All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Desolation of Smaug release thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm kind of pleased about the Gundabad orcs. They're close enough to the mountain of Isengard plastic I've got that some nifty conversion work should be no bother at all!

At the same time, I don't think they look bad. Uninspiringly painted perhaps, but not bad.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well it's not easy to judge miniatures without proper pictures. Also a bad paint job can ruin a lot.

I just hope the orcs comes out asap, hopefully around January or February.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

orc-archer wrote:
Well it's not easy to judge miniatures without proper pictures. Also a bad paint job can ruin a lot.

I just hope the orcs comes out asap, hopefully around January or February.

Me too. Still hope they make orcs like in the battle of Azanulbizar.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My only problem with them is that they look like they're wearing mithril or something. It's so damn shiny. But... painted in rusted, corroded iron, I reckon they'll look absolutely great. I have literally no idea why the shiniest paintjob in the range would be given to Orcs, of all factions.

Perhaps Azog is just really vain, and likes to go to war surrounded by mirrors so he can stop and pout.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm gonna try and save my excitement for tomorrow/Sunday, but I want to read all the spoilers...! :shock:

OERP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

mertaal wrote:
it doesn't suddenly make an army that doesn't take advantage of the new shiny toys unplayable. But it does change the way you might think about constructing your list and operating in-game...In my opinion, mixing things up and changing around the dynamic is a good thing, and keeps the game alive and vibrant.

Creaky wrote:
I seem to recall, perhaps not on this site, but certainly locally for me, some discussion when AUJ came along that Heroes and Warriors alike were overpowered. Eventually, it turned out that, whilst potent on paper, they still had disadvantages, weaknesses, or areas that they did not excel in, balancing things out. Azog is a beast, especially against Heroes, but if he looses a fight, or gets shot at, then he's in real trouble because he has very little fate and armour. I suspect we'll see something similar here - Tauriel and co are tricksy against hordes, but a tough hero, magic or some dedicated sniping might expose their weaknesses

I completely agree with the two posts above, new rules always seem overpowered as we haven't worked out ways to counter them yet. Sure a 100% bow limit Elf army with extra combat punch seems unstoppable now but bear in mind these armies won't have Stormcallers, won't have spears, won't have 2+ shooting and will be all D3. There will certainly be ways to crack it. I actually think GW have so far done a great job with the Hobbit releases of releasing cool new troops/characters with advantages and disadvantages without too much power creep. Hunter orcs are great when they win but die in droves when they lose. Thrian's awesome but doesn't get Burly, Thror's awesome but potentially only has 1 Fate, Azog's awesome offensively but his defence is low, Grimhammers are widely considered underpowered etc. I think the same will be true of the new releases, Tauriel sounds great but I'm guessing she's D4 (5 max) so will be quite easy to take down with shooting

Big Dog wrote:
Was planning on a spider list but with the rules being a bit underwhelming I might just buy some of the older spiders.

That's quite the understatement, they seem to be massively underpowered and overcosted which is a real shame as I was gonna get a few but they seem utterly unviable for points match games. Not to mention the fact that you supposedly need 6 and 18 (That's £200 of Finecast spiders!!!!!) for the two spider scenarios so sadly I'll have to give these a miss en mass, they're the only stat/rules rumours I've heard that I've been disappointed with to be honest (again, supports my 'no-huge power creep' theory). I'll probably still get one box though just cos the figures are so nice.

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Warriors of dale are slightly better fighters than the laketown guard and the laketown cannot take shields.

No shields?!?!? Wow, so do Laketowners officially take the crown as worst troop anywhere ever? Basic men without shields, hear me tremble! :lol: It's a bit of a shame as they feature prominently in my master-plan tournament force for this year! Ah well, they'll still be cool figures to buy and paint and I'll just have to grin and bear the stats, I suppose they make sense fluff-wise for what looks like a fairly run-down town (love the look of movie Laketown BTW).

black1blade wrote:
Look at the hordes of batch painted hunter orcs! They actually have on one of the ones they painted for AUJ in the bottom left corner and you can really see the difference :lol:

You're nearly spot on but they're not batch painted by the studio, all those yellow/orange orcs are actually Duncan Rhodes' army! I'm sure they look nice enough and everything but it's a shame to see that the studio aren't even willing to put the painting resources into the game (it looks like they'd only need to do one more box of Hunter orcs and two more of Hunter Orcs on Wargs). I must admit I find that sort of thing slightly frustrating and lazy for big glamour photography for supplement books.

Bartelomeus wrote:
Man, those Gundabad Orcs are shiny. I was anticipating big, scruffy Orc's like we saw during the AUJ flashback.

See my comment above about the other models in that photo being Duncan Rhodes', it's actually quite possible that those orcs are his own ones and not the studio versions, they certainly look more batch painted than 'front of box' quality. I agree on the appearance but this is surely down to the paint job, I'll need a closer look to be sure, hopefully there's more pics in the book (14 hours to go!) but a dirty, rusty paint-job should make a big difference. Who knows though, perhaps that's how they're portrayed in the movie?

Just had another worrying thought, assuming Bear Beorn is Finecast like his mannish compatriot how much is he going to be?!?!? That's a solid lump of Finecast right there. Finecast Troll chieftain is £25, similar to that?

Thanks for the new Gandalf pic Southy, like many have said it's another gorgeous sculpt of him but near impossible to justify when I've got 4 unpainted Gandalfs waiting for the brush!

Looking forward to discussing everything in far more detail tomorrow when we all start getting our hands on the book!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't any one will convince me that Tauril and these new elves are "balanced" their combat rules are ridiculously OP. Sure you can adapt around it by feeding them 1 troop at a time but GW is ruining the game rapidly in my opinion.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
I don't any one will convince me that Tauril and these new elves are "balanced" their combat rules are ridiculously OP. Sure you can adapt around it by feeding them 1 troop at a time but GW is ruining the game rapidly in my opinion.

Give it a few months of playing against them, and then make your decision of how powerful they are :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Honestly I think the good armies have never had models fitting of their troops. If they went back and revisited the profiles using the current good warriors as a baseline, I think everyone would be happy.

Evil models meanwhile should generally stay the same, though maybe some more differentiation between mordor orcs and moria goblins. Elves should have more than one attack, and should be able to kill orcs and goblins in droves.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The way to balance these new units is too well level their points cost out.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Tezzy wrote:
Honestly I think the good armies have never had models fitting of their troops. If they went back and revisited the profiles using the current good warriors as a baseline, I think everyone would be happy.

Evil models meanwhile should generally stay the same, though maybe some more differentiation between mordor orcs and moria goblins. Elves should have more than one attack, and should be able to kill orcs and goblins in droves.

If that's to happen then they need to distance the points values greatly because an elf with multiple attacks and the 5 fight becomes exponentially harder to kill

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
Tezzy wrote:

If that's to happen then they need to distance the points values greatly because an elf with multiple attacks and the 5 fight becomes exponentially harder to kill

Yep, I wish Noldor had 2A, for flavour, but they'd need to cost around 16+ points each, and Rivendell Knights upwards of 25. Makes for a pretty small army, and then since they're all still only 1W, you could easily have a run of bad luck that crushes you.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
I don't any one will convince me that Tauril and these new elves are "balanced" their combat rules are ridiculously OP.

Maybe not but I think perhaps a few months of gaming with/against them may. There's no doubt they're very good on paper but how competitive they'll be in points match games where you often win by sticking around the longest won't be clear for a good few months.

JamesR wrote:
Sure you can adapt around it by feeding them 1 troop at a time but GW is ruining the game rapidly in my opinion.

I remember last year everyone going berserk about how massively overpowered Bolg was. "Fight 7? He's better than Aragorn! Mighty Hero after 10 kills?!?!? He'll be unstoppable!!!! This is horrendous power creep from GW!!!" on paper he looked amazing but I think it's now a pretty common consensus that he's a massive points sink who's very easy to neutralise and who rarely reaches his 10 kill quota.

As for ruining the game, that is, IMO, incredibly harsh, the the Hobbit rules gave the system a much needed shake-up whilst the new profiles added wonderful new flavour to army lists and really changed the meta. I'm looking forward to this year's releases doing the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dr Grant wrote:
Just had another worrying thought, assuming Bear Beorn is Finecast like his mannish compatriot how much is he going to be?!?!? That's a solid lump of Finecast right there. Finecast Troll chieftain is £25, similar to that?

I don't want to bear the thought of the price, he must be huge judged on the base size, which means a pretty high price.

