O

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If this proves to be true, then... well. It'll be a shame to say the least. I did notice on Saturday that all Dunlendings bar those with hand weapon had changed status to "within four weeks" which I have to say did raise concern. But I didn't know so many had changed.

Funnily enough I also bought the Uruk Shaman just the day before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well a mate of mine just got an order of 5 blisters of arbalesters through so nothing wrong with their lead time...unless he got the last ones lol.

Mid Sussex Wargamers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Additional showing as 4 weeks to despatch (whatever that means) :

Aragorn Amon Hen
Aragorn Weathertop
Meriodoc Esquire of Rohan
Gimli Amon Hen
Dwarf Warrior Bow
Sam and Bill
Merry and Pippin 1
Merry and Pippin 2
Mahud King Foot and Mounted
Mordor Catapult Troll

I notice GW still let you add any number of these "doomed" blisters to your cart, checkout (and no doubt pay - er didn't try that bit!), but it still states "This product is expected to despatch within four weeks."

Does anyone have an idea what will be delivered to you within the 4 week period if you were to buy these now?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next