All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:54 pm

Post subject: Movement trays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I was wondering for the infantry movement trays, if I didn't glue the models down, could I at one point during the battle take the infantry off? Like lets say I just want to move three troops ahead could I? Or take them all off and just put them where they were?

Post subject: Re: Movement trays
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SBG/TH: Sure. But what point level do you play that you would need a movement tray?
WOTR: No, removing models is only allowed when they are casualties.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't see any reason that you would glue models into the movement tray. You need to be able to remove casualties and you would want to be able to play SBG.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Denizen wrote:
SBG/TH: Sure. But what point level do you play that you would need a movement tray?
WOTR: No, removing models is only allowed when they are casualties.

I am definitely not doing WoTR. The point value is 2500.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Why on earth would you possibly want to glue your miniatures to movement trays for the Strategy Battle Game? Do you understand how the game is played?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is getting out of hand, lets bring it back a bit.

I don't know of anyone who glues models to movement trays as you need to remove them as casualties. If you need to keep the models attached to the tray for some reason you can always use blue tack (sticky tack), weights or most efficiently, magnets, though the magnets may be a little tricky to do.

Movement trays were becoming popular before WOTR, but they weren't released until later if I remember correctly. The idea is to be able to move your troops much faster by having them on the tray and has the added benefit of not accidentally knocking them over and causing damage. So in essence, you can do whatever you want with them - there is no rules in SBG which dictate how to use them from what I recall. They are only usable until you decide to move models out of the tray as you have said. I would use them for the first few turns then remove them as I would most likely not be wanting to have them in that formation/alignment from a few turns in.

There is no points recommendation for using movement trays - if you have 8 units you want to keep together and you already have the trays, it is logical to use the trays. If you don't have them, it takes a few moments longer as you move each individual model.

I thin you have mentioned 2500 pts a few times, so I am assuming you want to have armies that big (as a 40k/WHFB player would aim to do). Can I suggest that you play a few games, even if it is by yourself with 250-500 pts of models in the near future or go on youtube to get a hang of the game. Search for Great British hobbit league or LOTR SBG Battles will give you some of the best quality vids that I know of on youtube. In fact, if I am correct and you have not played before or only once or twice, I would really encourage you to play a small skirmish by yourself - it can teach you the tactics you need to develop (as long as you try to win with both forces evenly). GL HF!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice post Hodush

Hodush wrote:
Can I suggest that you play a few games, even if it is by yourself with 250-500 pts of models in the near future or go on youtube to get a hang of the game.

Very much agree, a few smaller games are necessary to get a sense of the game. We've rarely played more than 800 - 1000 points
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi ArnorForTheWin, we're all here to help if you're struggling to get your head around the rules etc right now. It can be very daunting for a new player!

2500 points would take a few days to play so I would suggest starting with a war band or two at 250 to 500 points-ish

You only really need movement trays for War of the Ring as that game uses formations rather than the skirmish style of SBG. Although you deploy as a war band, it's more for army building that you use war bands. Once deployed, each model is an individual and can move as such :)

I hope this helps! How old are you pal? :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thermo wrote:
Hi ArnorForTheWin, we're all here to help if you're struggling to get your head around the rules etc right now. It can be very daunting for a new player!

2500 points would take a few days to play so I would suggest starting with a war band or two at 250 to 500 points-ish

You only really need movement trays for War of the Ring as that game uses formations rather than the skirmish style of SBG. Although you deploy as a war band, it's more for army building that you use war bands. Once deployed, each model is an individual and can move as such :)

I hope this helps! How old are you pal? :)

I am definitely in over my head. My rulebook is really outdated. The only problem with keeping it small is my friend has Mumakmil and tons of warriors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Don't fret. Your book is old but the basic rules are the same. Just start with small battles to get the hang of the rules and larger ones after you have the hang of it :)
Movement trays are unneeded in SBG, there's really no real use for them.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ArnorForTheWin wrote:

I am definitely in over my head. My rulebook is really outdated. The only problem with keeping it small is my friend has Mumakmil and tons of warriors.

The basic mechanics of the game have not changed since it was introduced, so whatever version of the rules you have will be fine for now. As long as you have a profile for the models you want to use you can get the hang of it. I'd start off with something very simple, say 8 models each, regular troops. Then after a few games have another with some heroes this time. Then try horses. Then monsters and special creatures. Introduce a new special rule or concept each time. But keep it very simple until you get the hang of it. You don't learn to drive on a motorway. Most of all, have fun!