All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 4:35 am

Post subject: New to game and Forum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all,

This is just a quick post to introduce myself to the forum :)

I am totally new to the game, one month old to be precise. for the past year or so I have been looking for a new hobby as my old addiction of computer games became stale and always made me feel.... regretful of the time I committed to the virtual life as it had nothing to show. No real achievement other than bragging to my friends.

On the weekends I take my soon to be One year old son to the local play gym. On site there is an advertisement board. It was here I found the flyers for Orc war battles. A table top gaming community a lad from my village was putting together there in the play gym its self on an eve. I had always known about this kind of gaming in the form of warhammer/40k but had no idea there was a LOTR universe too! Well my face lit up and I like my son was running around the play gym in much excitement. From here I booked myself in for the "into to the game" day and found myself instantly hooked! I really love the collecting and painting side of the hobby and love the social side of the game.

As always I favour the side of evil... Heroes make me ill... especially the sickly sweet elf's... so I took it upon myself to stand alongside Saruman and join the army of Isengard. I have only had two games in the time I have started this BUT I have already built my army of 500+ ready to crush the saccharine elven annoyances :)

Anyway.... Hello to all :)
 Post subject: Re: New to game and Forum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome to the game and the site! Hope you continue to enjoy both :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great first post. Welcome to the game !
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You want something to show for this? Try an empty wallet and an in curable addiction! It's great!

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the forum and the game. I always found Isengard one of the most intimidating factions to play against. Haha it seems you really have a grudge on the elves. What miniatures do you have so far?

Last edited by Constantine on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Be sure to share any war stories - especially if it involves trouncing do-gooders! :D
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you all for your kind welcome :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Isilduhrr wrote:
You want something to show for this? Try an empty wallet and an in curable addiction! It's great!

trust me i know this already.... i went to town this AM for one citadel paint and ended up spending £10 on 3 paints and some basing sand LOL
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Actually you should be able to acquire the basic plastics on eBay and possibly via an add in your local paper for the basic plastic Uruk hai that make up the back bone of most Isenguard forces. Also Saruman, Lurt, Grima, Ugluk and Uruk heroes were produced in massive numbers and are pretty easilly available at a discount on eBay as well.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I picked up most of my Uruk Hai on eBay quite recently - unpainted, still on the sprue, for half of what GW is currently charging. It's certainly worth checking out for some bargains - the Uruk captain and Banner carrier can usually be had for a nice price, too.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well done creaky, I bought all mine new quite literally the day they were released from the store! However the prices were relatively a great deal less expensive then.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I recall those far flung days with a strange mixture of fondness and bitterness - fondness because it was all so rosy and affordable, bitterness because I was in high school and couldn't afford it unless I starved myself of school lunches for a week. :D
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Constantine wrote:
Welcome to the forum and the game. I always found Isengard one of the most intimidating factions to play against. Haha it seems you really have a grunge on the elves. What miniatures do you have so far?

i have a few actually! i won 60 Uruk-hai pikemen, warriors and Siege Troops. ive also got 6 Berserkers and 6 crossbows and 6 warg riders. also have the Mordor Orcs. as for heroes i have a Saruman, Ugluk, Vrasku and Lurtz

my next plan is to get Sharku and a troll! love it!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Creaky wrote:
I picked up most of my Uruk Hai on eBay quite recently - unpainted, still on the sprue, for half of what GW is currently charging. It's certainly worth checking out for some bargains - the Uruk captain and Banner carrier can usually be had for a nice price, too.

Hey creaky i picked up all of my army from ebay it really makes the game more affordable. Just need to get my hands on a Banner Carrier
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am the man responsible for hooking this fish :lol: atleast if you are battling me then one of us will be a winner! And it wont be you :twisted: welcome to the site
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

warg rider wrote:
Creaky wrote:

Hey creaky i picked up all of my army from ebay it really makes the game more affordable. Just need to get my hands on a Banner Carrier

Yeah, it's a life saver for those older models - particularly those that came out WITH the movies, because loads of people ended up with collections of models they either didn't want or grew out of, and are still available. Lovely stuff.

It's worth checking out some of those multi-list lots on ebay, occasionally you get something really cool buried in the mix, so to speak. :)

And that's a nice bundle of Uruks you've got yourself! Quit the horde!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome Warg rider , i also have spent a good eight years on MMORPG's and you lose the patience and clarity of "fun". This hobby can be expensive if you let it however the patience and the non " instant gratification" ( Desire to have something instantly perfect or have it now without effort ) of each model you paint to the highest you can do , leaves a very long lasting feeling of success. This i would in my opinion be that tangible feeling compared to say owning all the skins on LoL ( League of Legends ) or perhaps being top 50 in the world on WoW ( World of Warcraft ) raiding wise , they just do not compare and i welcome more people who see this wisdom :)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Definitely.

I love video games, I really do, but I know that in 20/30 years I can look at a (hopefully) glorious collection of miniatures that I've assembled, painted, gamed with and continue to game with - long after the games of today are little more than a memory.

That hope - of one day being able to look back on this with pride and affection, is one of the things that keeps me going, keeps me playing and painting when some damned fool comes up with a price rise, or something. Can't get that with many other hobbies. They exist in the moment - miniatures can last forever. :D
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

RefluentMonk wrote:
Welcome Warg rider , i also have spent a good eight years on MMORPG's and you lose the patience and clarity of "fun". This hobby can be expensive if you let it however the patience and the non " instant gratification" ( Desire to have something instantly perfect or have it now without effort ) of each model you paint to the highest you can do , leaves a very long lasting feeling of success. This i would in my opinion be that tangible feeling compared to say owning all the skins on LoL ( League of Legends ) or perhaps being top 50 in the world on WoW ( World of Warcraft ) raiding wise , they just do not compare and i welcome more people who see this wisdom :)

RefluentMonk i am glad someone understands where i am coming from. Gaming is just too time committing and in the end its actually for nothing at all. I am quiet happy giving it up. i will admit i do have temptations as i still follow the gaming development/review sites but on the other hand they also help me keep away from caving in and buying "next Gen" as the stuff coming out i the future is the same at say 8 years ago just more visually sunning and larger scale. Also what is it with people and COD?! Activision sure know how to get money out of people selling the same thing with, as you put, different skins or in there case different maps. Death to electronic gaming. Plus the fact is Table top is more socially welcoming. Electronic gaming seems to bring together the bullies and racist :P Rant over

As for the taking time building/buying items too soon.... i will confess with this being my first month i did spend a bit of cash getting my army together ready for battle but from here on (i will really try) i can slowly collect additions to my Army and focus on painting my men :)

Last edited by warg rider on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Creaky wrote:
warg rider wrote:
Creaky wrote:

Yeah, it's a life saver for those older models - particularly those that came out WITH the movies, because loads of people ended up with collections of models they either didn't want or grew out of, and are still available. Lovely stuff.

It's worth checking out some of those multi-list lots on ebay, occasionally you get something really cool buried in the mix, so to speak. :)

And that's a nice bundle of Uruks you've got yourself! Quit the horde!

I do have a lot but my plan is to build an army i need of them and sell some on. only cost me £20 so i felt quiet happy :)