All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: The December Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Don’t get excited - I don’t have any exciting pics or news!

This time last year we had ‘The Hobbit Release Thread’ which was created on October 2nd and ran for 40 pages up to the start of January. It was a one-stop shop for all the info on GW’s releases as well as THE place to go on the forum to discuss rumours of the new models and the new models themselves. Obviously, we’re a bit later starting this time but hopefully we’ll get lots of people engaged over the next two weeks in time for what will hopefully be a great release.

So, the aim of this thread is to accumulate all the news and rumours we have about GW’s DOS release plans to build excitement over the next fortnight, as more news comes in, I’ll update the first post to reflect new rumours. I will keep my opinions out of the first post and just include rumours, my suspicions, along with everyone else’s, can be discussed in depth further down the thread.

Current Rumours (as always these are unconfirmed, take with a pinch of salt):

Weds 4/12 - 3 days until release day

Leaked rules and pictures start appearing from the DOS book.

Sat 30/11 - WD release day & Hobbit Pre-orders available.

Weds 27/11 - 3 Days until WD

Leaked WD pictures appear online.

Mon 25/11 - 5 Days until WD

A release list appeared online listing all the Hobbit releases along with their US prices. These products were listed alongside the long-rumoured 40K and fantasy expansions (no Tyranids) and contain all the models that would have been produced in 2012 when there were still only two films. It makes logical sense as a first wave as all the figures featured have been shown in the trailers and other promotional material (very heavily in most cases). In addition the time-scale seems legit as, amongst other things, this is exactly the same time we received the (correct) release list for AUJ last year. Thanks to SouthernDunedain and Black1Blade for making the following UK pricing estimates based on current ranges and exchange rates.

Legolas (plastic) £15
Tauriel (plastic) £15
Palace guard (plastic) £25
Mirkwood Rangers (plastic) £25
Thranduil (Finecast) £12
Mirkwood captains (Finecast) £20
Palace guard captians (Finecast) £20
Thrain the Broken (Finecast) £12
Beorn (Finecast) £15
Mirkwood Spiders (finecast) £20
Desolation of Smaug book £20
Barrels out of Bond (Finecast) £40

21/11 - 8 days until WD

One report from a reliable source says he heard from his local retailer (who presumably might have a release list to order from by now) that there are no Tyranids in December but there is a Hobbit expansion. This would certainly be supported by the fact that, 8 days out from the WD release, there is still no more rumours about the Tyranids. A major 40K or fantasy release would almost certainly have a release list and rules rumours by this point which is promising for us Hobbit fans.

GW Digital Editions released a preview pic of a new digital product being released in December, the link's below:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

All the chatter seems to be about whether this is a deamon prince or Eldar or Tyranid but it could be Smaug's wing in the background and the hand could be the Necromancer holding a Palantir. After all, we have no real idea how the Necromancer will be portrayed in the film beyond the brief glimpse in AUJ and the Lego figure.

17/11 - 12 days until WD

There are rumours from reliable sources on other forums that there will NOT be a new starter set in December.

16/11 - 13 days until WD

GW have traditionally released their SBG miniatures in the December issue BEFORE the films come out. This trend happened for Fellowship, The Two Towers, Return of the King and, most importantly, An Unexpected Journey.

This means that we are likely to see the DOS of Smaug releases in the next White Dwarf that is released on Saturday 30th November and that the miniatures will be online around 12:01 on the 30th.

As of yet no firm news of models, books, starter sets has emerged.

There have been rumblings that the Smaug miniature has been delayed as Warner Bros weren’t happy with it, supposedly this has caused a delay in the release of some/all of the Hobbit range. Whether or not this would have an effect on the release schedule is a matter for discussion below BUT there is some evidence that might support this. In the Unexpected Journey Extended Edition, as Smaug breaks down the door to Erebor, there is a subtle change to one of the shots. In the shot that shows a close up of his legs walking forwards, the shot has been digitally changed and his two forelegs have been replaced with 2 claws on the tips of his wings. This implies that at some point in the last year PJ has changed Smaug’s design from a 4 legged dragon to a 2 legged Wyvern style design. This would certainly cause a redesign of the Smaug miniature to remove the surplus arms.

In conjunction with the Smaug rumour, rumblings emerged that the 40K Tyranids, long scheduled for release in January, had been moved up to December due to the delay in the Hobbit range. However, in the last week all the Tyranid rumours seem to have dried up and there has been no further news. It’s fairly unusual that 2 weeks out from a major 40K/Fantasy list that there wouldn’t be any news on model releases/prices etc. implying perhaps that the Tyranids are staying in January and December will indeed be a Hobbit month.

Most encouragingly it is NOT unusual for the less popular SBG market to not have any news two weeks out from release, to put it into context, here’s when we found out about things last year:

The White Dwarf announcing The Hobbit:AUJ SBG was released Saturday November 24th 2012

15 days before WD: LOTR SBG will be re-branded ‘The Hobbit’ and be released with a limited edition starter set that contains scenery, the rules are LOTR SBG rules but with updates.

10 days before WD: Starter set called Escape From Goblin Town

5 days before WD: 30 second Teaser video on GW’s site. Full Release list and prices.

3 days before WD: Full description of the starter set contents and the new models. Leaked WD pictures later the same day.

7 hours before WD: People start to get hold of White Dwarf and post rules and full news updated.

So there we go, in the context of last year we shouldn’t really have had any news yet, we’ll probably have 1 more quiet week and then things should start to appear from next weekend onwards.

So, what do we all think? What models do we want to see? What models do we think we’ll see? Let the excitement commence!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

Last edited by Dr Grant on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:42 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm hoping for some new giant spiders! And a named spider queen! And some elite mirkwood guard!
I'm very excited for this release

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So here's my opinions/predictions:

Even if the Smaug news is true it shouldn't delay the December release as he was almost certainly not going to be in the first wave.

If there is a starter set it will contain something like: 6 Spiders, 12 Dol Guldur orcs, a couple of orc heroes, 12 Wood Elves, Leggy, Tauriel, Thranduil and some Mirkwood scenery

There will be a new Hardback Journey book, priced around £30 that contains all the profiles for both AUJ and DOS and the scenarios for DOS.

The first wave of miniatures released will be Mirkwood themed and only consist of stuff shown in the trailers:

Wood Elves
Dol Guldur orcs
Spiders
Leggy, Tauriel, Thranduil
Orc captains
The Finecast Thorin's Company shown in the Hobbit rulebook
Mirkwood scenery

I think that'll be all for December. I think we might then get a Laketown month in January (The Master, bard, Girrion, Alfrid, men of Laketown) and then the biggies (Smaug, Beorn, Necromancer) will be released gradually over the next few months.

Truly, truly excited about this, I couldn't care less about how much White Dwarf coverage we get (the last year has proven GW don't want to support the game through the magazine), just please, please, PLEASE give us a gorgeous new range of models and a book with all the profiles. PLEASE.

BRING. IT. ON.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Desolation of Smaug : Ultimate Bundle please , that will do my first one as i missed the AUJ one.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So hopefully we are looking at some information next week?

I think that we will see the same sort of boxed set as the EFGT but with Elves and Spiders. I also suspect that we will see a Lgolas and Tauriel in fine cast as well as an un armoured Thranduil that, few people will buy in anticipation of an later mounted armoured version on battle moose!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If the starter set is gonna be as Dr. Grant described it, and the models are of the quality we've seen thus far... I'd buy it in a heartbeat. (Although I'm also considering getting Dark Vengeance to expand my horizon :))

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Leggy and Tauriel I reckon will be in the box, but not Thandruil. I reckon they'll save him for a Finecast model.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hopefully ill know a week on monday when white dwarf arrives in store :twisted: im just hoping for a good variety to be released, keeping everybody happy and guaranteeing a good christmas! I predict a multi-part plastic spider kit and new orcs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So because your a store manager MoriaMadness will you be able to look before GW release the WD december issue ? and tell us what it up :D ( open a pack not yet ready to be sold in secret )
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I suspect that there will be a bunch of multipart plastic individuals along the lines of Radagast as Finecast has not exactly been an unqualified success.
As for what kit/box/blister comes out when, it really does not matter to me. Other than seeing the DoS film on the big screen at least once in 2D (3D just annoys me).

