All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:31 am

Post subject: Eaothen's Easterling army
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi all

It's been a while since I actually did something with my models. So recently I got back into it. I took a brake of my Khazad-Dum WIP, painting the same colours over and over again got me bored. So I set my eye on an other army I always liked, both in the books and the movies. I am talking about Easterlings (hence the title ofcourse, haha). In my collection, I had two boxes of Easterlings lying around. I already asseblemd them, but never really did anything with them. The day I bought them, the only troops you had were the metal Kataphrakt, the captain and banner and the basic infantry troops. So not much choice for playing. That's why I started playing gobs and Dwarfs instead.

Now, some years have passed.. Easterlings got a lot more options and I still had them lying around.. So... I made some conversions.
I love the heavy cavalry, they look so tearrifying! The only problem I had with them..
1. No light cavalry, which makes the heavy cavalry the only options, which costs a lot of points for your army.
2. No archers.

Especially the second problem bothers me the most. I mean, I got this from the LotR wiki after some research:
"... Easterling cavalry archers were uniquely skilled, and while riding kept their quivers slung at their sides. They learned to stand up in the saddle and release their arrows at the moment the horse's hooves were off the ground, allowing them to shoot more accurately than Rohan's horse archers."

That inspired me for creating some myself. I used the plastic Haradrim Serpent riders' horses and bottom-half of the rider. Doing this created some light cavalry horse archers. I also did this with two swordsmen, just to see what it'd look like.

Anyway, enough talking, let's get some pictures up!

Now, you might ask what the thing on the back of the horse is. Well.. I'm not sure. I just liked it as a sort of decoration, my Haradrim wouldn't be needing it anymore anyway haha.

Yes, on this photo, you can also see two heads from the horse's side. Gondorian soldiers decapitated. I also got this idea from the LotR wiki:
"... Easterlings also liked wearing battle trophies, talismans of victory that could inspire them to glory and riches and power and territory/region ownership and totems of fear that would intimidate their next opponents. This psychological warfare struck terror into their enemies and gave them an even greater advantage in battle"
What better way to make your enemy fear you than seeing heads of their dead friends as a trophy?
Here's a close-up

Last weekend, I also got my hands on some metal Kataphrakt, I found them in a hobby shop just across our Belgian border... The Netherlands!
I picked up a set of Easterling infantry (still with 20 soldiers for €20) and the metal riders (€35). I found it a good deal, knowing that the riders are OOP and you can only get the soldiers in sets of 10 these days.
Unfortunately.. Two of the swords broke of. They were badly bend. So I replaced them with some pikes!

For the foot soldiers, I converted some of them, as I have not assembled all of them yet, had a busy week at school.

And to finish it of... I made a house for my soldiers. It's still a WIP ofcourse, still have to add brickeffects, put some windows and a door in it and finish the roof.

I hope you liked reading this, as soon as I got more, I'll put it up here.
C&C are mostly welcome!

PS: does anybody have a nice idea how to paint the armour? I was thinking of a silver or bronze basecoat and drybrush it with gold. What do you guys do? Maybe show me with some pics if you can, that would be appreciated!

Jorn

Post subject: Re: Eaothen's Easterling army
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I really like your easterling conversions! Easterlings have always been one of my favorite factions.
For the armor I normally have done a base of black with coats of mithril silver followed by shining gold that is followed by a light drybrushing of tin-bitz to slightly darken the tone and a highlight of equal parts mithril silver and shining gold. But my favorite is my "Champion" Easterling (he had one game a while back where he killed about 20 Orcs singl handedly and here's his paint-job
(Please excuse the poor laying on of the paint this was before I understood you should water down paints)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice work on those conversions, i like the gondor heads sticking to the horse butt :)
make sure u get them painted up ;-) u got quite some backlog to work trough :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really nice conversions!, like you I've always fancied Easterlings but my focus shifted to Gondor and Mordor due to the lack of choice.

These are some of my warriors
And I painted them like this:
Loosely drybrush over black base coat:
1: Chainmail
2: Mithril silver
3: Shining gold
4: Burnished gold
5: Mithril silver (gently)
6: Finally a Devlan mud wash.
(Seeing this after a long time makes me wonder why I did that first Mithril silver drybrush.. guess it doesn't add much since it gets covered up anyway)

You can also find some tutorials in the Tomes of Wisdom section ;)

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Very nice conversions.
If I was to pick a colour scheme I would opt for Bartelomeus. It has a darker weathered look. The first Mithril coat will assist the final highlight.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love the Easterlings and your conversions are shaping up very nicely.
Here's mine:

Its a simple paint job; black base coat followed by Army Painter Gold on the armour , Mechrite Red on the cloth, the old Foundation paint brown on the sheild and a grey bry brush on the boots; then a simple wash of brown and your done. For the characters I just just added highlights of the base colours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I just had an idea, in case you are looking for alternative colour schemes.. it may be inspired by samurai armour, but what do you think of painting the scales black, with a slight metallic (silver?) line, so that theey may look like blackened steelplates..
you could combine the black with red or green on the cloth, or pretty much any colour you have in mind..
I've never painted an easterling, but I guess for an army of a dark lord dark armour would be more than suitable. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for all the comments you guys, it's much appreciated!
@JamesR: I really like the alternate colour, it suits him! However, I'm concentrating on painting them like in the movie, really like the gold.
@Bartelomeus & Crucium ginger: I really like your Easterlings. The colourshemes you gave me, I tried something like it, as you can see below. Thanks for the help!
@Rognarr: As said to James, I'm painting them like the ones in the movie, but I like your idea, you (or someone else maybe) should try it out. Thanks for the idea! :-)

Anyway, I started painting last night and continued a bit today. I tried something for the Armour, and this is what I came up with:

And a pic of the three men together with the house, to show you an idea of it's size:

I'm also working on a new house, but just cut out the cardboard pieces, so nothing new to show you there (yet) haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great thread and some fantastic ideas from all. I have just begun to paint mine after they had sat in their boxes for several years. I too am going for the look in the films.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you Odo, I looked at your Easterlings, I really like yours too!

Anyway, I've been busy with school this week, but I managed to get some things done. Painted all three Easterlings from before now, 2 horses and a rider.
Because of the bad weather and school, it was to dark to get clear pictures before, but here they are!
First the Easterlings (the pic is a little dark though.. the highlights on the robes aren't that clear, but you get the idea)

The horses (really like the dots on the grey one tbh):

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can't wait to see you paint the severed trophy heads.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looking good (the horses are very good), may I suggest a brown wash on the armour plates and red cloth to five them a bit of depth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So I have been busy lately with painting. I painted some Easterling warriors, elves and dwarfs and more..
Check out my other WIPs (which I shall edit in a sec) for those. Besides painting some warriors, I decided I wanted to give them a newer look basewise. I went for sand to give them more of a desertlook. I will add grassland tuffs later too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

When u talk about the devil u see his tail! I was just talking about u to Aaron, about how long it has been since we talked.
Nice work - another spec of sand done of that huge desert of unpainted mini's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It has indeed been a while, my friend. Now you know why :P
I guess these are some of the pros when being single that I have forgotten about..
This Saturday I'll visit a hobbyshop to get me some steppegrass/tuffs to give them the final touch!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice work, like what you've done with the horses.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk