All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Enjoy! Very cool move on GW's part I think

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =29900002a

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow.. just noticed the mirkwood heroes face paint jobs... I guess their theme this year was derp.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There you have it, the Palace Guard do indeed actually look good (as they appeared in the trailers).. but just not when seen from the front. Removing the earflaps from those helmets would improve them a lot I think.

Looks like Thranduil has an air bubble in the tip of his nose (i.e. that part is missing because of an air bubble). Right index finger blends in with his sword a bit, appears to have a bubble as well. Gotta love finecast.

Legolas' paintjob is bad indeed, those eyes.. but then again, the entire face is terrible, not jut because of the paint. The Ranger captains have some issues too, or am I alone in thinking the male captain has a more feminine face, while the female captain looks more masculine?

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on Tauriel and a warband of Rangers to lead, anybody know of a webshop offering, say, between 50 and 75% off?

Still wondering what the justification is for the strictly seperated use of bow types between male and female Mirkwood Elves...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Still wondering what the justification is for the strictly seperated use of bow types between male and female Mirkwood Elves...

Recurve bows like the ones the female elves use require less physical strength from the user, so they would fit a female, who is stereotypically less muscular. (I think, I'm no expert on archery or anything).

Slightly worrying news about Bolg being renamed to a Gundabad General for them, but not really all that surprising. He was such a big thing in the promotion for the first film, and then ... didn't appear, except for being hit by Dwalin's axe for half a second. It does make me wonder what all the other toy companies who made Bolg figures are going to do with them now, if he has been cut for good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:

Yay! Cheers GW, that supplement of the AUJ profiles is a nice gesture. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a journey/sourcebook for the ones working with the pocket size rulebook like me. :)

Gotta see the palaceguard IRL but the Rangers are definitely on the want-list.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What do you think the 3 new pints match scenarios will be?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

black1blade wrote:
What do you think the 3 new pints match scenarios will be?

Whatever it is I'm sure people will be left feeling drunk after the game. 3 pints are huge to swallow for most. :)

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
The Ranger captains have some issues too, or am I alone in thinking the male captain has a more feminine face, while the female captain looks more masculine?

Good thing they're in plastic and not FC or metal. Now you can easily head swap them. :rofl:

The tell-tale sign for me during this release is:

in (Canadian) $30 plastic hero = $30 Finecast hero
And a metal troll used to cost $30.

This totally tells which direction the miniature ranges are heading in the future. Right now this is just testing of waters to see if we'll buy expensive plastic heroes when most of us here (not me) dreamt of the day that plastic will take over from metal due to it being cheaper budget wise as well as for hobby reasons. Well that is just not the case as it shows. The increases are very disapointing, as to be expected.

Enough on that. I do like the Thranduil model, but I'll wait for an armoured version and him mounted on his carribou. I'm not digging the poses of the rangers all that much except for a few. I don't like the back arching. If I can chose between a Broken Thrain or a Badass Thrain, I'll choose Badass Thrain every single time so no thank you to that model. Besides the material used, Legolas and Tauriel does not meet the price tag in terms of detail compared to Finecast IMO. The Palace Guards are cool looking, they better be they're palace guards, elves on top of that. Beorn is cool, I'll pick him up down the line.

Overall though I'm not impressed mostly due to the quantity and for some the quality over the new price. They keep pushing that envelope.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Excuse me if this has already been talked about, but concerning the palace guards: How come the box set came with six elves with spears, four elves with shields, and then six shields ... ??? I'm just a little confused on this because I would have thought that in a plastic set of ten warriors, they might split it 50/50 swords and spears and then either give us five shields for the sword guys or 10 shields for the whole group. And if not how come they didn't add in two more guys with swords to make it an even warband of 12 with six shields for all the swordsmen.
Genuinely curious, I hope I'm not missing anything.

Besides that I really like the palace guards. Ever since the trailer came out I have been hoping and wishing for GW to make models of these guys! I think the rangers are OK too, I just don't like a few of the poses that they have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The sprues aren't up for display yet, we don't know if the box only comes with six shields. After all, the Warriors of Erebor box only showed six of the guys with shields, but the set came with 12 shields total.
A theory that's already been suggested is that we're supposed to buy the two finecast captains to fill up the warband with even numbers of spear guys and sword guys.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Goldman25 wrote:
The sprues aren't up for display yet, we don't know if the box only comes with six shields. After all, the Warriors of Erebor box only showed six of the guys with shields, but the set came with 12 shields total.
A theory that's already been suggested is that we're supposed to buy the two finecast captains to fill up the warband with even numbers of spear guys and sword guys.

Ah, but from the GW product info on the website:

Quote:
The 10 Palace Guard miniatures can be assembled as 6 spearmen and 4 swordsmen. There is also the option to add 6 shields.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... od2330097a

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah, I hadn't read the product info. Well spotted! In that case ... I dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mmm, its definitely a weird one that they'd make a box of 10 for 6 spears, 4 swords, 6 shields... does make you wonder what thought process went into that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

turwaitheon wrote:
I personaly think that the Elven warriors seen in AUJ will also, at some point, be released. I hope.

I would love that as well but, it all depends on how well the range does1 In particular I would like to see a mounted Thranduil on Battle Moose (as briefly touched on earlier!). I shan't be buying the present Tharanduil certainly if there are rules for him in armour and mounted, as with the first Celeborn produced he was made obsolete by the later release of an armoured version. G.W. have a trick they use to make you buy unarmoured versions of heroes, then later release the same character but with better equipment. They have already done this with Elrond in the Hobbit range, so once bitten, twice shy!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Potential SPOILERS here folks. Also rampant speculation, but hat's the internet for you.

I've been dwelling on the 8 scenarios. Particularly the rumour that the last 3 are linked, or else portray different stages of some large conflict.

I've also, using a dark and powerful magic (it sounds like Goo Nube), been listening through the leaked OST, and i think I've got a rough version of events.

Scenario 1. Gandalf and Thrain. We know the film opens in Bree, with Gandalf and Thorin discussing the quest, there's said to be the flashback here showing Thrain's part in Azanulbizar, and his subsequent capture, and finding by gandalf. We can guess from Trailers (and the mini itself) that this finding is not initially friendly, as Thrain is quite mad.

Scenario 2. Company VS Spiders. Possibly Elves to the Rescue after a certain point, going off the lego sets.

Scenario 3. Barrels out of Bond. Big river, loads of Elves, Orcs and Azog. Moving Dwarves as objectives, perhaps - using the new finecast set.

Scenario 4. Gandalf in Dol Guldur. Sauron is revealed in his full glory about half way through the film, based on the ost building into a frankly epic rendition of the mordor theme. Gandalf snoops around Dol Guldur, fights bolg possibly (going off an action figure twin pack showing bolg and an injured gandalf) but is eventually overpowered - possibly by Sauron himself - and placed in the cage we see him in in the trailer.

Scenario 5. Laketown. We know from interviews that PJ splits he company here temporarily (in order to give more screen time to lesser members, as well as a broader perspective on what's going on). We also know tat Legolas (with Orcrist) and Tauriel fight Orcs in Laketown. Presumably, Azog has tracked the company there and decides to kill everyhing. So a nice fight, with some heroes, and Laketown guards, perhaps.

Scenario 6. Part one of the three part fight. Beorn and Radagast rescue Gandalf (based off the Lego set), and get the hell out of dodge.

Scenario 7. The wizards and Beorn are pursued through mirkwood, but rescued by Thranduil (based on two sources - first, from a preview clip of an orc interrogation we know Thranduil knows about Sauron's return, and he looks positively terrified by it, secondly, during the final few tracks of the OST we get treated to a very martial rendition of Thranduil's theme from AUJ).

Scenario 8. All out war in mirkwood as Thranduil's army tries to stop the Orcs of Dol Guldur. Big battle, and our first real high points value, high model count battle for the hobbit. A fitting climax.

Now there's a problem, and you've probably seen it. No Smaug. Couldn't fit him in, and we know that there's an epic battle between him and e Dwarves whilst Scenarios 6,7 and 8 are going on. My theory - the rumours of WB dicking GW about are true. If Smaug HAS to be a £100+ massive two foot long plastic kit/forgeworld mini or nothing, then gw might just decide that he's not going to justify the expense of creating such a miniature considering the sales of their AUJ stuff, and pending the reception of DoS. If DoS does well for Gw, THEN they might do it and put rules/scenario in the box as a leaflet. Just a hunch to patch over an obvious missing part of my list, but I'm afraid it feels possible.

What do you guys think? Right, about right, way off? It at least shows that they can get all the major action sequences covered in the 8 scenarios they're bringing, which gives me hope that this isn't just "Codex: Mirkwood-then-we-quit". :)

Can't wait for the book! Hopefully i'm not too far off!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I didn't know that was where the film begins, and I don't reckon Gandalf Vs Thrain will be a whole scenario. A 1 on 1 battle doesn't seem like it'd be a set scenario, it's just too small. Maybe it'll be part of Gandalf's capture instead, and we'll get a Smaug vs Dwarves scenario or something. Or a Dwarves vs Elves battle, when they capture the Company in Mirkwood.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

WD has one hundred and fifty pages and includes images of new releases, and not a single article to support the Desolation of Smaug! I honestly would expect a scenarion or a painting guide!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
Coenus Scaldingus wrote:

Recurve bows like the ones the female elves use require less physical strength from the user, so they would fit a female, who is stereotypically less muscular. (I think, I'm no expert on archery or anything).

Nah, bow shape will alter the pull of the bow (straight types like longbows are vary gradual and smooth, recurves take a bit more effort at first, then draw smoothly and are pretty tough in the last few inches) but not the strength per se - that's thickness and especially material. Composite recurves can be as strong as longbows, indeed stronger than those. Weaker archers could easily use very similarily shaped bows.. and it's not like those male Elves are very muscular anyway! (Aside from the new, broad Legolas, obviously)
If anything, I would expect males to prefer recurves.. I know I do!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/conte ... =29900002a

Oooh wow! Thank you so much for that. I didn't think Games Workshop had it in them!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Creaky wrote:
Potential SPOILERS here folks. Also rampant speculation, but hat's the internet for you.
Can't wait for the book! Hopefully i'm not too far off! SNIP....

Leaked soundtrack? WHERE??!

EDIT: Come on guys - no need to quote GIGANTIC bodies of text to add 3 words to the conversation. Its a waste of bandwidth. Quote the body of text then cut the majority out and add the word SNIP to the end.

Cheers
DMS
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

orc-archer wrote:
Farmer Maggot wrote:
Anyone else notice Bolg is now Gundabad Orc General?

No no no this isn't happening, this pretty much confirms that Bolg is getting a new design. What a shame!

He was Bolg in the credits, at least in the cinema. Will have to check the EE DVD. Pity, I liked the design a lot. At least the model itself is sticking around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 51  Next