All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:35 pm

Post subject: Oin's "Prognostication"?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It says that a friendly model may "re-roll a single dice in a fight", does that mean that the friendly model may re-roll a a failed to wound roll?
 Post subject: Re: Oin's "Prognostication"?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My interpretation would be that the 'fight' is the duel roll. Anything beyond is described as rolling to wound instead, so no i'd say it wouldn't be used to re roll to wound.

VG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That would indeed sound logical VC, but they have been so specific with their language in the rest of the rules, and I would have expected them to use the either the wording from the banner rules, or said that he has the same effect as a banner. Under the present wording the whole fight would appear to be covered, with no exception from the "Duel" or "to wound" elements of the fight phase, which would make Oin seriously useful!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Bilbo wrote:
It says that a friendly model may "re-roll a single dice in a fight", does that mean that the friendly model may re-roll a a failed to wound roll?

Can't really add a great deal of insight here, although for the two cents my interpretation of the rule is the same as VC's.

Cheers,
Gandalf :gandalf:

Who leaned upon a thorny staff.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have just spoken to GW Kensington who have said that the re-roll can be applied to either the "Duel" roll or the "To Wound" roll, which suddenly kicks Oin combined with Bombur up a massive knotch!

I have Oin half painted and intend to have him finished before the day is out, which leaves me with just Thorin to paint so that my cousin and I can field the complete Thorin's Company. Game on next weekend! I have about a set and a half of mainly converted and undercoated Goblin Town decking to finish and will get working on that to give us enough scenery.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Certainly glad I planned on including him in my upcoming dwarf project then!

VG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would take what local GW's say with a pinch of salt. They often don't have much clue on the finer workings of SBG. Best thing to do would be to email GW FAQ department. Won't get an answer straight away but it'll probably be included in the next FAQ.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bizarre timing this, having spent all day playing my first set of games with some of Thorin's Company in a mini tournament and including Oin (Southy I don't see any reason to tell the good people of the internet where I came in said tourney :E ).

Personally, I think the wording is pretty clear, "re-roll a single dice in a fight" it makes no mention of a duel, nor does it imply that it works in the same way as a banner. This is a unique special rule, not a model that counts as a banner, therefore I believe the rule can be used to either win the fight or wound.

However, assuming that is the case then you must also assume that you can use the rule to re-roll a Heroic Strike, a Piercing Strike, a Fate roll or indeed, any dice involved in a Fight.

That's certainly how I see it and how I will play it (assuming the opponent agrees beforehand) but of course it's just my opinion. Bear in mind that this isn't an automatic rule, it's a rule that can only be used once per turn and only 4 times per game (assuming Bombur/Gandalf etc. don't restore Oin's Will) which seems like a reasonable special rule.

Finally, despite all these possibilities, having used him in 3 games today, I never once wanted to use it to wound. As you only get so few chances per game, I found I wanted to save Oin's Will for those horrific turns where Thorin rolls 3 1s when he's trapped and needs a hand and not for the chance of doing an extra wound. Re-rolling a Heroic Strike however, could well be game changing...

Just my 2 cents

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Reading the rule alone can make it sound a bit powerful, but I suppose once you see it in the context of a battle it seems much more reasonable, as your input suggests, good Doctor.

VG