All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:15 pm

Post subject: Gollum and the Ring.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Though it is not specifically mentioned, I take it that Gollum is not effected by the "Removing the Ring" and "Sauron's Will" special rules?
 Post subject: Re: Gollum and the Ring.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Why's that? I can't see any reason to assume that he ignores these rules. Bilbo's profile specifically states the parts of the Ring rules he ignores, Gollum's has no such exceptions so I'd assume he's affected by the ring as per the normal rules.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would be great to have this FAQed as it will have a massive impact upon how he is used!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hey Bilbo, not trying to sound argumentative but I don't see why it needs to be FAQ'd. Why would Gollum not be affected by these rules? I can't see anything to assume that he wouldn't be so we must assume that he is.

You could equally ask if Frodo and Isildur are affected by these rules (which they are) as it doesn't say anywhere that they aren't.

It specifically says in Bilbo's profile that he's unaffected by the rules. Bilbo's the exception, Gollum follows the rules as normal.

Stil, if you're in any doubt, email GW on Gamefaqs@gwplc.com and hopefully they'll include it in the next set.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

the wording of the rules about the ring actually go on the assumption that only good models will be carrying it

look under sauron's will section at the botton of the first paragraph
" On a score of 1 or 2 the Evil player moves the ringbearer instead of the Good player"
No copyright infringement intended

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi DG,

Grungehog has hit the nail on the head with: "
Grungehog wrote:
the wording of the rules about the ring actually go on the assumption that only good models will be carrying it"

look under sauron's will section at the botton of the first paragraph
" On a score of 1 or 2 the Evil player moves the ringbearer instead of the Good player"
No copyright infringement intended
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm fairly sure that if Gollum picks up the ring he instantly puts it on and just leaves the battlefield;

`Once Gollum puts the ring on he will run away and never be heard of again. The model is removed and counts as a casualty.`

If that's the case then Gollum never has to interact with any of the special rules regarding the ring.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

With the Goblin Town Gollum in the Hobbit rule book, you may field him with the ring provided that there is not another ring bearer on the board, which actually should make him seriously useful.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah I see, I was looking in the Mordor book so I was very confused about why this discussion was happening. Thanks for clearing that up!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Easily done mate, after all there have been 5 editions of the game with I believe 3 currently playable sets of rules to represent the characters development over the course of the books.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The rules for the ring are written under the assumption that the Ringbearer is a Good model (as Frodo, Bilbo and Isildur are). The use of 'Good' in the rules is not meant to apply only to 'Good' models but as a way of differentiaitng the players for sake of rules clarity. saying the 'Good' or 'Evil' player moves the ringbearer is easier than saying 'the player who controls Bilbo' or 'the player who doesn't control Bilbo'.

There is also a reference in the Hobbit Manual FAQ to Evil v Evil games and how 1 side essentially 'becomes' good for the game for the purposes of roll-offs and that all references to 'Good models' essentially become 'friendly models'.

In the case of Gollum and the removing the ring rule the phrase 'Good player' means 'controlling player'

Again, I must stress that it says nowhere whatsoever that Gollum, Frodo, old Bilbo or Isildur ignore these rules but it specifically states that young Bilbo does. Why would we assume that Gollum is not affected by these rules? Particulalry when they're so incredibly appropriate to him?!?!? Surely there's just as much ground to argue that Old Bilbo, Isildur and Frodo should also ignore these rules?!?!? :?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:14 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Right, I know I have been asked not for a RTFM post before but this is one of those times. You've spent money on the rulebook. Go read it.

Dr G has it right I'm afraid. The rules are very clear. It doesn't need to be FAQ'd. Which is why I am puzzled as to why there is so much debate :? They cannot write exactly what each model can or cant do otherwise we'd have a rule book 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 pages long. Unless it specifically says a model can/can't do something special, then assume the opposite.

And having played against the very guy who wrote the book, I can definitely tell you gollum is affected by the ring (nice bloke btw).

As the G man said, if it really bothers you that much, then email the FAQ team and provide them with some late night entertainment. -- edited by the moderator --

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've always played him with Evil needing a 1 or 2 to control him if he's wearing The Ring. I figured that;
1) He's a steal at 35 points anyway, so I can live with a bit of a downside.
2) It's RAW.
3) It's totally thematic. He's been wearing it for 500 years and is a little unhinged.

I can see Dr Grant's reasoning and I'd certainly be happy playing it that way, 'cos it makes him even better. Gollum is badass in low point games and you rarely see Ringbearers at tourneys. I've taken Gollum and Frodo to a couple of events (and had SuicidalMarsbar's dastardly and treacherous Bilbo brutally murder heroic, noble Erkenbrand at the weekend), but ringbearers are rare at events. Shame really, it is Lord of the RINGS, after all.

Gollum = Boss.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I shall look forward to using him next week!