I wonder how they painted the green cloth parts of the Mirkwood elves, any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There's always the possibility that these new sculpts (as in presumably sculpted this year) are plastic but there's just something about Beorn, Bard, Alfrid and the Master that 'looks' Finecast to me.

As for elf colours, White Dwarf says:

Dark green (the leafy flowing coats) is:

base: Caliban
wash: Nuln Oil
layer: Castellan Green
layer: Elysian Green

Light green (boots):

base: castellan green
wash: Biel-tan green
Layer: Loren Forest
Layer: Straken Green

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@DrGrant Brilliant, thanks a lot!

I also think the rest of the characters will be finecast too, note that they do not have special sculpted base which most single plastic characters have these days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dr Grant wrote:
As for ruining the game, that is, IMO, incredibly harsh, the the Hobbit rules gave the system a much needed shake-up whilst the new profiles added wonderful new flavour to army lists and really changed the meta. I'm looking forward to this year's releases doing the same.

As to the Hobbit rules I like them for the most part, I don't think anyone wants monsters as they were, and while I'm not a huge fan of special strikes (as Thermo has said on YouTube they need tweaking) I do like that they add more tactical options. But I will stand by heroic strike being OP (remove the cap however and I'd be fine with it)

My complaint is the Hobbit is starting to look like a 40k arms race. "Oh let's add flyers, now all your non-flyers are obsolete" "here's the new Codex now this is the best team in the game (until the next new codex)"
I hate schemes that make new units superior to the old. I'd have bought some new Elves and Tauril anyways but now I'm less enthusiastic. I was expecting an elf on Haldir's level, not one with more offensive potential than Sauron himself lol.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

orc-archer wrote:

I don't want to bear the thought of the price

Ahahahahahahaha! :rofl:

Ahem.

If he's too expensive i can't imagine a generic Bear miniature/small toy would be too hard to find. Stick it on the appropriate base and you're laughing. The mini doesn't seem to have any real distinguishing features that would make such a straight up swap unfeasible.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:07 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

JamesR wrote:
I was expecting an elf on Haldir's level, not one with more offensive potential than Sauron himself lol.

Ha, yeah she has the potential to be the best killer in the game I suppose! :-)

Still, you can avoid that by just not swamping her as she can only realistically charge two models at a time. I'm also guessing she's a 2 wound, 2 Fate hero with D4 or 5 so for a combat hero she's actually quite vulnerable on that turn where she doesn't roll a 6 so you might not want to throw her forward, something of a glass cannon.

Time will tell but I think the she'll find a place as a popular but not broken hero; I think the Rangers' extra attack rule will compensate for them losing the 2+ shoot value and ability to shield. Ultimately I like the new rule as it's genuinely different to stuff we've had before and presents different but not unbeatable tactical challenges.

The potentially overpowered part of their rules is the 100% bow limit on an army of models that all have elven cloaks so can hide behind terrain and vanish. However, the fact that they HAVE to take elven cloaks makes them expensive so you'll have less of the models.

Purely as an example, here's a Rough army comparrison below:

Old Mirkood (33% bows) 407 points

Leggy
Thranduil
9 Mirkwood Guard with bows
16 Wood elves with spears

27 models
Break 14 dead
9 shots per turn (+heroes) hitting on 2+

New Mirkwood (100% bows) 404 points

Leggy
Thranduil
16 Mirkwood Rangers

18 models
Break - 9 dead
16 shots per turn (+heroes) hitting on 3+

The old list has 9 more models and should hit with 7/8 per turn, the new list breaks far quicker and should hit with 10/11 per turn. It's not actually that big a difference and I think most people would actually pick the 9 extra models, spear support, higher break point and ability to shield over the combat attacks and elf cloaks.

That's just one example, I honestly don't know how popular they will be but I don't think they're quite as overpowered as they might seem.

I can't wait to get mine on the table though and find out that I'm wrong! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:17 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well I used a warband of rangers led by tauriel in a game earlier. They were very annoying for my opponent, as all cloaks meant he could hardly shoot them. They didn't get many kills shooting wise nor did they get too many in combat. You have to outnumber your opponent if you wanna kill. Tauriel struggled, I sent her in against a harad chief which she held at bay but only did one wound.

Overall: need more play testing but defo not as OP as they appear on paper.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1003 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 51  Next