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm expecting the resin Thorin's company to be released (and maybe a few other alternate poses for Bilbo/Gandalf and the dwarves). I'm also hoping they do some wood elves, orcs and scenery. I'm hoping Bard comes out in December.

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bilbo wrote:
So hopefully we are looking at some information next week?

I think that we will see the same sort of boxed set as the EFGT but with Elves and Spiders. I also suspect that we will see a Lgolas and Tauriel in fine cast as well as an un armoured Thranduil that, few people will buy in anticipation of an later mounted armoured version on battle moose!

Battle Moose! That's funny. I wonder what the stats will be

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
Battle Moose! That's funny. I wonder what the stats will be

Maybe something a bit like the Mahud Camels?

I'm really hoping for an elven themed starter set, along with the elven warriors being released separately, just as the EfGT goblins were.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was rather disappointed the battle moose was not included in the previous releases. Radagast's Rhosgobel Rabbits were a small consolation. So I really hope it will be part of this films releases, it would be sad to have another moose-less year.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Dear lord let there be Beorn!

Visible at 1:25 coming from the woods:
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxvEHrVHEKE

And here at 0:39:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs

He seems massive!
Loving it :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My predictions (though obviously not all will come at once, I'd speculate some elves and spiders first, since they've probably been either done or nearly done for quite some time) for the film are as follows:

All main (and likely secondary) characters are almost certainly a given. So long as they have a name and lines, GW will probably want to use them (unless they scale things back a lot). I'm not sure on the company though, since they seem to change clothes at Laketown (and the posters have them in armour - though they might save that for TABA). Possibly the Finecast version of the company at last (though I'd rather a general release of the plastic sprue, since I imagine i could get a new car for the price of the finecast compny). There's two different versions of Legolas and Tauriel, too - one in armour, and the other in their travelling clothes (Legolas' appear to be very similar to his LotR clothes, but with the exception of Orcrist).

At least two different Mirkwood elf troop types, maybe three. There's the Scouts, the Royal Guard style pikemen, and possibly some third option which seems to be an armoured scout/ standard soldier).

Spiders.

The Dol Guldor orcs are interesting, but i could see them saving them for TABA (which otherwise might have only a few releases).

The Laketown guards are a likely option, I'd bet. Probably in plastic.

Of what's coming, I'm looking forward to finally being able to build a proper Mirkwood army. The release of laketown guards might tempt me into grabbing some of the Dale plastics, too.

Character wise, I can't wait to see what they do with Beorn and the Necromancer (who i imagine would be tricky to sculpt, unless his appearance changes in this movie). Also got fingers crossed for ghostly nazgul to put in another appearance.

I doubt a starter set, honestly, and would expect just a supplement. But that list seems to cover a similar number of sets as we got last time (though obviously without bothering to count, because i'm lazy).

Looking to the future is the interesting bit, though - TABA is going to be cool. Dain, obviously. Iron hills Dwarves (on boars). Giant plastic bats to dogfight the Eagles. The company in full armour, Thranduil in full armour. Another Azog? Rivendell elves on foot, if the Battle of Dol Guldur is going to be a true battle (Jackson describes it as a reverse Helms Deep)?

And to think that somewhere they've got to find room for a Dragon. My, my, my.

Speaking of Smaug, what do people expect? Finecast? Plastic? I'm hoping for a plastic kit, large (though obviously still shrunk) and hopefully modelled in flight, using one of those fancy new 40k flying stands the jets go on.

Bad news, maybe, for Moose lovers though: the back of Thranduil's throne appears to be composed of a pair of giant Moose antlers. It's a bit touching, really. He must have really loved that Moose to keep it around for so long.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah the Moose must of died after thranduil left the dwarves to fight Smaug on their own , there is a few seconds where it shows Thorin looking up to the highest peak and seeing an elven army , with thranduil riding the battle moose in the film this should of been in AUJ mini releases tbh.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Perhaps they had him for dessert?
I think that we will get a much wider and more interesting range of miniatures for this film, particularly as I suspect that G.W. have made miniatures that had to be held back because of the last minute tinkering with the films!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Moose only have a life span of 15-25 years, so of course his steed in the first film is dead.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I had a look at the desolation lego.It gave me an idea of what might come out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 51  Next