All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Disengaged from combat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Pg. 22, 5th paragraph down from Charging Enemies wrote:
There are occasions when a model that was engaged in combat might find itself suddenly unengaged. When this happens, if the model’s chance to move has not yet passed, he may still do so.

I was looking over the rules last night and I was puzzled by this particular paragraph because I thought the rule was that once a model was locked into base contact, it cannot move any further in the Move phase.

This was mentioned in paragraph 4 under Charging Enemies and was also addressed in the FAQ (Black dart takes out a WoMT in combat = Orc cannot move) and in another thread (cannot compel a model out of combat).

So I'm having difficulty trying to find a situation where the above rule would apply.

Bouncing off this idea:

In a sorcerous blast situation where all the models in a combat are knocked prone, does it disengage the models from the fight (allowing models to stand/move if they haven't done so already) or is the fight carried out with everyone in the prone position (winner gets to stand up and loser remains prone)?

:?

Post subject: Re: Disengaged from combat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Interesting find.

I agree that there's a contradiction and for what it's worth I agree with the rulebook over the FAQ, I think the model should be free to move if its combatant has been killed. However that's what I think, not what is said and I think the GW ruling is the FAQ trumps Rulebook.

I don't think it affects the Command/Compel thing, as Cereal pointed out in the other thread if a model is in combat they can move no further that phase and you can only Compel someone who is free to move. If you were going by the quoted passage from the rulebook then if the model's opponent was killed in the Move Phase (by Black Dart) you could then Compel the remaining model.

Finally, in the Sorcerous Blast situation the way I've always played it is that both models on the floor still fight (after all, models on the floor can fight) and that the winner stands up.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks like a direct contradiction between the rulebook and FAQ indeed. When a model is engaged in combat, it is not allowed to move, but when it is no longer engaged, well, it can. According to the rulebook.
Another (more common) case could be throwing weapons. Gondor vs Harad, Good has priority. A Warrior of Minas Tirith charges a Corsair. When Evil gets to move, another Corsair charges into that same combat, but throws a dagger just before engaging. If the Warrior is killed, not only can the charging Corsair move on, but the other Corsair, who had not moved yet and is no longer engaged in combat, would be able to do so as well.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:
In the Sorcerous Blast situation the way I've always played it is that both models on the floor still fight (after all, models on the floor can fight) and that the winner stands up.

Thanks for the response! This makes the most sense to me as well :)

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Another (more common) case could be throwing weapons. Gondor vs Harad, Good has priority. A Warrior of Minas Tirith charges a Corsair. When Evil gets to move, another Corsair charges into that same combat, but throws a dagger just before engaging. If the Warrior is killed, not only can the charging Corsair move on, but the other Corsair, who had not moved yet and is no longer engaged in combat, would be able to do so as well.

Excellent example!

1) Would that Corsair model have to roll an ITW when charging into an opponent that is fighting a friendly model?

2) If you were to replace the Corsair with a Rohan warrior, would the Rohan warrior be allowed to throw a throwing spear at an opponent who is already fighting another Rohan warrior? (Good models do not “shoot” into combat)

These Q's are on a slightly different note but it's nice to explore situations where a model could be disengaged from a combat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) yes
2) no

They're still in combat, so the ITW/no good shooting still apply.