All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:26 pm

Post subject: Re: Desolation of Smaug Reviews
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:
And on a website like this, it's generally a good idea not to be condescending to others.

Thao owned up to it, so I'm going to let the posts stand for now. Also:

I apologize to Draugluin for the hijacking, and turning this into another Love or Hate thread. Bad call and poor timing on my part :oops:

If I wanted to whine about AUJ I should have made my own thread. I don't want to take away anyone's enthusiasm for the next movie. Despite my comments, I *am* going to see it, and at the very least am very much looking forward to the visuals. So I'll ask that anyone else inspired by my bad taste not continue in that vein. Thanks…
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

aelfwine wrote:
The "theme park" elements sit awkwardly with moments of genuine drama. It's not as if the older trilogy was immune from this, but the original felt

I'm glad it was made, was happy to see it, will be happy to see the next two films, but none of them will have the charm of Fellowship.

An excellent post, and one I agree with pretty much all of.

It's a shame that they need to flesh out with all this guff, but if that's the price I have to pay to see the films made, I'll pay it.

Jackson is adding rather than subtracting. I'd be wholly peeved if half the actual story was dropped in favour of mindless action. I understand why Tom Bombadil was dropped from LotR. I'd be less understanding of dropping, for example, Bjorn from the Hobbit in order to fit in the mountain giants.

From a hobby point of view, it's great for us. It stretches out GW's support of the game till the film franchise ends, which would already have been the case were only 1 or 2 films to be made.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Anyone else here going to an advance screening? I managed to win a pair of tickets off the *other* One Ring site, and am going tomorrow! :D I'm in the middle of exams, but I may be able to post a bit of a review if people are interested...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that's more or less a given!!! (but remember to use spoiler tags for any detail). :d

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you spoil it for me, I will backtrack your IP address, find you, and squash you into jelly!

Lol, jk. I don't know how to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bring a troll.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Post is up. I made it a whole new topic so that those who don't want to know won't. :) *Cough**Drauglin**COUGH* :E
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I understand that PJ is torn between pleasing the mainstream audience and Tolkien fans. I think he did a good job getting in between the two with silly (but awesome) barrel action as well as Smaug/Bilbo's dialogue which was near perfection. The only thing I can say I really resent about the DOS is Tauriel, who just has no place in a shoddy love triangle.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Heck, Tauriel was fine until the stupid Athelas scene. Which shouldn't have been in Lake-Town because the plant only grows on former settlements of the men of Numenor, who never lived in that area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

aelfwine wrote:
I honestly think "theme park ride" IS a new genre of film. Traditionally action sequences are there to serve the story. Traditionally they are expensive, messy to shoot and hard to do retakes, so you only want a few of them and you want it to really stand out.

Seconding aelfwines view posted previous

I like most was a little dissapointed in the first hobbit movie, it had some good stuff but also some poor stuff. To some up: I liked the Hobbit, I LOVED Lord of the Rings.

Back on topic, I am hoping DoS has little more Good stuff and little less silly, any report on that from those who have seen it? But will see it regardless :rofl:

In Aus it comes out on Boxing day! (as did each of the LotR movies) I have fond memories of that tradition and will try to renew it this year!

WIP: Riders of Rohan
Backlog: 63

Elves: 210
Numenor: 392
Mordor: 524
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:09 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Draugluin wrote:
That stupid Athelas scene. Which shouldn't have been in Lake-Town because the plant only grows on former settlements of the men of Numenor, who never lived in that area.

Too true, :(
PJ, a self-proclaimed Tolkien fanatic, overlooks some very important features of the Tolkien world. :roll:

Check out my WIP! :meh:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:49 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I went last night and really enjoyed it but thought it was a shame they’ve expanded the story while dropping several iconic parts of the book.

Click to: Show
My first issue is that once again there are many scenes missing from the trailers (Azog climbing over the wall, Thrain the broken). I think PJ should give up on releasing trailers as he changes things right up to the last minute.

I think Beorn was done badly. Sticking to the book version would have been much better and Beorn could have gone out in the night to engage Azog and the hunter orcs. That would have given us a good dialogue scene and a good fight scene.

The river scene was missing from Mirkwood and they travelled through far too fast.

I thought compressing all Bilbo’s encounters with Smaug worked okay and I can see how it works better as a film than several encounters.

I really don’t like the design of Smaug. I originally painted my Lord of the Rings dragon green as I hoped there would be a Smaug model. Now I’m regretting that a little as I don’t think I’ll be buying a GW model (if they make one). I’m not keen on the 4 limbs instead of 6 but the head seems all wrong, too many bones and spikes and not sleek enough.

I do think being hunted by Azog adds a nice extra element of peril.

There were also a couple of really nice things that benefit from being made after LotR. I liked the statue in Mirkwood that had the Eye of Mordor on it.

I enjoyed the barrel scene and Bombur’s antics. Again the hunter Ircs added to the scene here.

Seeing Bard and his family also worked well I think. The black arrows were interesting, although I hope Bard uses his bow and not the contraption to fire it.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All I am saying is this.
I loved it so much except that love triangle.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Heh, I had the opposite, just saw it last night. The attraction scenes were about the only coherent dialogue in the entire movie, which was mostly made up of:

"Do this."
"No, no, no, no, no."
"Please?"
"No! Well, okay."

Or the ever present: "this is our only choice".

What was left was such a chopped up mash I'm surprised it even made sense, which it probably wouldn't if you never read the book.

In case somebody isn't expecting spoilers for the rest:
Click to: Show
Anyway, I enjoyed DOS much more than AUJ. The barrel-ride roller coaster made much more sense than the goblin-town roller coaster, and was even over-the-top hilarious in a South Park kind of way with Bombur's barrel . The whole movie was graphically excellent as usual. Smaug being biped was a nice touch. The power hints of the Ring well crafted. Gandalf vs Sauron was great, and I liked the impact of Sauron's shape-shifting. Somehow, that partly humanoid shape he kept trying to achieve was more chilling than the eye shape, but if you know the lore it also reveals his frustration at not being able to achieve a full shape yet.

The dwarves stealing from the armoury was just stupid IMHO. How Thorin goes from thief-caught-red-handed to offering to share in the riches of his restored kingdom is beyond me. What Bard should have said was "but, this guy was just looting your armoury, you're going to trust him?" The whole scene would have worked better if the dwarves were just spotted and captured after a chase. Then Thorin's appeal would have worked seamlessly.

I also don't know how the lake-towners didn't notice a bunch of orcs running around on their rooftops. :roll:

But all that aside, it was a better movie. I could actually watch it again, whereas I saw AUJ once, and never intend to again.